Jump to content
BuffaloRush

The Top 5 Buffalo Bills Fullbacks Of The Past 30 Years

Recommended Posts

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

 

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

 

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

 

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

 

Honorable Mention:

 

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

 

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

Felton Spencer was 7 foot 2. And he never played in the NFL. 

 

Thats a bit lanky to be a FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cookie Gilchrist,  Wayne Patrick, and Jim Braxton say hello.

Before my time.  All of my lists are of the past 30 years or so

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

So my last “Top 5” thread was panned badly by some for being too negative.   Speaking of negative many have said Fullback is a “dead position” in the NFL.  Let’s take a second and remember the good times...or the good ones.  Here goes a new attempt at a fun thread and a question that’s not easy to answer.  Who was the best Bills FB of all time?!?!?  Here are my Top 5 fullbacks from my perspective:

 

5.  Corey McIntyre - All jokes aside this guy was the prefect blocking fullback.  The ideal player to run ahead of Fred Jackson. 

 

4. Jerome Felton Spencer - He was signed to a deal that was not favorable to the team but the dude could play FB.  A punishing blocker who also could catch when given the opportunity.

 

3. Carwell Gardiner - when Polian drafted him in Round 2, I’m sure he saw more of a Tom Rathman sort of role in the K-Gun.  But Carwell made some huge blocks for Thurman and Kenneth Davis and also made the Pro Bowl.  He could carry the ball if he had to as well.  

 

2. San Gash - Tremendous blocker who opened up huge holes and made average RB’s like Antwan Smith and Johnathan Linton look great. 

 

1. Larry Centers - only played 1 year in Buffalo but had an amazing impact.  He caught 80 balls as a FB.  Unreal.  Unfortunately his team was bad, but Larry is #1 in my book.  

 

Honorable Mention:

 

Jaime Mueller (not that good but memorable)

Nate Turner (Too many injuries)

Tim Tindale (Could have been used better)

Frank Sommers (meh)

Patrick DiMarco (Overpaid and Underperformed)

Mike Tolbert (Never again)

 

Jim Braxton was by far the best in Bills history!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recollect Sam Gash being such a devastating blocker that when he faked the block and instead went on a pattern, he was wide, wide open.  Defenders wanted nothing to do him.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Cookie Gilchrist was a FB. He’s number 1

In the AFL days ..wasn't a FB pretty much a running back? I wouldn't know since I was born in '64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

Felton Spencer was 7 foot 2. And he never played in the NFL. 

i was wondering who Jerome Felton Spencer was. i knew exactly who he meant but wanted too razz him... unless Rhoda was a London Fletcher Baker kind of deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

In the AFL days ..wasn't a FB pretty much a running back? I wouldn't know since I was born in '64.

Seems that way. But they also still had halfbacks who generally received most of the handoffs I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rank San Diego, San Francisco, and possibly even San Jose ahead of San Gash.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Jim Braxton was by far the best in Bills history!

Too short of a career due to knee injury but he was a great blocker who could also run (like a truck) thru opponents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Seems that way. But they also still had halfbacks who generally received most of the handoffs I believe 

Cookie and Carleton each were sort of HB/FB.  I always looked at Wray more as the FB since Cookie got more carries usually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×