How a diet helped turn Preston Brown into NFL's leading tackler

Punching Bag

How a diet helped turn Preston Brown into NFL's leading tackler

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31136/how-avoiding-wendys-helped-preston-brown-become-nfls-lead-tackler

Warning: It is a Mike Rodakent column.

Durability has never been a concern for Brown, who said by phone last week that he has only missed four games during his entire football career. But 2017 proved to be a transformative year for Brown, who partly attributes his uptick in production to a decision he made on his own last offseason to shed about 10 pounds and attempt to play faster.

Shouldn't goals like that be determined with input from training staff?

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Avocado smoothies?  

Custom made Kale pajamas, and of course the avocado smoothies. I mean, who doesn’t......

But if I’m traveling and fast food is the only option, I’ll go for Wendy’s. Jersey Mikes is actually better, but not usually an option on the road. Can you tell I’m hungry? 

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Chick-fil-A:wub:

I LOVE Chick-fil-A, but I HATE long lines!  They actually have traffic cops by some here in Atlanta, their home town. (Plus they are nowhere near highway exits, which is almost exclusively where my fast food experience happens.) 

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Guy runs like he is carrying a !@#$ing piano on his back. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with him anymore. I don’t care how many tackles he had, the guy sucks. Maybe he wouldn’t have to tackle guys so often if he could run with them in the first place and not let them get open.

Results speak. I’m not calling for the HOF, but that’s a lot of tackles. He has produced, even if he’s not perfect. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Guy runs like he is carrying a !@#$ing piano on his back. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with him anymore. I don’t care how many tackles he had, the guy sucks. Maybe he wouldn’t have to tackle guys so often if he could run with them in the first place and not let them get open.

A lot of it was a terrible d line that let runners get to the second level and brown made the tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If the DT's in front of him were better quality he would look a lot better

7 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

If the DT's in front of him were better quality he would look a lot better

We had Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams in front of him for a good part of his career. He’s just not good. I don’t understand why people have to just make excuses for guys that can’t play. He will be gone soon because the guys in charge now aren’t interested in excuses. They are interested in winning. The modern day NFL is about speed. Slow LBs have no place.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I got to agree with you for the most part.

I don’t think tackles is a great indication to judge a play of a linebacker.

It can be a pretty flawed stat as lots of tackles can be 5 to 10 yards downfield. 

If there was a stat to show me tackles behind the line of scrimmage, or 2 yards or less, then that would say a lot more.

Now I have nothing to back up to say Preston browns tackles were farther downfield, but it definitely seemed like he choose the wrong gap too often, and it for sure seemed like lots of his tackles were after 5 yards.

Edited by billsfan11

Brown should have been a training camp cut.  He was awful in 3-4.  Thought he might be ok back in the 4-3 but he just isn't any good.  I don't care about tackles.  It is a meaningless stat.  Modern NFL is about red zone defense, turnovers, and impact plays on third down.  Brown offers little of that.  He racks up tackles between the twenties.  Who cares if they can't get off the field on third down.  Need dynamic playmakers at OLB and MLB in FA/draft.  

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

The last time we ran a MLB out of here who racked up tackles in bunches but was slow it was London Fletcher. I actually missed him when he was gone a bit. Just sayin

Poz too.

i don’t get why this guy draws so much ire. 

He is correct that if he was he was such a liability he’d be attacked and beat more often. 

He plays all all the time and posts tackle numbers like Wagner and Keukley and has been a key piece of a top 5 defense.  

MLBs don’t need to be the fastest guys on the field as long as they know where to be. 

While not a susperstar, he is  a competent starting nfl mlb. 

You buried the lede, OP.

In the exit meeting [after Buffalo's playoff loss to Jacksonville], coach made it sound like they wanted me back," Brown told ESPN. "He said some things that sounded like that. But you never know what’s going to happen during free agency. I would love to go back to Buffalo. That’s the No. 1 choice for me."