How a diet helped turn Preston Brown into NFL's leading tackler

Punching Bag

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Brown does not fit McD's scheme, which features more athletic sideline to sideline LBs. Think Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. He's not looking for 2 down slow footed types like Brown who, while piling up the tackles, isn't in the mold of what he needs to play an attacking style of defense.

Buffalo shouldn't commit anything to someone who doesn't work just to say they have a guy there, which is what Brown is. 

Brown will hit UFA next month. If the Bills were keen on re-signing him they would have done so already and I've heard absolutely nothing about his people and the team engaged in contract talks.

Preston stated in a radio interview that the Bills have reached out to his agent.

http://nfltraderumors.co/free-agent-lb-preston-browns-no-1-choice-re-signing-bills/

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Preston stated in a radio interview that the Bills have reached out to his agent.

http://nfltraderumors.co/free-agent-lb-preston-browns-no-1-choice-re-signing-bills/

Yeah, but that usually means they called to see how much the agent thinks he's worth, and then make him a ridiculous lowball offer. Just because they called to chat doesnt mean they are very interested. If we could get him at vet min, then maaaayyybe. I'm hoping/expecting to move on.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, but that usually means they called to see how much the agent thinks he's worth, and then make him a ridiculous lowball offer. Just because they called to chat doesnt mean they are very interested. If we could get him at vet min, then maaaayyybe. I'm hoping/expecting to move on.

If it's anywhere near vet minimum, he'll be on the market.  I can see the Bills still wanting to bring him back but maybe not at MLB.  Move him to the outside like he was under Schwartz.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If it's anywhere near vet minimum, he'll be on the market.  I can see the Bills still wanting to bring him back but maybe not at MLB.  Move him to the outside like he was under Schwartz.

Well that's my point in saying they arent really serious about signing him.

As far as OLB goes, he isnt fast enough to play there in McD's defense. He was barely fast enough to play there in Schwartz's D.

Honestly, good riddance. Slow, stupid, and soft. We can do better.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well that's my point in saying they arent really serious about signing him.

As far as OLB goes, he isnt fast enough to play there in McD's defense. He was barely fast enough to play there in Schwartz's D.

Honestly, good riddance. Slow, stupid, and soft. We can do better.

I would definitely prefer a quicker, fast MLB but if they bring him back, I'm okay with it.  If they don't, I'm okay with it.  

Supposedly there is a Boise St Linebacker that fits the McDermott profile for LB's that could be there in the 2nd.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do you think he will get big bucks?

Teams overspend in FA. He is not going to get elite money but I think he will still get paid and to me those resources are better used elsewhere. If he is willing to take a team friendly deal to stay I would listen but I wouldn't be upset if he leaves. The front 7 on defense and offensive line both need to be retooled this year in addition to finding a QB.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Brown does not fit McD's scheme, which features more athletic sideline to sideline LBs. Think Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. He's not looking for 2 down slow footed types like Brown who, while piling up the tackles, isn't in the mold of what he needs to play an attacking style of defense.

Buffalo shouldn't commit anything to someone who doesn't work just to say they have a guy there, which is what Brown is. 

Brown will hit UFA next month. If the Bills were keen on re-signing him they would have done so already and I've heard absolutely nothing about his people and the team engaged in contract talks.

I get what you're saying, but I think McDermott/Frazier are more adaptable than you think when it comes to who fits their scheme. I think they like Brown's availability, attitude, and consistency. I also think that, while Brown is not the most athletic linebacker around, many Bills fans underrate him. 

As I said originally, he's not a star and not a Davis or a Kuechly. What he IS is a guy who will be healthy, stay out of trouble, quarterback your defense, and be top 5 in the league in tackles every year. I think they'd like to have that card in hand for the time being. They will eventually look to upgrade him when the time is right, but with as many holes as they currently have elsewhere on the roster, I don't see how they can afford to let Brown walk. Put it this way: Wouldn't you rather have Brown in house WHILE you look for an upgrade/better fit? Letting him walk away leaves the cupboard completely bare in that department. Not good business.

33 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Teams overspend in FA. He is not going to get elite money but I think he will still get paid and to me those resources are better used elsewhere. If he is willing to take a team friendly deal to stay I would listen but I wouldn't be upset if he leaves. The front 7 on defense and offensive line both need to be retooled this year in addition to finding a QB.

We thought Zach Brown would get a big payday too and he didn’t. I think Zach is better than Preston. LBs are undervalued in FA imo. But I like Preston and hope he gets paid somewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Doubt they are going to offer him veteran minimum.