Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Eric Galko has a new podcast today. I linked it with this thread in case anyone missed what he said last month. Great listen. Highlights from today:

- Giants not trading out of 2. Gettleman keeps things very close to the vest but will take Barkley. The Bills gave tried to trade for the pick many, many, many times since mid January. No trade.

- could work out better for Bills - maybe will trade for pick 4

- Broncos will not take a QB at 5 no matter who is there. Elway likes Keenum and wants to win. He also isn’t ready to give up on Paxton Lynch who he just took in the 1st 2 years ago. He has a small SB window with the defense and wants to build op the OL in this draft. Quenton Nelson. 

- Cardinals - no QB in first 2 rounds. They believe Bradford can be their franchise QB and doubled down at the position in FA by signing Mike Glennon. They have 28mill invested in the position and aren’t going to add to it with a 1st rd QB. May take one later.

- Ravens - leaning toward Kyle Lauletta. Fits what they want to do and where they want to take a QB (thinks they will take him late 2nd, could trade down)

-Miami - will take a Qb and likes Mayfield but he won’t be there. Going 3 to Jets. Pegging Mike White in the 3rd, perfect for Gase. Indicated Bills also like Mike White.

- jets - Mayfield is the pick at 3. Rosen could still be in play, but Mayfield is their guy. Jets knew who they would get when traded up to 3.

-Bills - fighting to move up. Will trade with Browns for 4. They will have the pick of Rosen and whoever the Browns don’t take (Darnold or Allen). Everyone believes the Browns are taking Darnold, and not to believe the crap getting fed to Schefter et al about Allen going 1.

- Colts will trade down and take RoJo at bottom of 1st

- not every team in top 10 needs a QB or wants to trade down so QBs will fall

- do not dismiss what people are saying about Rosen. There are teams that will not take him because of his “personality”

- Josh Jackson is a top 20 pick, will be 2nd CB off the board and could go before Minkah.

- Mike Hughes will not be a 1st rd pick or even early 2nd 

- TE Hayden Hurst to Jags

- guice, Kirk, Taven Bryan likely to go early 2nd rd

Pretty much everything he said makes perfect sense, and would be a perfect scenario for the Bills. 

I still worry about Elway going QB at 5, especially if Rosen is sitting there. So getting to #4 would be nice. But it'd be cheaper to get to 6/7. Or in this scenario we may even be able to sit at 12 and draft Rosen, which would be an absolute dream come true. 

Id still rather trade up to 6/7 if Rosen is there and the price is reasonable, just to be sure. 

Thanks for sharing this Yolo! 

• Like (+1) 1

So in a nutshell, Galko is suggesting we will trade with the Browns to get their Pick #4, and with that pick either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold will be available to take, although the expectation is Cleveland takes Darnold with the #1 pick and therefore our choice would be between Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.

Do you think he's joshing us? 

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Maybe both. You never know these days

So true.

I still believe there are only 2 QB worthy of top 10 pick so I agree with this guy. Unless there are stupid trades I still see only Mayfield and Darnold as top ten worthy. Now Rosen and Allen my go in the top ten but Bills should be able to get them at 7-10.

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The thing I don't understand, is the Bills are fighting to move to #4....but after Broncos, no one besides Miami will want a QB before the Bills pick at 12. So, if the info is believed to be true (not saying is or isn't), then Rosen, Jackson, and probably Allen are there are 12. Why trade up? 

I continue to think the Bills want to stay at 12, the information provided only validates that IMO....now, who knows what Galko is saying to be true or accurate, but it "sounds" reasonable. And again, the Bills made all of the moves to acquire picks, except to move up to 12 BEFORE the season even started. So, while I can see the 12th pick for the Bills being valuable, as Beane said they had a guy in mind that won't last until the 12th pick, I don't necessarily think it's to trade up. I think they got the picks to rebuild the roster in a hurry. JMO

If the Bills could be certain of everything that Galko claims in the podcast, that would be true.  Knowing that there are complete surprises every year, it may be that the Bills, who have most likely heard everything claimed in the podcast, may not trust it all to be true.  If they are certain they want one of the three (Darnold/Allen/Rosen) the only way to insure you can get what you want is to trade up.

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

So in a nutshell, Galko is suggesting we will trade with the Browns to get their Pick #4, and with that pick either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold will be available to take, although the expectation is Cleveland takes Darnold with the #1 pick and therefore our choice would be between Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.

Do you think he's joshing us? 

So true.

Yes he thinks Rosen and Allen will be available at 4

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So in other words Jets contol what we get at QB. 

Maybe, maybe not. Let's say the Bills like Rosen, they trade to 4 and he's there. The Jets didn't control anything, though they had the ability to. The Jets were ahead of the Bills from the start due to record and have stayed there for now and quite possibly into the draft. That won't change unless the pick at #2 is available, which again is out of the Bills control. The Browns hold ALL the cards right now, not the Jets. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I still believe there are only 2 QB worthy of top 10 pick so I agree with this guy. Unless there are stupid trades I still see only Mayfield and Darnold as top ten worthy. Now Rosen and Allen my go in the top ten but Bills should be able to get them at 7-10.

This has become my thinking as well.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes he thinks Rosen and Allen will be available at 4

I really think the Browns are going to take Allen.  I think Haley sees Roethlisberger and Dorsey sees Favre.  I think they are going to try to sit him all year while Hue and Haley work on him behind Tyrod.

I've been convinced the Giants Darnold talk is smoke screen.  I think they really want Barkley and are worried about the Browns taking him at 1.

Baker is just too classic Jets.  I think Rosen is out for them for political reasons, I think Baker has a similar play style to McCown and they want the headlines.

I have a gut feeling we'll be trading into the 4-6 range for one of Rosen or Darnold.  And it's not going to cost 87 draft picks to do it like some of the Chicken Littles think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If Barkley goes #2, I think Beane is going to laugh anyone asking for the 2019 1st off the phone.

You think 12 / 53 / 56 for 4 is an offensive overpayment?

Look at the board mock draft thread. There's not one player available around 53 I'd hesitate giving up to get our QB.  If we can get one of the QBs while holding on to #22 and all our future picks, it's a slam dunk win.

Nope, that's my mistake. Apologies, for some reason when I first read your post, I thought I saw 22 in there along with those picks. Went back and re-read it and it was confusion on my part. 

To that end, that seems justified. That said, I think personally I would rather give up the 22 and keep both 2nds just because what the Bills need: LB / DT / Interior O-linemen are deep this year and getting two of them  on top of the QB would be a really big plus before the 2nd round ends. Essentially, you'd have your QB a LG and MLB....DT is really good this draft so I'd wait until the 3rd if I had to give up one of the first four picks to get to 4.....one more reason, with all the information mentioned, I think I'd play the gambler and wait until everything shakes out in the top 5 and start trading hunting around #7 and see what the price is.....JMO

19 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well the risk you run if you don't move up at all is someone else then trades up to 8 or 9 to get the QB.  All of a sudden it becomes easier for a team like say with two 1st round picks to get up to #8, but would take too much for them to go all he way to #4.  Others even with one 1st round could offer multiple 2nd or 3rd's to get up that high.

19 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Exactly.  Even if there's 2 QBs on the board, once you let it get to pick 7, 8, 9 there's a chance someone else moves up to take one, then the 49ers and / or Raiders don't want to move back, then Miami gets the other one right in front of you.

All of this I understand, but the rest of Galko's info is that the Cards nor the Ravens want to invest in a QB in the 1st, so that leaves who? Everyone else is way down the chart that could consider grooming a replacement, i.e. Saints. So theoretically the Saints could give up a ton to go get a guy, but if Mayfield and Darnold are gone and it's down to Rosen and Jackson in the top 4, how far do you think the Saints can or want to go when Brees is still playing lights out AND they've re-designed their scheme to be more of a running based Offense? I think they're in a similar situation as the Giants: great QB with a couple years left and they want to maximize the opportunities. Saints would have to give up a boatload to get into the top 10.....so that begs the question, who threatens the Bills before #12? I'm sure there IS a team out there, which is why I look at Tampa as the landing spot, but the cost to go from 12 to 7, is so significant in difference it warrants the wait, again IMHO.

16 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I really think the Browns are going to take Allen.  I think Haley sees Roethlisberger and Dorsey sees Favre.  I think they are going to try to sit him all year while Hue and Haley work on him behind Tyrod.

I've been convinced the Giants Darnold talk is smoke screen.  I think they really want Barkley and are worried about the Browns taking him at 1.

Baker is just too classic Jets.  I think Rosen is out for them for political reasons, I think Baker has a similar play style to McCown and they want the headlines.

I have a gut feeling we'll be trading into the 4-6 range for one of Rosen or Darnold.  And it's not going to cost 87 draft picks to do it like some of the Chicken Littles think.

I think you and I think alike here.  Every bit of this is my current thinking.  Except I think the giants draft Chubb.  

17 hours ago, TigerJ said:

If the Bills could be certain of everything that Galko claims in the podcast, that would be true.  Knowing that there are complete surprises every year, it may be that the Bills, who have most likely heard everything claimed in the podcast, may not trust it all to be true.  If they are certain they want one of the three (Darnold/Allen/Rosen) the only way to insure you can get what you want is to trade up.

And this is why I love what Beane and company are doing thus far. Absolutely indicating they're willing to stay put because they won't over pay for a Draft pick. Right now, as it stands, there is no one trying to push Buffalo out of the way now that the Jets are in the #3 spot. That means, if they did try and trade up today, they would essentially be bidding against themselves. It makes sense for Beane to just.....wait. See how the top 3 shake out and see what actually happens. I'm sure there will be some indication prior to Draft night since Cleveland can be bold and do whatever they'd like. But right now, it seems the trade up to 12 was so smart.

Rosen was here yesterday, Mayfield here as we speak.  hopefully we see some trade rumors heating up by tomorrow.

ideally we would get to 2 and get our guy but i don't think Giants want to move out.  I think they have have become smitten with Barkley and will want to stay at 2 to make sure they get him before Cleveland.  that leaves Cleveland at 4 but they have so many picks in this draft I think they would just take Chubb and be happy with that.  Broncos at 5 maybe?  if Rosen is still there i think Elway wouldn't be able to help himself.  he's a QB connoisseur and he knows a good QB when he sees one.  Elway was arrogant coming out as well.  that will not bother him in the least.  Indy at 6?  they didnt' want to trade with Buffalo before because they wanted to stay in the top 10 so why would they now?  i keep going back to Tampa at 7.  i made a thread a while back about it and apparently there have been some discussions.  i think that is potentially as high as we can get unfortunately.  the good news for all of the whiny babies that don't want to trade away the entire draft is that we can get from 12 to 7 by just giving up one of our 2nd round picks.  so we would still have 22, 56, 65, etc

24 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rosen was here yesterday, Mayfield here as we speak.  hopefully we see some trade rumors heating up by tomorrow.

ideally we would get to 2 and get our guy but i don't think Giants want to move out.  I think they have have become smitten with Barkley and will want to stay at 2 to make sure they get him before Cleveland.  that leaves Cleveland at 4 but they have so many picks in this draft I think they would just take Chubb and be happy with that.  Broncos at 5 maybe?  if Rosen is still there i think Elway wouldn't be able to help himself.  he's a QB connoisseur and he knows a good QB when he sees one.  Elway was arrogant coming out as well.  that will not bother him in the least.  Indy at 6?  they didnt' want to trade with Buffalo before because they wanted to stay in the top 10 so why would they now?  i keep going back to Tampa at 7.  i made a thread a while back about it and apparently there have been some discussions.  i think that is potentially as high as we can get unfortunately.  the good news for all of the whiny babies that don't want to trade away the entire draft is that we can get from 12 to 7 by just giving up one of our 2nd round picks.  so we would still have 22, 56, 65, etc

Overall yes, but they could get 3 1st rd picks potentially including one next year. That’s worth it to drop to 12. That’s 3 1st rd picks for Chubb. Next year’s will probably be pretty high too. I don’t think the Bills pull the trigger until draft night though and either Rosen or Mayfield are there after the Jets pick. 

I dont think Beane wants to give up next year’s 1st but I think it’s inevitabje and he will ultimately do it for the QB. Also, if he keeps it to just giving up 1sts this year then he can use the double 2s and 3s this year to grab much needed MLB, WR, OL. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

don't want to trade away the entire draft is that we can get from 12 to 7 by just giving up one of our 2nd round picks.  so we would still have 22, 56, 65, etc

That would be great if possible. Would make moving up to #2 easier.

Just now, kdiggz said:

I'm not really sure why you feel the need to attempt to marginalize and insult a group of people who simply don't agree with your opinion? 

I've been one who is against trading too far up, although on several occasions I've mentioned Tampa at 7 simply because it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. However, I'm equally comfortable standing pat and seeing how the Draft falls given the mass exodus of talent and good players. That said, if getting to 7 "only" took a 2nd to get there, as much as I don't like it, I certainly understand it if Rosen were still available as Galko suggests just to guarantee the team gets Rosen (presuming their love for his accurate). But still, I point to my above posts and ask, if Galko is accurate, who wants a QB in the first round that can reasonably jump ahead into top 10? Maybe the Pats with 2 1sts, but that's about it and it would take more than their 2 1sts to get to the Raiders or higher just because they're so low in the 1st round and I'm not convinced the Pats want to do that....

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So in other words Jets contol what we get at QB. 

We'll see about that... My take on things is that McBeane had an opportunity to outbid the Jets for the #3 pick and passed with the knowledge that he could trade for #2 and get the guy he wants as opposed to the leftovers... At worst, he most likely knew that #4 was also available at a lesser price than the Jets paid for the 3rd pick if all he wanted was anyone of the top 4 QBs... I have a good feeling about how this turns out.(and I am normally a pessimistic guy) Sit Tight!