Bills refused to let Shady run out of the gun in 2017

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McCoy lead the NFL in negative yardage runs.

Would it have been worse out of the shotgun?

Regardless, I don't think the run game would have looked any different had they run more out of the shotgun.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think blocking scheme needs to be played at feet of the one responsible - OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator Juan Castillo - not the OC and he is still part of team but fortunately was not promoted to OC so new OC has to give the coach new direction to go.

Some have said it is not fair for a GM to get canned due to a HC he did not have control of hiring - is it the same for OC or will this be again a sign, fire and pay to not work situation again?

I was yelling at this all year.

I hated having TT lined up over the centre.

Put him under the gun so defences have to account for TT's legs, and at the same time will open up more space for one of the most gifted backs in the league.

Its really not complicated. Dennison screwed this up completely

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I was yelling at this all year.

I hated having TT lined up over the centre.

Put him under the gun so defences have to account for TT's legs, and at the same time will open up more space for one of the most gifted backs in the league.

Its really not complicated. Dennison screwed this up completely

Should have yelled louder!

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Fundamentally disagree. Anyone who watched Shady this year could see that he had not lost a step AT ALL. He was as explosive as ever, but he was being hammered in the backfield constantly by multiple tacklers. 

I think there's a difference between "lost a step' and being 5 years older.

I'm not sure there's any 29 y/o RB in NFL history who wasn't a little more effective at 24/25 and 1,100 NFL touches less.

Edited by jmc12290

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe I’m an idiot (ok I know I am) but if the OL is struggling to block for him running it between the tackles with the new scheme, should they not adjust the way he’s getting the ball? If not the blocking scheme? I did think that they adjusted the blocking scheme as the season went on...

They "adjusted" a lot over the course of the season. That's part of the problem. They weren't running Dennison's offense or Roman's. It was some kind of mutated Frankenstein hybrid.

Bills were extremely lucky to get into the playoffs this season (thanks again to Dalton!).......Dennison was completely lost all season in trying to form a successful offence/plan...glad he was shown the door.....now l want to see how McDee/Beans can form a new competitive offence for next season.......

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

But the original comment was that maybe they did it to reduce the negative yards which he led the league in.  So it didn't work was my point.

Correct.

Though to be more honest to the situation..........many of the TFL's were taken in second halves of games where the Bills were nursing leads and willing to sacrifice drives to burn clock, maintain a field position advantage and not turn the ball over.

One of the more clueless narratives of the late season was "the Bills really *struggle* offensively in second halves".........when they had leads and weren't really making much of an effort to score.

McCoy and Taylor did whatever it took for the team to "not lose" games.........and the net result were some unflattering stats for those two.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Fundamentally disagree. Anyone who watched Shady this year could see that he had not lost a step AT ALL. He was as explosive as ever, but he was being hammered in the backfield constantly by multiple tacklers. 

I think he's a much smarter runner than the guy they acquired.   He takes small profits inside now on runs that he'd have carried out of bounds for no gain or a loss a couple years ago.    I don't believe that he hasn't lost a step I just think he's made up for it by playing smarter.  He took more hard hits this year than he had in the previous two years in Buffalo.  That workload/beating concerns me.   I'd like to see him down closer to 200 carries next season and not use him to protect leads when there is no real effort being made to score.  

14 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Last year was tough, we had a badly flawed qb and a stubborn and flawed o coach.   

Things will be better this year they are both gone 

Still have Castillo so not much will change since the oline will still suck at blocking anything.