The Top 5 Buffalo Bills Fullbacks Of The Past 30 Years

BuffaloRush

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

Honorable Mention:

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

Centers played 2 years in Buffalo. Dude was great.

13 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

Honorable Mention:

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

No way, Larry  was a pass catcher and not a real FB. Mueller was hammer and should be on the list.

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope Kinnebrew essentially played one season with the Bills.  He rushed for 531 yards which is pretty good.  But he does not make my list and was not better than my Top 5.  

Yeah..problem is I specified the time period.  Braxton is not eligible for this Top 5  

Kinnebrew was MILES better than McIntyre. Now, if you say that he wasn’t there long enough, fine. I’d ask what about Felton though? He was on the team for a season, got cut and came back, 2 seasons. If you want to say that Kinnebrew is more of a RB, fine. There isn’t a case to be made though that McIntyre was a better player. 

I’m not sure if Felton was really good or the scheme was but they put up massive YPC with him playing. I’d have him 3 behind Centers and Gash. 

1. Centers

2. Gash

3. Felton

4. Kinnebrew (wasn’t here long enough to be higher)

5. Gardner

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The last one I remember watching play was gash and he reminded me what it would look like if a TE played fullback.  Just a monster both in size and play style.

If centers was that good I need to see if I can find some film on the tubes.  I don't remember watching him.

15 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No way, Larry  was a pass catcher and not a real FB. Mueller was hammer and should be on the list.

Mueller was not that good.  Take a look at his stats.  He was just a guy on an offense of superstars.  There’s a reason why the Bills cut him in 91 and why no other team signed him

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kinnebrew was MILES better than McIntyre. Now, if you say that he wasn’t there long enough, fine. I’d ask what about Felton though? He was on the team for a season, got cut and came back, 2 seasons. If you want to say that Kinnebrew is more of a RB, fine. There isn’t a case to be made though that McIntyre was a better player. 

I’m not sure if Felton was really good or the scheme was but they put up massive YPC with him playing. I’d have him 3 behind Centers and Gash. 

1. Centers

2. Gash

3. Felton

4. Kinnebrew (wasn’t here long enough to be higher)

5. Gardner

I stand by my list 100% 

Kinnebrew wasn’t in Buffalo long enough to make the list.  I do have to admit I was surprised to look back and see that he rushed for 500 yards.  I don’t remember him being that big of a focal point in 1989 and he had a limited impact on a team that underachieved to a 9-7 record that year.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Mueller was not that good.  Take a look at his stats.  He was just a guy on an offense of superstars.  There’s a reason why the Bills cut him in 91 and why no other team signed him

I stand by my list 100% 

Kinnebrew wasn’t in Buffalo long enough to make the list.  I do have to admit I was surprised to look back and see that he rushed for 500 yards.  I don’t remember him being that big of a focal point in 1989 and he had a limited impact on a team that underachieved to a 9-7 record that year.  

He scored a ton of TDs too. He was a really good player but was basically a Bengal that came at the end of his career. He was more of a RB too. He was the best with the ball in his hands of any of them (with the possible exception of Centers who was a great receiver). 

We all have our lists and that’s fine. I am just struggling with an argument for McIntyre over him. There isn’t much supporting it.