Free agency - non QB's

BillsCuse

With all the constant draft and QB talk, I figure I'd start a thread about free agency (position players only - no QB's).  It will be interesting on what they do, especially with it being Beane's first.  I don't expect them to do any huge splashes, like 10 + million a year type players.  But could definitely see some above average signings in the 6-9 million range.  Then some mid tier guys in the 3-4 range.  I personally prefer signings like that as they can be large contributors without eating up a ton of cap space.  Would be nice to fill up some holes before going into the draft.  So who do you guys like and what positions you hoping for?

Brice Butler, WR Dallas-

Should be a lower cost option if we don't get a Paul Richardson. Butler has wheels (ran 4.36 at pro day) and is a nice deep threat. Past 2 seasons he has only combined for 31 catches (Playing behind Bryant, Beasley and Williams) but cashed them in for 6tds.

While he is 28, he has been lightly used and looks to have a ton of tread on his tires. He's averaged over 21 yards a catch (again on small sample sizes) in 2 separate seasons. He also has the size (6'3 220 pounds he's listed at) to be a threat in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

With all the constant draft and QB talk, I figure I'd start a thread about free agency (position players only - no QB's).  It will be interesting on what they do, especially with it being Beane's first.  I don't expect them to do any huge splashes, like 10 + million a year type players.  But could definitely see some above average signings in the 6-9 million range.  Then some mid tier guys in the 3-4 range.  I personally prefer signings like that as they can be large contributors without eating up a ton of cap space.  Would be nice to fill up some holes before going into the draft.  So who do you guys like and what positions you hoping for?

you should make a list of available FAs perhaps ?
it is a good subject of course

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Brice Butler, WR Dallas-

Should be a lower cost option if we don't get a Paul Richardson. Butler has wheels (ran 4.36 at pro day) and is a nice deep threat. Past 2 seasons he has only combined for 31 catches (Playing behind Bryant, Beasley and Williams) but cashed them in for 6tds.

While he is 28, he has been lightly used and looks to have a ton of tread on his tires. He's averaged over 21 yards a catch (again on small sample sizes) in 2 separate seasons. He also has the size (6'3 220 pounds he's listed at) to be a threat in the red zone.

so admit it, you must be a Cowboys fan ?

: )

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

you should make a list of available FAs perhaps ?
it is a good subject of course

so admit it, you must be a Cowboys fan ?

: )

Not even close. But I am a fan of adding speed to the WR ranks. Tell you this much, more I read more I'm becoming a Brice Butler fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Not even close. But I am a fan of adding speed to the WR ranks. Tell you this much, more I read more I'm becoming a Brice Butler fan. 

No question Bills are lacking there. Really wish we  had one beyond Deonte last year for Tyrod.
 but thats another story for another day or thread : )

What do you feel Daboll thinks about his new Offense?

over the top speedster to line up is always something i would approve of. 

Defense: 

I'd like to see Nigel Bradham brought back.  Anthony Chickillo from the Steelers (OLB) could be a nice, cheap addition.  But he's a RFA.  

Beau Allen (NT) from Philly would be a nice, cheap-ish depth at DT.  

Julius Peppers would be an intriguing addition.  Does not play a ton, but 11 sacks last year.  Perhaps he can also teach Lawson some pass-rushing moves.  

Offense: 

Andrew Norwell, G, Panthers.  This is my top offensive target.  In fact, might be my top non-QB FA target.  

In terms of WR's, I like Allen Robinson, Willie Snead, and Brice Butler sounds very intriguing.  

Chris Hubbard, OT Steelers

Offensive Players i think we should target that fit the value McBeane is looking for during free agency 

RB- Sign 1

Jerrick Mckinnon 

Isiah Crowell

Jeremy Hill

Legarette Blount

Charles Sims

Wayne Ellington 

Wrs- Sign 2 Players 

Donte Moncrief 

Michael Floyd

Bruce Ellington  

Brice Butler

Taylor Gabriel 

John Brown

Ryan Grant 

Dontrelle Inman 

Albert Wilson 

Terrelle Pryor 

TE - sign 1 

Austin Seferian Jenkins

Trey Burton 

Ed Dickson 

Luke Willson

Oline - #1 priority to sign the top 2 on this list Fleming and Hubbard this allows us to concentrate on other positions during draft while making our line a strength of the team. I would spend good money too sign these guys . Plus if we sign both we can trade Cordy.

Cameron Fleming T 25yrs ***

Chris Hubbard T/OG 26yrs ***

Senio Kelemete OG **

Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

Jonathan Cooper OG

Alex Boone OG

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

played around with the cap last night .  By cutting Taylor , Glenn and woods they end up with 45,000,000 in cap room.  

Set aside 15 for a vey qb .  I say 15 because even if you have to pay annually a higher amount you can structure the contract to be a little lighter in year one.  

This should allow them to go out and get 2-4 solid players.  The kind of money they spent on the safeties .   

This draft is loaded with D tackles and Linebackers so I might hold my money in that area.   

I agree I player like taylor gabreil makes a lot of sense 

I also like Jake Mohawt for the colts.  Injured last season but played well before that and can slide over a play center

Resigning e.j gaines would be great but I am not sure they will due to his injury record.  They should spend on a solid Veteran .

I also like the idea of Dion lewis.  Hurts the pats, helps with the return game and give you a back up to shady that allows you to run the same offense no matter who is in the game.  

I would use a 4th or 5th round draft pick to get a pile driver back as a third back/ short yardage ect type.

Finally adding one rotation type D tackle would be fine. I still think one or both starters are coming from the draft. 

D end is an issue that may have to be addressed from with in.  Moving alexander back to a pass rusher and putting him in tandem with Lawson might get you by for they year 

Last thing to consider is they kept Conner McDermott on the roster the entire year.  That kind of in investment means they thing he has starter potential .  Don't be surprised if he isn't your right tackle next year.   

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Offensive Players i think we should target that fit the value McBeane is looking for during free agency 

RB- Sign 1

Jerrick Mckinnon 

Isiah Crowell

Jeremy Hill

Legarette Blount

Charles Sims

Wayne Ellington 

Wrs- Sign 2 Players 

Donte Moncrief 

Michael Floyd

Bruce Ellington  

Brice Butler

Taylor Gabriel 

John Brown

Ryan Grant 

Dontrelle Inman 

Albert Wilson 

Terrelle Pryor 

TE - sign 1 

Austin Seferian Jenkins

Trey Burton 

Ed Dickson 

Luke Willson

Oline - #1 priority to sign the top 2 on this list Fleming and Hubbard this allows us to concentrate on other positions during draft while making our line a strength of the team. I would spend good money too sign these guys . Plus if we sign both we can trade Cordy.

Cameron Fleming T 25yrs ***

Chris Hubbard T/OG 26yrs ***

Senio Kelemete OG **

Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

Jonathan Cooper OG

Alex Boone OG

McKinnon

Brown

Grant

Burton

Value shopping.

Edited by Commonsense

I'll take Crowell and Draft a RB - trade Shady....yeah, yeah, I know....but wrong side of 30 and his value is high for trade capital and his money is cost prohibitive for the position

I'll take the following: Bodine for Center

Whitehead from Lions for OLB

Lawson from Lions for CB

Bromley from Giants for DT (can't get 3 in the Draft)

Richardson or Butler as noted for WR

Ellis for DT as well (again, Bills probably need 4 altogether, so that leaves 2 in Draft)

Okafor from Saints for DE

Re-sign O'Leary as he's a RFA

And a Vet QB of some kind - trade Taylor, Shady, Hughes....keep Glenn if his foot is healthy. I would stick him at LG, cut Richie and keep Mills just for backup duty, then Draft a RT, re-instate Miller at RG....I'm also keeping Lawson, I still think his potential is seriously good and maybe with a new training staff they can keep him healthy.

The rest is via Draft and under-the-radar FA signings that will provide depth. JMO....hate away.

I've been vocal since November about guys that could make a lot of sense as value-adds (and now many other folks have agreed that guys like Paul Richardson and David Amerson should be on the team's radar).  Here are a few others:

Justin Ellis - DT/Oakland

DaQuan Jones - DT/Tennessee

Rashaan Melvin - CB/Indianapolis

Korey Toomer - LB/LAC

All fit the mold as versatile, athletic, low-mileage scheme fits at positions of dire need.  I'm of the opinion that Richardson will end up getting paid by someone that needs speed, so there may be better value to be had with a guy like Albert Wilson or Taylor Gabriel...I'd love to go after John Brown, but his non-stop health problems make it unlikely.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I've been vocal since November about guys that could make a lot of sense as value-adds (and now many other folks have agreed that guys like Paul Richardson and David Amerson should be on the team's radar).  Here are a few others:

Your Richardson & Amerson are my Gabriel & Fuller :lol: I think we're accomplishing very similar goals.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Justin Ellis - DT/Oakland

DaQuan Jones - DT/Tennessee

Rashaan Melvin - CB/Indianapolis

Korey Toomer - LB/LAC

All fit the mold as versatile, athletic, low-mileage scheme fits at positions of dire need.  I'm of the opinion that Richardson will end up getting paid by someone that needs speed, so there may be better value to be had with a guy like Albert Wilson or Taylor Gabriel...I'd love to go after John Brown, but his non-stop health problems make it unlikely.

Isn't Melvin going to make big bucks? I know he hot banged up at the end of last season but he was getting talked about a bunch before that. I'm not sure what the Davis situation is in Indy but I'd be surprised if Melvin isn't payed well to stay.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Your Richardson & Amerson are my Gabriel & Fuller :lol: I think we're accomplishing very similar goals.

Indeed...must add speed on offense and a replacement for Gaines on D (assuming he leaves)

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Isn't Melvin going to make big bucks? I know he hot banged up at the end of last season but he was getting talked about a bunch before that. I'm not sure what the Davis situation is in Indy but I'd be surprised if Melvin isn't payed well to stay.

Perhaps someone will pay him a lot of money; I look at him and see a guy that's 28 and been on 4 different teams and only emerged as a starter after 4 years in the league, and he didn't really make any eye-popping plays.

I don't think you're going to get him at Poyer-type value-below-market, but I don't think it's crazy that he could be had in the $8M AAV range, which would be great value IMO.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed...must add speed on offense and a replacement for Gaines on D (assuming he leaves)

Perhaps someone will pay him a lot of money; I look at him and see a guy that's 28 and been on 4 different teams and only emerged as a starter after 4 years in the league, and he didn't really make any eye-popping plays.

I don't think you're going to get him at Poyer-type value-below-market, but I don't think it's crazy that he could be had in the $8M AAV range, which would be great value IMO.

8m per? In a heartbeat. See yah Gaines, don't get hurt on the way to the airport.