Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

C’mon.  Rams did it for Goff and won the division in his 2nd season.  Iglesias did it for Wentz and won Super Bowl.  Sometimes you gotta pay what the market demands to get what you want/need.

And McDermott overruled Whaley because he was all in on Tyrod? Sigh!

Its also been reported Whaley loved Mahomes. 

I said it a 1000 times i don't like Mcd making personel decisions . He's a good coach but horrible talent evaluator on offensive side of the ball.  Make no mistake about it Mcd has final say in this regard and it might be costly for us in the future. 

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

15 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Draft Josh Rosen, and who is he throwing to, who's blocking for him and who rushing the passer and stopping the run when you trade away all those assets. I say stay at 21 & 22 and take best QB available. Is Rosen that much better than Rudolph or Allen??

Yes. Rudolph isn't first round talent and Allen is the next Bryce Petty. He sucks. 

If the Bills trade up for Rosen and they are wrong about him, there will be another 17 year playoff drought on the horizon.

Question is............ Do you wanna take that risk? I seriously don't know cause Rosen is no sure thing (like almost any other prospect).

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If the Bills trade up for Rosen and they are wrong about him, there will be another 17 year playoff drought on the horizon.

Question is............ Do you wanna take that risk? I seriously don't know cause Rosen is no sure thing (like almost any other prospect).

It is statistically almost impossible to have another 17 year drought regardless of the Bills' decision.

If Rosen is the next great QB, we might win 4 Superbowls.  

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why will there be? The Vikings took Christian Ponder in the 1st in 2011 and he sucked.  They gave up on him early in year 3, took another shot on Teddy Bridgewater and made the playoffs two seasons later. The Redskins traded up and gave up three years of first round picks for RGIII and yet when they decided early in his 3rd year to give up on him they made the playoffs that year behind Kirk Cousins.  Rookie's don't kill your cap anymore... you can take your shot (especially when you have two first rounders in this draft so at most are giving up one more year) and if 3 years down the line it hasn't worked out you move on.  

I am with Kirby in any event... I think Rosen's floor is a Dalton / Tannehill type NFL starter and you can make the playoffs with that.  I think it is very, very unlikely that he completely busts.

Edited by GunnerBill

Some points:

• Rosen isn't rich. His parents are. :D
  • The only QBs worth moving up for are Rosen and Mayfield. They are so far ahead of the others in every metric, that I'm shocked when I hear Darnold might be going No. 1.
  • Darnold and Allen are the Lockers, Hackenbergs, and Glennons of this draft. 
  • Jackson is a sleeper. If the Bills stood pat, I wouldn't mind if they took him at 21.
  • Rudolph is the enigma. He has talent but hasn't really shown it, and his numbers are not great. I wouldn't touch him in the first round.
  • The Browns or the Giants taking Barkley is just retarded. Stop it. 
  • Everyone is assuming that the Colts aren't in the market for a QB. They very well could be. 
  • giants would be stupid not to take Rosen at 2. Eli is old and declining. But I hope they don't!

Here's where we stand:

Either sign Cousins and keep our picks to fill out the team, but don't have any cap room left to go after any major FAs. 

or

Give up a kings ransom in draft picks to move up to 2, draft Rosen or Mayfield (If the Bills do this to draft anyone else, I !@#$ing quit), but have plenty of cap room and money to sign some decent FAs that could plug some holes. 

What to do? It's a conundrum. If we go with Cousins, we then have to rely on the Bills' drafting prowess to improve the team. Cousins is a known quantity and will most likely be decent. How decent is the question.  On the other hand, if we give up three number 1s, Glenn, and maybe more, we may hit on our franchise guy for years to come. But there is obviously no guarantee. But we at least keep our picks and may hit another home run or two like we did with Tre. And who knows, maybe Jackson or Rudolph or one of the lesser QBs we could take in the 2nd becomes a stud. 

It's a tough one and I'm not going to pretend to know the answer. I just know I hate trading up and giving up so much...but it seems to have worked for the Rams and Eagles...

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Eh? 

They could announce to the world they are picking Darnold, Rosen, or the Prophet Mohammad, and there's not a thing any other team could do  about it. The Browns don't need to be putting out "smokescreens." 

Edited by Domdab99

6 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

They could announce to the world they are picking Darnold, Rosen, or the Prophet Mohammad, and there's not a thing any other team could do  about it. The Browns don't need to be putting out "smokescreens." 

Where did I suggest the Browns were putting out smokescreens?  I just didn't understand how you comment related to the post of mine you quoted.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Where did I suggest the Browns were putting out smokescreens?  I just didn't understand how you comment related to the post of mine you quoted.  

Hmmm, someone did, maybe I clicked the wrong button!  :)

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not sure what you mean by "clean draft." But GMs getting their franchise QB in their first draft are actually a fairly common thing. Makes perfect sense, really, and seems very likely that it's why McD acquired the extra picks in the first place.

Whether the guy they want will be available is another question, of course, as is how far we'll be able to trade up.

Clean draft = No Whaley or his Team to blame or praise in this draft. We know who is running the show.
 Apologize for lack of clarity ^^

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

It is statistically almost impossible to have another 17 year drought regardless of the Bills' decision.

If Rosen is the next great QB, we might win 4 Superbowls.  

It was almost statistically impossible to have the 17 year drought to begin with !

One thing on smokescreens is that typically, the news you hear early in draft season is often closer to the truth than what you hear close to the draft. Smokescreen season hasn't technically started yet and you kind of see that pick up after the combine. This early report and the way it is framed actually seems pretty possible. Just my 2 cents. 

Plus remember, this is according to NFL sources. We did have Brain Gaine leave and Lake Dawson go on some interviews, so when you have your front office people out and about around the league, sometimes news can be spread around a bit. 

Sign Bradford to a short term deal and trade the house for Rosen. 

We got the monkey off our back last year with the drought, I don’t mind waiting for 1-2 years to retool the roster, contracts, and get some youth on this team.

The goal is to build a consistent winner, not get lucky once every 17 years. It starts with the QB...

21 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Based on past trades it'd be something along the lines of picks 21, 22, & 96 this year, and our 1st & 3rd next year. Using the below chart and a 130% multiplier for the team moving up those picks get it done. 

cm7HHYa.jpg

That's a hefty price tag, but the only two QB's I would want out of this draft are Mayfield or Rosen so I would be happy even still. 

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Some points:

• Rosen isn't rich. His parents are. :D
  • The only QBs worth moving up for are Rosen and Mayfield. They are so far ahead of the others in every metric, that I'm shocked when I hear Darnold might be going No. 1.
  • Darnold and Allen are the Lockers, Hackenbergs, and Glennons of this draft. 
  • Jackson is a sleeper. If the Bills stood pat, I wouldn't mind if they took him at 21.
  • Rudolph is the enigma. He has talent but hasn't really shown it, and his numbers are not great. I wouldn't touch him in the first round.
  • The Browns or the Giants taking Barkley is just retarded. Stop it. 
  • Everyone is assuming that the Colts aren't in the market for a QB. They very well could be. 
  • giants would be stupid not to take Rosen at 2. Eli is old and declining. But I hope they don't!

Here's where we stand:

Either sign Cousins and keep our picks to fill out the team, but don't have any cap room left to go after any major FAs. 

or

Give up a kings ransom in draft picks to move up to 2, draft Rosen or Mayfield (If the Bills do this to draft anyone else, I !@#$ing quit), but have plenty of cap room and money to sign some decent FAs that could plug some holes. 

What to do? It's a conundrum. If we go with Cousins, we then have to rely on the Bills' drafting prowess to improve the team. Cousins is a known quantity and will most likely be decent. How decent is the question.  On the other hand, if we give up three number 1s, Glenn, and maybe more, we may hit on our franchise guy for years to come. But there is obviously no guarantee. But we at least keep our picks and may hit another home run or two like we did with Tre. And who knows, maybe Jackson or Rudolph or one of the lesser QBs we could take in the 2nd becomes a stud. 

It's a tough one and I'm not going to pretend to know the answer. I just know I hate trading up and giving up so much...but it seems to have worked for the Rams and Eagles...

The bolded statement demonstrates to me, you haven't really done your homework. Here's a link to help: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mason-rudolph-1.html

This information shows the following:

1. 3 year starter with his Sophmore year producing 3770 yards, 21 TDs, 9 INTs, Rating of 149.1 & 62.3% completion rate

Junior year - 4091 yards, 28 TDs, 4 INTS, 158.9 Rating, & 63.4% completion rate

Senior year - 4904 yards, 37 TDs, 9 INTs, 170.6 Rating, & 65% completion rate

2. He won the Johnny Unitas Award over Baker Mayfield, showing countless professionals think he was very productive

3. He IMPROVED each year in nearly every category except INTs and that came with a 2:1 ratio of improvement, re: TD:INT - which means, he's STILL getting even better

4. He threw for nearly 5,000 yards in his Senior year ....that's not productive?

The argument against Rudy has been his arm strength, but to me, that comes from people who haven't watched him in various situations, taking the popular narrative without forming their own opinion, or in some cases I just disagree based on what I see.

The legit concern is his holding the ball when he gets pushed in the pocket and moves out of the pocket to escape, as I don't like how he holds the ball and it can lead to fumbles, which is reckless. But, IF that's my only real concern, I note it, indicate we need to work on it, and take him at 21 and don't look back. 

Edited by BigBuff423

13 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The bolded statement demonstrates to me, you haven't really done your homework. Here's a link to help: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mason-rudolph-1.html

1. 3 year starter with his Sophmore year producing 3770 yards, 21 TDs, 9 INTs, Rating of 149.1 & 62.3% completion rate

2. He won the Johnny Unitas Award of Baker Mayfield, showing countless professionals think he was very productive

3. He IMPROVED each year in nearly every category except INTs and that came with a 2:1 ratio of improvement, re: TD:INT - which means, he's STILL getting even better

4. He threw for nearly 5,000 yards....that's not productive?

The argument against Rudy has been his arm strength, but to me, that comes from people who haven't watched him in various situations, taking the popular narrative without forming their own opinion, or in some cases I just disagree based on what I see.

The legit concern is his holding the ball when he gets pushed in the pocket and moves out of the pocket to escape, as I don't like how he holds the ball and it can lead to fumbles, which is reckless. But, IF that's my only real concern, I note it, indicate we need to work on it, and take him at 21 and don't look back. 

Thank you.  How could anybody say this kid has not been productive.  Watch the film, the kid has plenty of arm strength.  If he is there at #21 I honestly hope the Bills run to the podium with his name on the card. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

2. He won the Johnny Unitas Award over Baker Mayfield, showing countless professionals think he was very productive

4. He threw for nearly 5,000 yards in his Senior year ....that's not productive?

You and I disagree regarding his arm strength/his game in general, but yeah...I don't know how anybody can question his productivity. Outside of Mayfield and maybe Lamar, I'm not sure there was a more productive QB in the country. He was an incredible college player.

• Like (+1) 1