PFF Rates the Bills 2nd in 2017 Pass Blocking Efficiency

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

He also made a lot of defenders miss which probably helps that rating....

Of course we cant talk about that right?

We can.   Q: why?

Could it be because he held that ball too long waiting for a guy to get separation / open?

3 steps or 5 steps then pass.   

Not 3 steps or 5 steps then look the. scramble then look the scramble then pass or take a sack. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We can.   Q: why?

Could it be because he held that ball too long waiting for a guy to get separation / open?

3 steps or 5 steps then pass.   

Not 3 steps or 5 steps then look the. scramble then look the scramble then pass or take a sack. 

Its a nice concept but TT just couldnt do it.....would not pull the trigger.

He does some nice things on roll outs and bootlegs.......he runs the option well....he is just not a pure thrower of the ball.

Just now, John from Hemet said:

Its a nice concept but TT just couldnt do it.....would not pull the trigger.

He does some nice things on roll outs and bootlegs.......he runs the option well....he is just not a pure thrower of the ball.

One a great strength the other a greater weakness.  

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. His escapability is a double edged sword. 

This. However, escapability is not the main contributor to him taking sacks, in my opinion. The main contributor is how long he holds the ball.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

This. However, escapability is not the main contributor to him taking sacks, in my opinion. The main contributor is how long he holds the ball.

Slower reads and an unwillingness to pull the trigger are the culprits as you are intimating. 

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So... if this is accurate, the OL must have absolutely hated Peterman because anyone watching that game could see the sieve that was our OL in the 1st half of the Chargers game  :lol:

That was Taylor's fault, too.  The OL wasn't used to a QB who couldn't escape the initial pass rush.

24 minutes ago, Loosh said:

The pass blocking flat out STUNK.  Can't believe everything you read. 

I'm skeptical of using stats to "prove" anything, and that goes double for those stats trumpeting "efficiency" as noteworthy.  Was not Tyrod Taylor one of the more "efficient" QBs in the NFL in 2017?  So, why are so many fans so upset with him?  Because he wasn't an "effective" QB.  The Bills OL stunk in 2017 because it wasn't effective, no matter what stats say about it being "efficient".

I'll take "effective" over "efficient" any day of the week.  What's the most effective pass blocking OL in the league?   It's gotta be the Pats' OL because they not only keep an immobile QB upright all game long almost every game but they also give him virtually forever to find open receivers.  Does anybody in NE really care if the Pats' OL is "efficient" as long as Brady has time to pick defenses apart?  I don't think so.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

I generally like PFF, but if this is the outcome, I have to question their methodology.  Our O-line was not good at pass blocking this year.  Take the Tyrod flame war out of the equation for a minute - how did the pass blocking look with Peterman under center? 

Our O-line had some nice plays in pass protection here and there, but there were way too many times when a guy came free almost right away, and several whole games where the opposing D was in our backfield seemingly the whole game.  Again, I don't know what PFF is looking at or using as their criteria that translates those results into #2 in the league.

• Like (+1) 1