What units do we upgrade?

Last offseason, there was a clear goal to upgrade the secondary and patchwork the linebackers and defensive line group.  On offense, the targeted position group was the wide receiver spot which hasn't worked out so well just yet but there certainly is potential there still.  So what units do you think they will focus on this time?  They focused on the speed groups in wide receiver and secondary last time.  You can only upgrade so many needs and we have several. 

The linebackers need upgrading.  I think Milano is the only certain starter on that group based on his potential and the expectation to continue to get better as he seemed to do over the course of his rookie year.  Brown might stay on for another year but I don't see him as the MLB that McDermott wants for the long haul. 

While there is a clear need to upgrade the linebackers, there is also a clear need to add some young talent to the defensive line that has underperformed over the last few years after creating such lofty standards with Jim Schwartz. Hughes and Williams future are question marks.  There is a huge need at DT.  Lawson is also a question mark even though I feel better about Lawson's play than some fans do.  I see a potentially great run stuffing defensive end that just needs to shake his injury spat here and get an actual full season in.  He had 4 sacks in less than 3/4 of the season, so he was on pace for about 6-7 sacks in his second year.  I think that's pretty good and add in his run stuffing abilities, I think he could have a breakout year next year if he's completely healthy.  But his injuries are a big question mark. 

Then there's the offensive line which seems to be hanging on by a thread.  Glenn is constantly hurt, if he stays and is healthy, then he can be a pro-bowl player.  But those injury concerns with that large contract at over 14 million, I think he could be moved in a tradeup in the draft for a QB.  I think in an ideal world, using him as a trade chip in this draft to find a QB is the most valuable way to move on from him.  Maybe he could save us some draft picks and a tackle-needy team like the Giants could be the perfect team.  Wood retired. Groy could potentially be a solid fill-in but I'm not sure if he's the long-term answer at center.  RG needs an upgrade and so does RT.  Even if Glenn stays and is healthy, there are some big needs inside as Incognito's place on this team is somewhat questionable as well.  

The QB is the biggest need on this team in my opinion.  We need a more aggressive QB who can make the quick passes and see the field.  This position will almost certainly be addressed and will cost a lot, either in draft picks or in cap space.  This is a must.  

If we trade up and get the QB, I think we only fill the needs of one other position group.  If we don't trade up, I could see us filling most of the other needs besides the QB.  

What groups do you think we target this year and what groups do you think will be left to patch up?  

Edited by Buffalo30

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

just get the QB.  the rest will fall into place. get the QB then build around them

What's the next position you would address after that? What's the bigger need at position group outside of QB with the roster we have now?

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Units? Front 7 & WR Corps.

If you could only upgrade two units after getting the QB.  Front 7 counts as two units.  Offensive line and wide receivers are also two of their biggest needs.  Which ones would you pick? 

QB- but it’s gotta be responsibly ( bet the farm on the wrong guy and it’s 2-3 seasons of burning tires in a landfill) 

Outside speed WR

DE - true pass rusher 

DT

SAM, WILL or MIKE

Outside CB

another DT 

nickel CB 

guard 

KR/RB 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

10 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

If you could only upgrade two units after getting the QB.  Front 7 counts as two units.  Offensive line and wide receivers are also two of their biggest needs.  Which ones would you pick?

I just don't see it that way. Our biggest needs are ILB, DT, CB, & WR. That's why I said front 7. We don't need LB's across the board, per se, but as of the new league year we will have exactly 1 ILB on our roster: Xavier Woodson-Luster. and we will have 3 DTs on our roster: Washington, Lewis, and Hatley. We also only have 2 CBs on our roster in Tre White & Breon Borders.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

What's the next position you would address after that? What's the bigger need at position group outside of QB with the roster we have now?

get the QB at all costs.  they can fix the other holes through the draft and FA.  RT, LB, CB, WR, DT are the biggest needs.  whatever they don't get in the draft get a nice veteran for cheap.  but QB is such a priority i can't even think about anything else

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

QB- but it’s gotta be responsibly ( bet the farm on the wrong guy and it’s 2-3 seasons of burning tires in a landfill) 

Outside speed WR

DE - true pass rusher 

DT

SAM, WILL or MIKE

Outside CB

another DT 

nickel CB 

guard 

KR/RB 

Hughes was signed to a big contract to be a game changing pass rusher..and Lawson was drafted for the same reason..those two need to be put under a microscope next year.The both of them need to put up or shut up.

• Like (+1) 1

In Order

QB - Obvious (Draft)

DT - Get some push in the middle the outside rush looks alot better (Star- UFA)

LB - Need a SAM. Might need a Mike (depends on what Brown Asks for) (Brahdam -UFA

WR - Need Speed. (draft or after draft UFA)

DE - Depth (after draft UFA)

OL - Line is fine for this year. Get some depth later in draft. (draft)

Edited by MAJBobby

18 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Hughes was signed to a big contract to be a game changing pass rusher..and Lawson was drafted for the same reason..those two need to be put under a microscope next year.The both of them need to put up or shut up.

I truly believe Lawson was drafted to start out as a solid run defender who can add a few sacks while Hughes was supposed to be the big time pass rusher.  He was never a big time sack artist in college but more of a run stuffer who could get to the QB every now and again.  Lawson did a solid job setting the edge versus the run and had 4 sacks in his ten games this year.  He was on pace for around 6-8 sacks and close to 50 tackles.  That's a pretty solid year in terms of production from a second year DE in my opinion.  However, he absolutely has to get healthy.  If he plays a full season this year, he could be a solid player. Hoping with an improved inside, the end rushers will be able to get to the passer better.  Main thing for him is to just stay on the field.