Joe Buscaglias take on the QB situation

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I like the vibe of Joes thinking.  A real...cut the cord and go for broke approach.  There is no safety net in this approach.  

Cortes was a Spanish Conquistador who upon reaching his destination ordered hi ships destroyed telling his men they would have to conquer or die.  There was no going back.

no greater motivation to do everything to get a QB then having no other option but to have one.

I would have liked to have seen Montana.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No thanks to the injury prone and awful McClown.   If the Bills do make the move to get Mayfield, I'd roll with him from day 1 as the #1 QB. 

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Lots and lots of options for sure. Which is far better than having no options.  The ONLY scenario I imagine that would NOT sell with the fan base is keeping Tyrod as the starter. All other options are going to be anyone’s guess and we’ll have to wait and see how it plays over the course of 2018.

Excuse me, but making decisions about QBs to placate the fans is exactly what got the Bills busts JP Losman and EJ Manuel as well as possibly missing in the playoffs in both 2013 and 2014 (assuming they kept Fitzpatrick).  The Bills need to do what's best to make the Bills a winning team rather than what boosts the bottom line by selling a few more tickets early in the season.  Making the playoffs -- and winning -- will take care of filling seats and making fans happy.  Ask the Jags.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

A nice analysis, but the question is whether the Bills see any of the supposed top guys this year as the kind of QB they have to have and would thus use a lot of picks to move up.  My guess is not.  But we'll see.

This is my objection to all the advocates for taking a first round QB in 2018.  The only reason to take a first round QB, whether the Bills trade up or wait until #21, is because the Bills want that QB and none other.  He can't be their second choice.  He can't be drafted to placate the fans.  He has to be their guy.  If he's not, then pass.   Take  a QB in the second or third if they want an upgrade to Peterman.

BTW, I have no idea how they feel about any of the top QB prospects.

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

But he didn’t cut them. He wheeled and dealed them

Since "wheeled and dealed" implies that Beane was a crafty negotiator who got more for them than he probably should have, I would say a more accurate description of his trades would be that Beane meekly took whatever the other teams were willing to give.  IMO, the Bills wouldn't have just cut Watkins -- and probably not Ragland and Dareus, either.  Moreover, if the 2018 draft doesn't yield big time results, then Beane's moves failed.

Edited by SoTier

5 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If you think Mayfield starts day 1, then I propose signing Fitzpatrick as his back-up.

Do you really want to draft Mayfield and jinx him like that?  Signing Ftiz as your backup pretty much insures your first stringer going down.  I don't know how he does it.  Todd Collins went years in between snaps as a backup.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Do you really want to draft Mayfield and jinx him like that?  Signing Ftiz as your backup pretty much insures your first stringer going down.  I don't know how he does it.  Todd Collins went years in between snaps as a backup.

It is pure information overload.  One of the backup QB's job is to brief QB on what is seen - very few QBs can keep up with Fitzpatrick.

6 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

FA

1. Kirk Cousins 

2. AJ McCarron

3. Nick Foles

Draft

1. Darnold 

2. Mayfield 

3. Luke Falk

You have six options to upgrade your QB position. 

I'd replace Falk with Rudolph. And move Foles ahead of McCarron. Everything thing else good. Im also intrigued over Jackson?

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Cutting TT doesn't mean he won't get a look at resigning for less money.  Of course, he would get to shop himself around.  The #21 pick Qb will be the guy from OSU.....he can't start and neither can Peterman.   Now, Daboll will have a big say in whether their is a desire to keep TT around.  If they want more run/pass.option...TT is capable of that game...more so than many..including Mason Rudoph or Nate Peterman.  Of course, if you draft the man from Louisville.....he is that run/pass type (Lamar Jackson)   Daboll will have a voice here.  And, it doesn't matter who the QB is if we don't get some wr's that can separate.  Benjiman is a speciman, but not a separation type.  ZJ is also a moves man, and the jury is out on him imho.  Only Thompson has speed and separation ability.   Don't know if Streeter has that speed...Holmes is a poor mans Benjamin.  Bills may be going backward before they go forward imho.  They need to reload bigtime in a lot of areas.

I couldn't agree more. Our wr's and their ability to seperate scare me.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll take Tyrod over McCown.

McCown had the better statistical year but coughed up a lot of Jets games with bad, Fitzpatrick esque turnovers at the absolute worst time. 

Still I agree with Joe. Do everything possible to secure a first round QB these guys like.

Yep.

Pretty much how I see it. Can't give Beane any credit yet. He traded away some pretty good players for unknown draft picks. Got to see how those draft picks pan out.

If they use those picks to get a franchise QB then hats off to them.

I don't necessarily disagree with them clearing this deadwood.  Just saying it was what it was. He was just dumping guys they didn't want on the team--he wasn't interested in the deals that it took to get them out.

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2017-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-quarterbacks

Recommendations for 2018

1) Do everything in their power to secure a first round QB they believe in
- We can sit here and discuss the virtues of trying to find a defensive tackle, a linebacker, a running back — or really anything else, but it’s all secondary to finally finding an answer to the question that has evaded the franchise since Jim Kelly retired. Who will be their next franchise quarterback? That must be the focal point of the 2018 NFL Draft — and you’d have to believe that it is for GM Brandon Beane as well. The trouble is, in order for them to do it and trade all the way up into the top six, it will likely cost them a great deal, especially if they’re trading into the top three or four picks. Would they be able to stomach the idea of trading both first-round picks, perhaps next year’s first-round pick, and something else to sweeten the deal? That might just be what it takes to get themselves the young quarterback they truly believe in. So whether it’s UCLA’s Josh Rosen, USC’s Sam Darnold, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield, or Wyoming’s Josh Allen that is the apple of their eye (and I’ll be writing more about that as we go along in the offseason), if the Bills want to secure that player, they are likely going to need to move all the way up to get the job done. And if there’s any GM that can do it, the wheeling and dealing Brandon Beane certainly isn’t afraid of the task.

2) Make the Tyrod Taylor decision by March 16
- In an ideal world, the Bills could wait until after the draft to make the Tyrod Taylor decision to see how the draft and free agency all shake out before making a firm decision on their own 2018 identity at quarterback. However, this isn’t an ideal world this offseason for them, and they have a deadline to make the decision on Taylor. On March 16, Taylor has a $6 million roster bonus due that becomes fully guaranteed both in the money they have to pay him, and against the salary cap. At the present moment, if the Bills were to walk away from Taylor today, they would be on the hook for $8.64 million against the cap. If March 16 comes and goes, that increases their minimal cap hit for Taylor to $14.64 million if they were to part ways with him. With that in mind, that puts a bright red circle around Friday, March 16 as the day they must make a decision to either trade or release him. And at this point, you’d have to think the odds favor the Bills moving on ahead of the 2018 season — but in the NFL, you can never truly rule out anything.

3) If Tyrod is moved, wait until after the draft and sign a veteran
- Obviously this is all dependent on the ultimate decision they make on Tyrod Taylor, but even if they are able to secure a potential young quarterback to be their future starter, they’re going to need a veteran presence on the roster to at least be the backup as they continue the development of Nathan Peterman as a potential backup of the future. The reasons for waiting until after the draft is important, too. If they were to get into the early market for players like Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, or whoever else for the short-term, that would cost them so much that it would cancel out the high 2019 compensatory pick they could be receiving for losing E.J. Gaines via free agency this offseason. Plus, if the goal is to eventually turn the keys over to the young draft pick, signing a player to that contract for anywhere from 0 to a full year’s worth of starts doesn’t seem all that worth it to me. In my opinion, the better course of action would be to wait until after the draft (in the hopes that they land the young quarterback) and then to sign a moderately priced veteran that the young player can work with on his development of learning how to be a professional quarterback. There is also the option of the Bills waiting to see who gets released from their current contracts too because that wouldn’t count against their compensatory formula for 2019. Either way, the Bills must first make the decision on Taylor and then have a direct plan of attack to accomplish all of their goals.

Not sure I can say that I agree with #3. 

That would be quite a huge gamble. You can pretty much guarantee that any QB worth a damn will be long gone by the draft (and probably well before that). 

You can only draft the QB of the future if he's available in the draft. With all the teams at and near the top of the draft, there is no guarantee that the Bills can snag the guy they want, or even move up if that's what they choose to try and do. 

So that means, in scenario #3, there would be a real chance of having Peterman,  another mid/late round rookie, and some garbage vet (think someone like TJ Yates. For reference , guys like Josh McCown and Geno Smith were signed about 4 days after free agency began. Even EJ Manuel was signed about 1 and 1/2 weeks after free agency started and well before the draft). 

The only real way I'd do #3 is if the Bills are able to secure a trade for one of the top 3 picks in the draft between now and the start of the new league year, and finalize that trade right when the trade window opens again (the same day fre agency opens).

In that scenario the Bills would pretty much have to be 100% comfortable with 3 QBs in this draft, as there's no way to know who goes 1 and 2, especially if they finalized the trade almost a month before the draft. 

Otherwise its just way too reckless IMO. Unless the Bills have no plans of trying to improve upon last season and they don't care who plays QB for them (highly unlikely). Or they are very comfortable with the prospects of Nate Peterman as their starting QB next year (again, I don't see it). 

The Bills pretty much have 4 days to improve upon Tyrod Taylor in feee agency (march 12th when the tampering window opens to March 16th when they have to decide on his bonus/option). How that 4 days goes will probably determine what happens with Tyrod. I just can't see McBeane cutting him before some other plan is firmly in place. They don't seem like the reckless type. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd replace Falk with Rudolph. And move Foles ahead of McCarron. Everything thing else good. Im also intrigued over Jackson?

I couldn't agree more. Our wr's and their ability to seperate scare me.

I wonder if part of that was due to Dennison’s scheme

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I wonder if part of that was due to Dennison’s scheme

Truly believe Dennison scheme or his play calling for most of the season didnt help at all........we can blame the QB or whoever but just about every player on offence this past season regressed from the prior year overall.....Dennison couldnt even adjust or seems like not being able to (compared to most other coaches in the league).....im so glad he is gone.....this is the same guy who pretty much tried to tell a QB like Manning how he should play QB (i remember that situation clearly in denver...guys a moron!)....

• Thank you (+1) 1

You folks need to get a grip..look at the number # 2 option again and digest it.We need to face the facts,the Beans Counter is not going to fork over high draft picks to move up ..he told us it's a process.Taylor most likely be the starter next fall..I'm not stoked about that idea but I can handle the fact.

Look to add the best Qb possible at the start of the league year to avoid paying Taylors option.  Depending what happens will paint a better picture of how to attack the draft.  Outside of a trade or signing Cousins I think the Bills would need to be aggressive early to get their Qb.  I believe this is the best draft since 2004.  Im not a draft a Qb because you need a Qb kind of fan.  This class is the best in a long time Imo.  Buffalo has the most picks in a long time and I feel the oppurtunity is there for the Bills to take advantage of it.

7 hours ago, simool said:

Man I am not sold on Rudolph, coupled with him looking like Mike Rodak and Carly Simon's love child? Pass... I would take Jackson before him or better yet, I would trade back and take Mike White over both of them.

lol.....everyone form Boston Pats territory looks like some version of Rodak and Grappolo

Lamar Jackson looks like the love child of Michael Jackson/Donovan McNabb/Lavar/Lonzo Ball. One big mash.

McCown looks like the love child of Ben Roethlisberger and Will Ferrell.

I would like White also, he could be had in later rounds like K Cousins was.

11 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Following Joe B's instructions, I hope it's McCown and Mayfield. 

No way.  I don't want any parts of the McCown's of the world.  If that's their thought they should just put the rookie out there from jump street and let him learn on the job.