Why Did Mitch Frerotte Never Wrestle For WWF?

BuffaloRush

hqdefault.jpg

With all the talk about Rob Gronkowski potentially starting a career in acting/wrestling when he retired, if you're a long-time Bills fan you had to think of this.  

Do you remember Mitch "The Pitbull" Frerotte.  #59 the guard who rocked the 80's mullet and the black face paint to match.  In the same way that everyone mentions Harvard and wedding rings when Ryan Fitzpatrick plays, announcers would also talk about Frerotte's future career in WWF.  I believe that the WWF even gave Mitch a shout out on Monday Night Raw the week before Super Bowl 27.  

Then for some reason Frerotte's wrestling career never happened.  This always baffled me because it seemed like they talked about his future WWF career every week.  The Washington Post even wrote an article about it (I forgot that Mitch actually scored a playoff TD in 1992/1993):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1993/01/11/wwf-life-awaits-bills-pit-bull/6147908b-d147-4c18-9a03-6830ee4c3d78/?utm_term=.2e5a5969faff

Anyone know what happened to Mitch's wrestling career that never happened???

Edited by BuffaloRush

When I read the title, I thought of Gus Frerotte first - especially when he celebrated that touchdown run by headbutting the wall in Washington.

That would be a fun celebration routine or a trademark victory maneuver.

Now, as for Mitch...gotta agree wholeheartedly.  The man was made for the ring.

33 minutes ago, dulles said:

When I read the title, I thought of Gus Frerotte first - especially when he celebrated that touchdown run by headbutting the wall in Washington.

I loved that Gus Frerotte moment. Redskins had Heath Shuler (high pick) and Gus Frerotte (low pick) at QB, and let's just say that the mental aspect of quarterbacking wasn't exactly the strong suit of either one of them ...

He didn't live that long.  I think he died about 10 years ago. I remember him with the Seahawks when I lived in Seattle, early 90's.  He was tight with the owner Ken Bering.  Used to stand on the sidelines next to Ken.   That was kind of obvious because not too many liked Ken, but Mitch seemed to hit it off, with him? 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

He didn't live that long.  I think he died about 10 years ago. I remember him with the Seahawks when I lived in Seattle, early 90's.  He was tight with the owner Ken Bering.  Used to stand on the sidelines next to Ken.   That was kind of obvious because not too many liked Ken, but Mitch seemed to hit it off, with him? 

Mitch died from a massive heart attack at his mother's home on June 11, 2008. The coroner's report attributed his death to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a genetic heart condition which the American Heart Association calls the most common cause of sudden death in young athletes.

Mitch Frerotte

I'd wager either family, money, or health.

The WW[F] travel schedule, especially back in the 80's and 90's, was very brutal, with 300+ shows per year. It's still pretty brutal on the performers, but apparently nothing like it was back in the day.

18 hours ago, dulles said:

They were cousins.