How a diet helped turn Preston Brown into NFL's leading tackler

Punching Bag

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I LOVE Chick-fil-A, but I HATE long lines!  They actually have traffic cops by some here in Atlanta, their home town. (Plus they are nowhere near highway exits, which is almost exclusively where my fast food experience happens.) 

Results speak. I’m not calling for the HOF, but that’s a lot of tackles. He has produced, even if he’s not perfect. 

Tackle total can be a number used to distraction.  The article found it necessary to show where Brown rank relative to Kuechly and Lavonte David.

No one in the NFL is confusing Brown with those two.

Preston Brown is bad but now I have to go as far as to say overrated?  I didn't realize he was even rated.  He might have changed his diet but he didn't give up pancakes.  I see him getting pancake blocked right out of the play and trying to choose a side way too often instead of taking on the block and blowing up the play.  Is there a stat that shows how far down the field his tackles are?  I'd like to see that as it would surely change this narrative

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I LOVE Chick-fil-A, but I HATE long lines!  They actually have traffic cops by some here in Atlanta, their home town. (Plus they are nowhere near highway exits, which is almost exclusively where my fast food experience happens.) 

Hang a rainbow flag outside and the lines will shorten up.  (just a bit of fun lets not get to serious people)  

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yes. Too small they said. Fletcher and Brown are nothing alike though. Maybe Posluszny. Brown doesn't make many plays. We need upgrades at LB. 

I agree on upgrading, but they could consider the Schwartz approach, leave Brown if the price is right and put some studs in front of him and speed on either or both sides of him. 

This team really needs a disruptive End that can also stop the run and a major talent and youth infusion at DT. I don’t love Lawson outside and while Jerry is relentless, he seems to be handled easier that I wish he was probably due to size. 

PB has Held his own vs RBs for the most part so while sure he can be upgraded, I’m not sure he is a top priority. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I agree on upgrading, but they could consider the Schwartz approach, leave Brown if the price is right and put some studs in front of him and speed on either or both sides of him. 

This team really needs a disruptive End that can also stop the run and a major talent and youth infusion at DT. I don’t love Lawson outside and while Jerry is relentless, he seems to be handled easier that I wish he was probably due to size. 

PB has Held his own vs RBs for the most part so while sure he can be upgraded, I’m not sure he is a top priority. 

This is turning into a 2 LB game. Milano probably fills one spot. I want to find our leader on defense to fill the other spot. Brown would have to be a bargain. 

Yes we need upgrades on the DL. The entire front 7 needs upgrades. 

51 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

This is turning into a 2 LB game. Milano probably fills one spot. I want to find our leader on defense to fill the other spot. Brown would have to be a bargain. 

Yes we need upgrades on the DL. The entire front 7 needs upgrades. 

Milano has definitely shown flashes. I want to say I saw somewhere they aren’t totally sold, but don’t remember any explanation.  You’ve probably hit they question on the head- if you pen one of those two in as a starter, who is it? Or do you start both and find your Nickle sized MLB who plays outside on first and second down. 

Preston has the leadership Imo but he’s absolutely not a flashy playmaker, disputive force or ball hawk. I sort of liken him to a boring run of the mill RB who moves the chains but won’t break off a chink play,.....ever 

He makes plenty of stops that the safety’s therefore don’t have to.... and is ok in middle zone. So there is that. 

All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills linebacker Preston Brown doesn’t stand out

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/2/16/17016238/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-preston-brown-2018-nfl-free-agent-linebacker

The NFL’s 2017 regular season leader in tackles often fails to jump off the screen 

Huh ?????    Is this praise or criticism? 

Preston Brown is all over diagnosing this play and reacts quickly. There’s a brief moment he contemplates shooting the highlighted gap but rapidly makes the right decision to streak toward the sideline to be in the best position to help. He adjusts angles on the move and would be right there to clean up if Lorenzo Alexander misses the tackle. Also of note, he’s step for step with Alexander as they move across the field. For the 2017 season, both players were roughly the same size. Alexander’s nine-year head start in age however, suggests if there’s a compliment here it goes to Alexander.

This is why Brown gets the radio helmet. He’s directing the defense even as the play starts, making sure the team is looking in the right direction. Most notable here is that he’s got it right. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 2/13/2018 at 8:05 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Guy runs like he is carrying a !@#$ing piano on his back. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with him anymore. I don’t care how many tackles he had, the guy sucks. Maybe he wouldn’t have to tackle guys so often if he could run with them in the first place and not let them get open.

He's been a good contributor. I definitely think we need an upgrade, but any team that has Preston Brown on their roster knows they have a solid guy to turn to. You can do A LOT worse than Preston Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope the Bills keep Preston. He's not a star, but like Poz (who we let walk after his rookie contract), he will be solid for you in the middle for the next five years. You won't have to worry about him. His health/availability, attitude, and production have been quite good for the Bills throughout his career.

Given that the Bills want Preston and Preston wants to stay, I bet a deal will get done. Why create more holes by letting homegrown talent walk away? We already have enough holes to fill as it is.

Besides: Keeping Brown does NOT preclude the Bills from searching for an upgrade. It just keeps the position solid for the next couple of years while they shore up other areas in need of more immediate attention (DT, Edge, Sam LB, RG, RT, etc). Oh, and one more thing: As it is, Brown lead the NFL in tackles. Now upgrade the defensive line and put better linebackers around him and watch his production increase even more. He's also only 25 years old. Hasn't even reached his prime yet.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

The  complete lack of a comprehensive diet/fitness/nutrition program for NFL players is kind of shocking in my opinion.

They are decades behind other sports in this area.

This is the guy who was eating candy during training camp practices in one of the rex years.

He kept them in his hoody and ate them during practice. The fact that it took him 3 or 4 years to figure out that he lacks a step, and now he's gonna lose some weight is a poor reflection on both him and the team.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I hope the Bills keep Preston. He's not a star, but like Poz (who we let walk after his rookie contract), he will be solid for you in the middle for the next five years. You won't have to worry about him. His health/availability, attitude, and production have been quite good for the Bills throughout his career.

Given that the Bills want Preston and Preston wants to stay, I bet a deal will get done. Why create more holes by letting homegrown talent walk away? We already have enough holes to fill as it is.

Besides: Keeping Brown does NOT preclude the Bills from searching for an upgrade. It just keeps the position solid for the next couple of years while they shore up other areas in need of more immediate attention (DT, Edge, Sam LB, RG, RT, etc). Oh, and one more thing: As it is, Brown lead the NFL in tackles. Now upgrade the defensive line and put better linebackers around him and watch his production increase even more. He's also only 25 years old. Hasn't even reached his prime yet.

I could see the Bills resigning Preston but also getting a faster MLB.  Preston played OLB with Schwartz and could see them moving him out there again.

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Brown does not fit McD's scheme, which features more athletic sideline to sideline LBs. Think Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. He's not looking for 2 down slow footed types like Brown who, while piling up the tackles, isn't in the mold of what he needs to play an attacking style of defense.

Buffalo shouldn't commit anything to someone who doesn't work just to say they have a guy there, which is what Brown is. 

Brown will hit UFA next month. If the Bills were keen on re-signing him they would have done so already and I've heard absolutely nothing about his people and the team engaged in contract talks.