Gregg Rosenthal: Veteran AFC & NFC Players Who Could Be Released

26CornerBlitz

An offering from CBS Sports.

Agent’s Take: 10 players under contract who could be on new teams next season

Job security in the NFL isn't as great as it is in the NBA and MLB because player contracts aren't fully guaranteed as they are in those sports. NFL players are released and occasionally traded every offseason because their performances aren't deemed to measure up to their pay.

Here's a look at 10 players who could be in different uniforms next season because of their contracts.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

I think it’s time to say goodbye to LorAx.

Better a year too early than a year too late.

That axiom is more about expensive, key personnel than guys who might save you $2M if you cut them($3.5 - .8 dead - replacement salary).

He was the Bills best defender in the wildcard game and played out of position all season..........they may cut him for all I know but IMO he's plenty of pass rusher for a little over $2M in cap room.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I was thinking Ray Carruth, but then I remembered he was in the NFC....

His name is Rae. 

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That axiom is more about expensive, key personnel than guys who might save you $2M if you cut them($3.5 - .8 dead - replacement salary).

He was the Bills best defender in the wildcard game and played out of position all season..........they may cut him for all I know but IMO he's plenty of pass rusher for a little over $2M in cap room.

and with Wood gone one of the few locker room leaders we have left, I'm sure we'll keep him but wouldn't be shocked to see a decrease in playing time on 1st and 2nd downs this season. 

On 2/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, White Linen said:

Tyrod isn't a bridge QB though and you certainly don't want any young QB to be groomed by him.  That's not his game.  

He's a tough athletic freak that figures out a way to play NFL QB despite having little idea how to technically play the position.  WR's, TE's and O lineman don't learn how to play their position better when he's under center.   

Yes, TT likely has minimal ability to be a great teacher to a young pocket passer. Besides, the entire “grooming a starter” thing is vastly overrated imo. Very few elite QB’s have had the chance to sit behind great QB’s early in their careers. There is a reason you get drafted highly as a QB. Chances are you either get thrown into the fire, or sit behind a bum QB prior to being called upon to start. What can a mediocre QB offer to a young starter? I don’t doubt the importance of a veteran player to share their knowledge, but these guys can be found a dime a dozen. There is no need to keep a specific QB to groom the future starter.  Grooming a starter is great when you have a franchise QB. The rest of us need to have our rookie QB ready to play immediately. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

On 2/13/2018 at 12:14 PM, K-9 said:

Right, his body of work will determine his value for whatever team signs him and for whatever they choose to sign him for, he regardless how much or how little that value ends up being. 

He and his agent were given permission to “go to the market” last year before they decided to take the Bills’ new deal. That spoke volumes at the time. I’m interested to see how much league perception has shifted since. 

How did Mike Glennon's body of work command 18m or whatever he got? How did Rob Johnson's body of work command 25m twenty years ago?

On 2/13/2018 at 12:16 PM, Fadingpain said:

I have mentioned this fact 100 times on this forum, but a lot of folks don't seem to remember that little point.

Show me 10 Tyrod Taylor fans and I will show you 10 Buffalo Bills fans.

I think it’s more the opposite.  Show me 10 Tyrod Taylor fans and I will show you 10 fans that don’t watch any Bills games, just highlights 

I'd be all over Juwan James if MIA lets him go. He's good just overpaid.

Robert Quinn would be amazing.

Tavon Austin on the cheap could be fun.

If we cut Hughes, which I think could be possible given his salary, I could see either Micheal or Charles Johnson here as a stop gap at DE

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

How did Mike Glennon's body of work command 18m or whatever he got? How did Rob Johnson's body of work command 25m twenty years ago?

That’s just it, isn’t it? A player’s value is solely in the eye of the beholder. There is little rhyme or reason it seems. I think a lot of it has to do with sheer desperation to fill the most important position in sports. Often, a small sample size can work to a player’s advantage, too; not enough examples of crappy play to dissuade a team from making rash decisions. 

On 2/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, billsfan_34 said:

Hey 26, I know this has been discussed but I am going to go on the record now.

- I dont want to over pay for a FA QB- Cousins worries me when the game is on the line

- Keeping TT and drafting our guy makes much more sense to me. Let a rook sit a year and learn. Heck, and if he beats out TT so be it, then we have a solid 2 while Peterman develops into a 2.

- We have a ton of holes, I would rather sit tight at 21 and take the best QB available wether it is Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. Use the rest of our picks for the many holes we have and we all know what they are.

Go Bills

odds are good that peterman beats out tyrod in camp so save the 18 mil.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I believe Alexander will be around for 2018.  

i hope so and i think he'll do a team friendly deal. if not, i hope he retires and takes donald jone's spot on wgr.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/13/2018 at 2:21 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

TT has absolutely no NFL value to any other team other than as a backup. Last year his agent looked and found no interest. The only way I'd agree to keep Tyrod as a 2 yr bridge qb would be for him to agree to 14M and groom our 1st round qb @ 21.

i totally am against tyrod as a bridge. you can't run an offense based on tyrod's skills or lack thereof when your new qb needs to learn a completely different system. just a waste of money and time.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, MDFan said:

It is a two year deal and not big money. He still has great value as a situational player, special teamer, and locker room leader. Not going anywhere. 

didn't know that. i too thought he was ufa.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod Taylor, DeMarco Murray among AFC cut candidates

Kirk Cousins is the belle of the free-agency ball. Alex Smith already found his new team. And the trio of Vikings quarterbacks set to hit free agency are being discussed to death -- all of which leaves Tyrod Tayloras the forgotten man in this offseason's quarterback puzzle.

That's largely because Taylor is a member of the Buffalo Bills, at least for now. Taylor is one of the big names on my annual list of veterans who could be released before the start of free agency. Last year's listincluded a few future Hall of Famers and the Super Bowl LII MVP. Below is a quick look at some of the AFC names on the bubble that could become available in free agency this year.

Strong Candidates for Release

1) Tyrod Taylor, QB, Buffalo Bills: Taylor accepted a restructured contract to remain the Bills' starter last offseason. He's not playing that game this time around, so the Bills will have to either use $18 million in cap room on Taylor or set him free. I believe Taylor is worth that money as a mid-level starter, but it will be tough for the Bills to attract anything more than a late-round pick for Taylor in a potential trade after they benched him for rookie Nathan Peterman ahead of a Week 11 game against the Chargers. Taylor's 2018 status was all but written that day in Los Angeles, despite the fact that he was quickly reinstated as the starter and helped Buffalo end its long playoff drought.

On the Bubble

3) Lorenzo Alexander, LB, Buffalo Bills: A fantastic story as a Pro Bowler in 2016, Alexander -- who will turn 35 in May -- came back to Earth last season.

I’m not a Taylor hater, but the indignation that some of these national reporters express about Taylor’s benching is waaaaay over the top.  In the 2 games right after his benching he threw for 164 yards and 0 TDS against KC and then 85 (eighty-five) yards against NE.  Keep in mind that the much-maligned Peterman managed 92 yards and 2 TDS in a blinding snowstorm the next week.

That doesn’t scream mid-level starter to me.  I don’t think there will be a great bidding war for him.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I believe Alexander will be around for 2018.  

Great locker room guy,but let's face the facts..he is only worthy of a back up role now..if that.His "let's go out and kick some ***" train of thought is awesome for sure. .but his legs are telling him otherwise..he is slow now and became a liability starting with the road night game at the jets and vs the saints..jmho