Joe Buscaglias take on the QB situation

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2017-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-quarterbacks

Recommendations for 2018

1) Do everything in their power to secure a first round QB they believe in
- We can sit here and discuss the virtues of trying to find a defensive tackle, a linebacker, a running back — or really anything else, but it’s all secondary to finally finding an answer to the question that has evaded the franchise since Jim Kelly retired. Who will be their next franchise quarterback? That must be the focal point of the 2018 NFL Draft — and you’d have to believe that it is for GM Brandon Beane as well. The trouble is, in order for them to do it and trade all the way up into the top six, it will likely cost them a great deal, especially if they’re trading into the top three or four picks. Would they be able to stomach the idea of trading both first-round picks, perhaps next year’s first-round pick, and something else to sweeten the deal? That might just be what it takes to get themselves the young quarterback they truly believe in. So whether it’s UCLA’s Josh Rosen, USC’s Sam Darnold, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield, or Wyoming’s Josh Allen that is the apple of their eye (and I’ll be writing more about that as we go along in the offseason), if the Bills want to secure that player, they are likely going to need to move all the way up to get the job done. And if there’s any GM that can do it, the wheeling and dealing Brandon Beane certainly isn’t afraid of the task.

2) Make the Tyrod Taylor decision by March 16
- In an ideal world, the Bills could wait until after the draft to make the Tyrod Taylor decision to see how the draft and free agency all shake out before making a firm decision on their own 2018 identity at quarterback. However, this isn’t an ideal world this offseason for them, and they have a deadline to make the decision on Taylor. On March 16, Taylor has a $6 million roster bonus due that becomes fully guaranteed both in the money they have to pay him, and against the salary cap. At the present moment, if the Bills were to walk away from Taylor today, they would be on the hook for $8.64 million against the cap. If March 16 comes and goes, that increases their minimal cap hit for Taylor to $14.64 million if they were to part ways with him. With that in mind, that puts a bright red circle around Friday, March 16 as the day they must make a decision to either trade or release him. And at this point, you’d have to think the odds favor the Bills moving on ahead of the 2018 season — but in the NFL, you can never truly rule out anything.

3) If Tyrod is moved, wait until after the draft and sign a veteran
- Obviously this is all dependent on the ultimate decision they make on Tyrod Taylor, but even if they are able to secure a potential young quarterback to be their future starter, they’re going to need a veteran presence on the roster to at least be the backup as they continue the development of Nathan Peterman as a potential backup of the future. The reasons for waiting until after the draft is important, too. If they were to get into the early market for players like Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, or whoever else for the short-term, that would cost them so much that it would cancel out the high 2019 compensatory pick they could be receiving for losing E.J. Gaines via free agency this offseason. Plus, if the goal is to eventually turn the keys over to the young draft pick, signing a player to that contract for anywhere from 0 to a full year’s worth of starts doesn’t seem all that worth it to me. In my opinion, the better course of action would be to wait until after the draft (in the hopes that they land the young quarterback) and then to sign a moderately priced veteran that the young player can work with on his development of learning how to be a professional quarterback. There is also the option of the Bills waiting to see who gets released from their current contracts too because that wouldn’t count against their compensatory formula for 2019. Either way, the Bills must first make the decision on Taylor and then have a direct plan of attack to accomplish all of their goals.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the vibe of Joes thinking.  A real...cut the cord and go for broke approach.  There is no safety net in this approach.  

Cortes was a Spanish Conquistador who upon reaching his destination ordered hi ships destroyed telling his men they would have to conquer or die.  There was no going back.

no greater motivation to do everything to get a QB then having no other option but to have one.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would not trade up for a QB, and look to acquire more picks.  There is a good chance that Lamar Jackson is available at 21.  If so I make the pick and trade down for more picks.  We need QB, DT, Edge, LBs, C, CB, T, WR- we need all the picks we can get!  Do not waste draft capital to overpay for a QB.  No thank you to Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, RGIII or the latest overhyped QB that comes with a steep price and a big cap hit.  Stay put and let the QB and draft come to us

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/13/2012-serves-as-a-reminder-of-the-unpredictability-of-the-draft/

"The 2017 performance of those eight quarterbacks is a good reminder of the unpredictability of the draft.

The four first-round quarterbacks in 2012 selected threw a combined total of zero passes in 2017. Andrew Luck, who went first overall to Indianapolis, missed the whole season with a shoulder injury. Robert Griffin III, who went second overall to Washington, is out of the NFL. Ryan Tannehill, who went eighth overall to Miami, missed the whole season with a knee injury. Brandon Weeden, who went 22nd overall to Cleveland, is a third-stringer for the Titans.

The quarterback selected in the second round in 2012, Brock Osweiler, is so bad that his primary contribution in 2017 was being part of one of the strangest trades in NFL history: The Texans traded a second-round pick to the Browns just to get them go take Osweiler and his expensive contract off their hands. After absorbing Osweiler’s cap hit and watching him in the preseason, the Browns cut him. He ended up back with the Broncos, the team that initially drafted him, and did not play well in 2017.

And then there were the next three quarterbacks drafted: Russell Wilson, who went 75th overall to Seattle, has won a Super Bowl and was an MVP candidate last season. Nick Foles, who went 88th overall to Philadelphia, just won the Super Bowl MVP award. And Kirk Cousins, who went 102nd overall to Washington, may sign the biggest contract in NFL history when he hits free agency next month."

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I like the vibe of Joes thinking.  A real...cut the cord and go for broke approach.  There is no safety net in this approach.  

Cortes was a Spanish Conquistador who upon reaching his destination ordered hi ships destroyed telling his men they would have to conquer or die.  There was no going back.

no greater motivation to do everything to get a QB then having no other option but to have one.

This might be my favorite post I’ve seen on this board.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would not trade up for a QB, and look to acquire more picks.  There is a good chance that Lamar Jackson is available at 21.  If so I make the pick and trade down for more picks.  We need QB, DT, Edge, LBs, C, CB, T, WR- we need all the picks we can get!  Do not waste draft capital to overpay for a QB.  No thank you to Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, RGIII or the latest overhyped QB that comes with a steep price and a big cap hit.  Stay put and let the QB and draft come to us

That’s the thing, do they feel comfortable waiting for the chance that the QB they want will be there at 21? I totally agree with your opinion though. I’m always on board for trading back and acquiring more picks. It all depends on free agency really

19 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I don't hate the all-in approach Joe B is suggesting here.

I don't love the kill-all approach Cortes used on the natives in Mexico. But I guess he was a badass motivator, eh?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No thanks to the injury prone and awful McClown.   If the Bills do make the move to get Mayfield, I'd roll with him from day 1 as the #1 QB. 

I mean, McCown put up pretty good numbers last year considering he was on the Jets, but okay. 

If you think Mayfield starts day 1, then I propose signing Fitzpatrick as his back-up.

What say you?

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

FA

1. Kirk Cousins 

2. AJ McCarron

3. Nick Foles

Draft

1. Darnold 

2. Mayfield 

3. Luke Falk

You have six options to upgrade your QB position. 

Two of the three QBs you listed aren’t even pending free agents.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I mean, McCown put up pretty good numbers last year considering he was on the Jets, but okay. 

If you think Mayfield starts day 1, then I propose signing Fitzpatrick as his back-up.

What say you?

So you want Mayfield to sustain a season ending injury?  :o

• Haha (+1) 1