Jump to content
BuffaloRush

The Top 5 Buffalo Bills Fullbacks Of The Past 30 Years

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Felton Spencer was 7 foot 2. And he never played in the NFL. 

 

He could have been our answer to Harold Carmichael!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I remember Jamie Mueller from Tecmo Superbowl

 

 

I'm gonna play some super tecmo tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Corey McIntyre 0:)

 

Dude

 

:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mueller was a pretty damn good FB.  I don't know I'd add him to the list of best FB's but Larry Kennebrew destroyed some team we played back in the day in a game that's stuck in my mind ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maine-iac said:

Mueller was a pretty damn good FB.  I don't know I'd add him to the list of best FB's but Larry Kennebrew destroyed some team we played back in the day in a game that's stuck in my mind ever since.

 

In actuality Mueller’s numbers weren’t as great as I thought.  He made one huge TD to win a game vs The Jets in 1990 but that’s pretty much his claim to fame. 

 

Kinnebrew had some nice season with Cincy but was fairly broken down in 1989.  He too had a fairly indistinguishable.   More like Harmon Kinnebrew 

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I want a 30 for 30 on him!! 

 

Come on boys... I said all joking aside.  Focusing strictly on his play on the football field 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

First fullback that comes to my mind is Jim Braxton.

Got to see Sam Gash play and the name fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

In actuality Mueller’s numbers weren’t as great as I thought.  He made one huge TD to win a game vs The Jets in 1990 but that’s pretty much his claim to fame. 

 

Kinnebrew had some nice season with Cincy but was fairly broken down in 1989.  He too had a fairly indistinguishable.   More like Harmon Kinnebrew 

 

Come on boys... I said all joking aside.  Focusing strictly on his play on the football field 

Tell me the last FB we had that ran for 120 yards.  Kennebrew was a monster.  He didn't have moves he just ran people over.  I'm not sure if you are just looking up stats and regurgitating but for anyone who was alive and watching he wasn't week in and week out like Thurman and Davis but he was a beast and was fun to watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Jim Braxton was by far the best in Bills history!

2 stats about Braxton that I still find amazing- 1973 in the final game where oj carried over 30 times for 200 yards to get 2000, Braxton carried 24 for 98.  Also, 1975, OJ had over 1800 yards rushing, Braxton over 800. Just a remarkable running game we had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

In actuality Mueller’s numbers weren’t as great as I thought.  He made one huge TD to win a game vs The Jets in 1990 but that’s pretty much his claim to fame. 

 

Kinnebrew had some nice season with Cincy but was fairly broken down in 1989.  He too had a fairly indistinguishable.   More like Harmon Kinnebrew 

 

Come on boys... I said all joking aside.  Focusing strictly on his play on the football field 

FWIW, Kinnebrew was way better than most of these guys. McIntyre was the most interesting period. His play off the field was hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, Kinnebrew was way better than most of these guys. McIntyre was the most interesting period. His play off the field was hilarious.

 

Nope Kinnebrew essentially played one season with the Bills.  He rushed for 531 yards which is pretty good.  But he does not make my list and was not better than my Top 5.  

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

2 stats about Braxton that I still find amazing- 1973 in the final game where oj carried over 30 times for 200 yards to get 2000, Braxton carried 24 for 98.  Also, 1975, OJ had over 1800 yards rushing, Braxton over 800. Just a remarkable running game we had.

Yeah..problem is I specified the time period.  Braxton is not eligible for this Top 5  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

Nope Kinnebrew essentially played one season with the Bills.  He rushed for 531 yards which is pretty good.  But he does not make my list and was not better than my Top 5.  

Yeah..problem is I specified the time period.  Braxton is not eligible for this Top 5  

No problem, I was replying to someone else's post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Centers was here for 2 seasons and you have to mention Carwell's contributions on special teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

 

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

 

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

 

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

 

Honorable Mention:

 

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

 

Centers played 2 years in Buffalo. Dude was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

Very very very good...not as good as Larry Centers

I guess its a matter of preference.  I loved Larry Centers gm watched him a ton in Arz but i prefer a FB that can knock your head off and no one was better then Gash at that.  I used to love watching him play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

 

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

 

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

 

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

 

Honorable Mention:

 

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

 

 

No way, Larry  was a pass catcher and not a real FB. Mueller was hammer and should be on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So rushing yards is the top consideration on the effectiveness of a FB.

 

sad times indeed...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

 

Nope Kinnebrew essentially played one season with the Bills.  He rushed for 531 yards which is pretty good.  But he does not make my list and was not better than my Top 5.  

Yeah..problem is I specified the time period.  Braxton is not eligible for this Top 5  

Kinnebrew was MILES better than McIntyre. Now, if you say that he wasn’t there long enough, fine. I’d ask what about Felton though? He was on the team for a season, got cut and came back, 2 seasons. If you want to say that Kinnebrew is more of a RB, fine. There isn’t a case to be made though that McIntyre was a better player. 

 

I’m not sure if Felton was really good or the scheme was but they put up massive YPC with him playing. I’d have him 3 behind Centers and Gash. 

 

1. Centers

2. Gash

3. Felton

4. Kinnebrew (wasn’t here long enough to be higher)

5. Gardner

 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last one I remember watching play was gash and he reminded me what it would look like if a TE played fullback.  Just a monster both in size and play style.

 

If centers was that good I need to see if I can find some film on the tubes.  I don't remember watching him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carwell Gardner, mostly because he is the first FB I remember and times were much better then. All those guys get a bump in their batting average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we move away from needing a FB in the offense. Waste of spot in my opinion and we are paying DiMarco money for like what 20-30% of the offensive snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×