Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not sure that can be emphasized enough.

It actually gets less dangerous for QB's when they reach the NFL.

And fwiw........Aaron Rodgers was on his 3rd or 4th bad concussion in 2010........and on his way out of the league.........when Goodell decided you couldn't hit QB's......or WR's in the middle of the field.....and began bludgeoning the Steelers defense with fines to emphasize the point.     7 years later concussions are no longer much of an issue for him.

Yep i agree. Hense why i am less concerned about concussions in this specific position on the football field. Specially if your QB isnt a run around QB and always keeps the QB protections. 

Rosen has gotten his butt kicked playing football and still keeps playing. He's a rich kid who doesn't need football and still keeps playing. He could be doing a million other things but chooses to play football. 

To me, that means he loves football. Some guys play for the money, or a chance to make it out of the hood. What is he playing for? He must love it because football is hard and dangerous. 

Calling him a self-centered jerk is lazy. The things he said about college football, he was really trying to make a statement for those less fortunate than him. He was sticking up for the poor guys who play college football and get chewed up and spit out with nothing to show for it. He is in a position to speak for those who have less than him. I think he can come off as smug because he is intelligent and confident. 

Take the time to read some of his interviews. He is a really smart kid, who loves football, sticks up for his teammates, and it seems like guys love him from everything I've read. Pretty much everything he said about school, Trump, etc was all about sticking up for the little guy. I love this attitude for a quarterback. A guy who is willing to take the blame and will stick up for teammates. 

I would very very happy about a trade up. The injuries are a concern, but he's a perfect fit and we would be set for the next fifteen years. Take the time to look into those controversial interviews and make your own assessment. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Man, I have been daydreaming about this all day now (ever since I first read this thread). I would be pumped to get any of the top 3 QBs in this draft (Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield). Rosen never really even seemed like a possibility though. 

I still think its its a long shot, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my hopes up at least a little bit. 

I know right? Im just happy they are actually thinking about trading up for a top 3 qb prospect

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Rosen has gotten his butt kicked playing football and still keeps playing. He's a rich kid who doesn't need football and still keeps playing. He could be doing a million other things but chooses to play football. 

To me, that means he loves football. Some guys play for the money, or a chance to make it out of the hood. What is he playing for? He must love it because football is hard and dangerous. 

Calling him a self-centered jerk is lazy. The things he said about college football, he was really trying to make a statement for those less fortunate than him. He was sticking up for the poor guys who play college football and get chewed up and spit out with nothing to show for it. He is in a position to speak for those who have less than him. I think he can come off as smug because he is intelligent and confident. 

Take the time to read some of his interviews. He is a really smart kid, who loves football, sticks up for his teammates, and it seems like guys love him from everything I've read. Pretty much everything he said about school, Trump, etc was all about sticking up for the little guy. I love this attitude for a quarterback. A guy who is willing to take the blame and will stick up for teammates. 

I would very very happy about a trade up. The injuries are a concern, but he's a perfect fit and we would be set for the next fifteen years. Take the time to look into those controversial interviews and make your own assessment. 

Good post. The narrative about this kid is lazy and jealous by many. I'll take a player who is smart and talented any day. Who gives a **** if he has opinions.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Has it worked for Dez? The dude that assaulted his own Mother? Who did they bring in to be his mentor? Sorry, I missed that...unless you mean Michael Irvin? 

Exactly breh! Dez was messing up BIG TIME! So they stepped in and gave him a support system. 

Link https://www.inquisitr.com/1710210/dallas-cowboys-dont-trust-dez-bryant-off-the-field-video/

Do you really thing Mayfields gonna be that bad off the field? Hell no! And If they feel like that they can make sure hes got the right people around him to give him a good influence.

Lol oh yeah i misunderstood you were talking about Rosen. IDC about his political beliefs. Just play good football, put the effort in to be the best and honor your contract.

Im more concerned about Rosens injury history. He had a bad concussion. And if the kid has a "me 1st I have a degree from UCLA i dont need this ****"  Type attitude we should steer clear.

Mayfield > Rosen based on overall talent, our current OL, and intangibles.

Ill be happy with either Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold tho.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

30 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Good post. The narrative about this kid is lazy and jealous by many. I'll take a player who is smart and talented any day. Who gives a **** if he has opinions.

Well said. 

And furthermore - with the emphasis that Beane and McDermott put on character, plus how overly thorough/detailed they are in their approach, if they have enough confidence in Rosen's character, then I am good too. 

Go back and listen to Beane's interview a few weeks ago when he discussed scouting QBs and everything they research. It sounds like he really digs deep into these players backgrounds and tries to cover every possible angle. 

One thing i know for sure - they dig way deeper into these kids than any of us internet message board people could ever even attempt. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well said. 

And furthermore - with the emphasis that Beane and McDermott put on character, plus how overly thorough/detailed they are in their approach, if they have enough confidence in Rosen's character, then I am good too. 

Go back and listen to Beane's interview a few weeks ago when he discussed scouting QBs and everything they research. It sounds like he really digs deep into these players backgrounds and tries to cover every possible angle. 

One thing i know for sure - they dig way deeper into these kids than any of us internet message board people could ever even attempt. 

This is really it in a nutshell!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Exactly breh! Dez was messing up BIG TIME! So they stepped in and gave him a support system. 

Link https://www.inquisitr.com/1710210/dallas-cowboys-dont-trust-dez-bryant-off-the-field-video/

Do you really thing Mayfields gonna be that bad off the field? Hell no! And If they feel like that they can make sure hes got the right people around him to give him a good influence.

Lol oh yeah i misunderstood you were talking about Rosen. IDC about his political beliefs. Just play good football, put the effort in to be the best and honor your contract.

Im more concerned about Rosens injury history. He had a bad concussion. And if the kid has a "me 1st I have a degree from UCLA i dont need this ****"  Type attitude we should steer clear.

Mayfield > Rosen based on overall talent, our current OL, and intangibles.

Ill be happy with either Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold tho.

Yea, I'm with you on the Mayfield bus. Think he's going to be a great player. 

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Just speculating, but as Schurmur as head coach the Giants may take a run at Teddy Bridgewater.  If they think he's the franchise guy they'd pry be interested in moving out of that 2nd pick.

Here's the thing with Bridgewater in general. If the knee is good and he's a franchise guy...why in the world would the Vikings let him go? They have the option to franchise him, the can resign him over Bradford/Keenum if he's a franchise guy. If the Vikings let him go...there's a reason. 

Shurmur would likely have some firsthand knowledge of where his knee is at and where he is as a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He says in his new podcast that he is hearing from talking to scouts and agents that the Bills love Josh Rosen and thinks they will trade up to 2 with the NYG to draft him. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-draft-show-quarterback-carousel-update-plus-draft/id1276383397?i=1000402080073&mt=2

I certainly would be excited to land someone like Rosen.  Just hope we dont have to give too much up to do it.  If Cousins signs with Jets or Broncos, all of a sudden one or two QB's could slide to a cheaper spot.  All the talk is how Browns prefer Allen, so could mean that someone like Baker or even Darnold could start sliding down that top 10 where there are a number of potential trade partners that would be cheaper than #2.

But again, I definitely would be excited and wouldn't hate moving to #2, just would love to see us get a premium prospect while keeping as many draft picks as we can for the other holes.

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think that is exactly the reason they hired QB guru Pat Shurmur, to find out if Eli is done or not. 

Looking back at the start of the 2017 season when the roster wasn't decimated by injuries and he had ODB, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard, Evan Engram all healthy receiving. The team still started out 0-5. Eli looked like he has lost a step. Granted at the end of the 2017 season the Giants had 31 players on IR. They sure didn't start out with that many injuries and they stunk it up just the same.

Like I said, I do think they are morons should they pass on on a QB with that #2 pick (Rosen) only to find they will need to replace Eli in three years or less. Then perhaps they will need to give up three first-round picks to get a QB who may or may not develop into a franchise QB. Kinda foolish when they are sitting in the catbird's seat this year. 

Beckham missed the season opener with a L ankle "sprain" from preseason, and didn't seem to be his usual self in the 3 1/2 games he played before going out with a broken ankle.

Game 5 was the Chargers game where Shepard, Marshall, and ODBJ all went out.  In between, Manning rocked completion percentages of 69%, 75%, and 61% for a goodly amount of yards against some decent Ds.

Maybe you're right and Eli has lost a step.  If so, I'm sure Shurmur will tell them to pull the trigger on drafting a QB at #2 since they'll have OTAs before the draft.

But when you draft a QB, you're always drafting potential.  I could also see the argument that you've got a guy who has won 2 Superbowls, including 1 with a "meh" D,  and if you have a chance to trade down and bring in a ton of picks to support him you'd be nuts not to take advantage.

9 hours ago, RobH063 said:

I think you're 100% right! I seem to remember another QB that was selfish and arrogant and entitled that didn't embrace playing in Buffalo and instead played in Houston for a couple of years. Then fell in love with Buffalo once he got to Town. The guy I'm thinking of came from a Blue Collar background so Buffalo was a natural fit for his true personality. He wasn't the son of an Orthopedic surgeon father who was once a Nationally ranked Ice Skater and a Mother who is a former journalist who was once the Captain of the Princeton LaCrosse team. One young man knew what it meant to sweat and bleed and rub a little dirt on it and get back in the game. He now owns a Gold colored Sport Jacket. The other was born with a Silver spoon in his mouth. Great talent but not sure he would be a good fit in Buffalo. He may or may not one day also own a Gold colored Sport Jacket but either way, I doubt it would be from a career that was spent in Buffalo.

This makes it sound as though you're holding the kid's parents against him.

Entitlement in athletes comes from all backgrounds.  There are kids from poor backgrounds whose athletic talent has brought them adulation perks and special treatment from adults (fans coaches teachers) all their lives that are just as entitled.  There are kids from wealthy backgrounds who are expected to "toe the line".

Any football player who has been successful through the college level knows what it means to sweat and bleed and walk it off and get back in the game.

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, and Lamar.

I think you're a bit nuts.  I would be aghast if the Bills sold the farm to trade up for 3 of those 4. 

But I'm just going by film, stats and scouting, so I could be off.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He says in his new podcast that he is hearing from talking to scouts and agents that the Bills love Josh Rosen and thinks they will trade up to 2 with the NYG to draft him. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nfl-draft-show-quarterback-carousel-update-plus-draft/id1276383397?i=1000402080073&mt=2

Ironically he also said that Whaley was a fan of Money Mitch Trubisky.  There goes the DeShaun Watson narrative for Whaley supporters

not real.

fun to spin though.

i will honestly fall off my chair if Bills go up into the top five.

Top fifteen maybe . But Bills trading away the ability to fill  ALL the holes upcoming decently means they likely need all their picks. And us a couple to trade out of ? sure.
But not multiples to get the QB. Not this season. IMHO.

Thicken up the the roster a good bit this year and when the dead money falls off ? Go for it. 

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

You wouldn't hear a peep from me if the Bills pull this off.  That would be epic if we got Rosen.

If they go for it?I am cool with that. Just seems out of character and too soon in the McBeanes career.

First clean draft by them and all.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

unpopular opinion, but please...don't move up to draft rosen