Gregg Rosenthal: Veteran AFC & NFC Players Who Could Be Released

26CornerBlitz

Tyrod Taylor, DeMarco Murray among AFC cut candidates

Kirk Cousins is the belle of the free-agency ball. Alex Smith already found his new team. And the trio of Vikings quarterbacks set to hit free agency are being discussed to death -- all of which leaves Tyrod Tayloras the forgotten man in this offseason's quarterback puzzle.

That's largely because Taylor is a member of the Buffalo Bills, at least for now. Taylor is one of the big names on my annual list of veterans who could be released before the start of free agency. Last year's listincluded a few future Hall of Famers and the Super Bowl LII MVP. Below is a quick look at some of the AFC names on the bubble that could become available in free agency this year.

Strong Candidates for Release

1) Tyrod Taylor, QB, Buffalo Bills: Taylor accepted a restructured contract to remain the Bills' starter last offseason. He's not playing that game this time around, so the Bills will have to either use $18 million in cap room on Taylor or set him free. I believe Taylor is worth that money as a mid-level starter, but it will be tough for the Bills to attract anything more than a late-round pick for Taylor in a potential trade after they benched him for rookie Nathan Peterman ahead of a Week 11 game against the Chargers. Taylor's 2018 status was all but written that day in Los Angeles, despite the fact that he was quickly reinstated as the starter and helped Buffalo end its long playoff drought.

On the Bubble

3) Lorenzo Alexander, LB, Buffalo Bills: A fantastic story as a Pro Bowler in 2016, Alexander -- who will turn 35 in May -- came back to Earth last season.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Hey 26, I know this has been discussed but I am going to go on the record now.

- I dont want to over pay for a FA QB- Cousins worries me when the game is on the line

- Keeping TT and drafting our guy makes much more sense to me. Let a rook sit a year and learn. Heck, and if he beats out TT so be it, then we have a solid 2 while Peterman develops into a 2.

- We have a ton of holes, I would rather sit tight at 21 and take the best QB available wether it is Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. Use the rest of our picks for the many holes we have and we all know what they are.

Go Bills

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Hey 26, I know this has been discussed but I am going to go on the record now.

- I dont want to over pay for a FA QB- Cousins worries me when the game is on the line

- Keeping TT and drafting our guy makes much more sense to me. Let a rook sit a year and learn. Heck, and if he beats out TT so be it, then we have a solid 2 while Peterman develops into a 2.

- We have a ton of holes, I would rather sit tight at 21 and take the best QB available wether it is Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. Use the rest of our picks for the many holes we have and we all know what they are.

Go Bills

You likely know that I don't want the Bills to pay the exorbitant cost it will take to sign Cousins in UFA.  It's possible they keep Taylor and I believe his fate will be determined in the March 12 time frame when teams are allowed to talk to pending UFAs.  IMO, the Bills should pony up and pay the price to get the guy they see as a potential franchise QB if there is a deal to be made. 

So benching Taylor for a half is what lowers his trade value? Rosenthal hasn't been paying attention.  Also, aTT and his agent were given the freedom to seek other options last off season befor they signed that new deal with the Bills. The only factor in determining his value is the complete body of work TT has established. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You likely know that I don't want the Bills to pay the exorbitant cost it will take to sign Cousins in UFA.  It's possible they keep Taylor and I believe his fate will be determined in the March 12 time frame when teams are allowed to talk to pending UFAs.  IMO, the Bills should pony up and pay the price to get the guy they see as a potential franchise QB if there is a deal to be made. 

I actually didnt know but seems were on the same page. He just is not worth 30 mil a year. 12 March will be very interesting for sure, lets hope the Bills have a good plan. Ya know, everyone wants TT to be a bonified number 1 but he just isnt. He is a great teammate and a solid 2 in this league and we need to upgrade at QB either by draft or FA- FA is going to be costly tho.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So benching Taylor for a half is what lowers his trade value? Rosenthal hasn't been paying attention.  Also, aTT and his agent were given the freedom to seek other options last off season befor they signed that new deal with the Bills. The only factor in determining his value is the complete body of work TT has established. 

TT has absolutely no NFL value to any other team other than as a backup. Last year his agent looked and found no interest. The only way I'd agree to keep Tyrod as a 2 yr bridge qb would be for him to agree to 14M and groom our 1st round qb @ 21.

30 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

TT has absolutely no NFL value to any other team other than as a backup. Last year his agent looked and found no interest. The only way I'd agree to keep Tyrod as a 2 yr bridge qb would be for him to agree to 14M and groom our 1st round qb @ 21.

Tyrod isn't a bridge QB though and you certainly don't want any young QB to be groomed by him.  That's not his game.  

He's a tough athletic freak that figures out a way to play NFL QB despite having little idea how to technically play the position.  WR's, TE's and O lineman don't learn how to play their position better when he's under center.   

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I'm not saying this in a snarky way but it is his body of work that will reveal how little his value is in the market. 

My feeling on the Taylor issue is that he has been very diligent and loyal to the team and organization. If I had the authority I would allow him to go to the market and find the best deal for himself. Then I would make the deal even if he was given up for virtually nothing. He deserves that special consideration. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm not saying this in a snarky way but it is his body of work that will reveal how little his value is in the market. 

My feeling on the Taylor issue is that he has been very diligent and loyal to the team and organization. If I had the authority I would allow him to go to the market and find the best deal for himself. Then I would make the deal even if he was given up for virtually nothing. He deserves that special consideration. 

Right, his body of work will determine his value for whatever team signs him and for whatever they choose to sign him for, he regardless how much or how little that value ends up being. 

He and his agent were given permission to “go to the market” last year before they decided to take the Bills’ new deal. That spoke volumes at the time. I’m interested to see how much league perception has shifted since. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I have mentioned this fact 100 times on this forum, but a lot of folks don't seem to remember that little point.

Show me 10 Tyrod Taylor fans and I will show you 10 Buffalo Bills fans.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I have mentioned this fact 100 times on this forum, but a lot of folks don't seem to remember that little point.

Show me 10 Tyrod Taylor fans and I will show you 10 Buffalo Bills fans.

I’m a Tyrod Taylor fan as well as a Bills fan and yet, I don’t happen to think he’s a very good QB.