NFL.com: AFC East Rookie Grades - Bills Earn a B Grade

26CornerBlitz

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915713/article/afc-east-rookie-grades-defensive-pieces-impact-all-squads

Buffalo Bills

Round 1: (No. 27 overall) Tre'Davious White, CB, 16 games/16 starts.
Round 2: (37) Zay Jones, WR, 15 games/10 starts; (63) Dion Dawkins, OT, 16 games/11 starts.
Round 5: (163) Matt Milano, LB, 16 games/5 starts; (171) Nathan Peterman, QB, 4 games/2 starts.
Round 6: (195) Tanner Vallejo, LB, 15 games/0 starts.

Buffalo found a pair of immediate contributors in White and Jones, with the former playing so well that he built a strong case for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Jones showed flashes of potential while popping in and out of Buffalo's offense. Dawkins found himself in the starting lineup for much of the season, making that second-round pick worthwhile. Milano was a surprise impact player, starting at Will linebacker with solid play. Peterman was a disaster in his first start, which felt forced in the midst of a playoff season. He seems to be in line to start whenever Buffalo finally cuts ties with Tyrod Taylor (whether it's warranted is another discussion), but he doesn't excite many folks. GRADE: B

Combine/free agency focus: Lorenzo Alexander isn't getting any younger, and a more youthful on-ball linebacker would be a wise addition. Buffalo also desperately needs some depth at running back behind LeSean McCoy, who does an admirable and excellent job of carrying the offense on his back, but deserves a quality spell back. With the news of Eric Wood's retirement, the Bills are also immediately in the market for a center, which should be a top priority. Oh, and there's that quarterback conundrum. We aren't sure Bills management won't trip over itself with the Taylor/Peterman situation. A better option probably exists outside Orchard Park, but that might not arrive in 2018.

I think that the grade is reasonable but the analysis a little off. Zay Jones and Nathan Peterman were nothing short of awful (and I liked Jones and thought Peterman was okay coming out). White and Dawkins were outstanding. Milano looks like a steal as well. So, 3 really good picks, 2 guys that looked out of place and a ST guy. That’s a pretty good draft IMO. If either Zay or Peterman (or Vallejo) develop it is a home run.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Peteredman was picked too early by Bills.  He should have been a 7th round developmental player and they should not have depending on him being backup to TT who tends to get injured.

Jones needs a new mentor; his Eastern Carolina coach was not able to help him raise his game to the NFL level.

White, Dawkins and Milano were successes and Vallejo has potential as a depth player.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the grade is reasonable but the analysis a little off. Zay Jones and Nathan Peterman were nothing short of awful (and I liked Jones and thought Peterman was okay coming out). White and Dawkins were outstanding. Milano looks like a steal as well. So, 3 really good picks, 2 guys that looked out of place and a ST guy. That’s a pretty good draft IMO. If either Zay or Peterman (or Vallejo) develop it is a home run.

White was outstanding and easily exceeded expectations while Dawkins was solid.  Jones was very disappointing to Zay the least. :)  Peterman I didn't expect much from, but he was even worse than I initially thought.   Jones really needs to bounce back as a 2nd round pick they traded up to acquire.   Peterman is hopefully rendered moot with the Bills drafting a QB in the 1st round after they sign a bridge QB in the interim while developing the potential franchise guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

White was outstanding and easily exceeded expectations while Dawkins was solid.  Jones was very disappointing to Zay the least. :)  Peterman I didn't expect much from, but he was even worse than I initially thought.   Jones really needs to bounce back as a 2nd round pick they traded up to acquire.   Peterman is hopefully rendered moot with the Bills drafting a QB in the 1st round after they sign a bridge QB in the interim while developing the potential franchise guy. 

The only place that we disagree is on Dawkins. He stepped into the toughest place on the OL. They had success running left and he was good in pass protection. He looks like a franchise LT at the end of the 2nd round. I have that above solid.

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The only place that we disagree is on Dawkins. He stepped into the toughest place on the OL. They had success running left and he was good in pass protection. He looks like a franchise LT at the end of the 2nd round. I have that above solid.

He was very good in the run game and pretty good as a pass blocker.   Nice job overall.  

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know why, but I honestly think Zay will be just fine in the long run. His rookie year transition was rough, but I feel confident he’ll be a solid contributor in time. Time will tell. 

I feel similarly. I’m not worried about him at all, truth be told. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have a completely mixed view on last draft. It really all depends on what happens with KC's 22nd pick this year. We all love White and I get it, but if Buffalo does not address the QB position this year the draft is a flat out F in my mind. 

Passing on Mahomes and Watson for White is not even close to a win and trading up for Zay looks bad as of right now.

Again, not trying to bash as I want to see what KC's pick turns into and if Zay can turn the corner. Overall just mixed emotions on it still.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big C said:

We aren't going to stop hearing from the media about how center is a top priority. It isn't. Groy should slide in just fine. I hope we don't waste a 1st on a center.

I seriously don’t think there is a chance of that! 

24 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I have a completely mixed view on last draft. It really all depends on what happens with KC's 22nd pick this year. We all love White and I get it, but if Buffalo does not address the QB position this year the draft is a flat out F in my mind. 

Passing on Mahomes and Watson for White is not even close to a win and trading up for Zay looks bad as of right now.

Again, not trying to bash as I want to see what KC's pick turns into and if Zay can turn the corner. Overall just mixed emotions on it still.

Yup.  We had an opportunity to draft the QB of our choosing and we passed.  That's why it's hard to grade a draft after only one year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t know why, but I honestly think Zay will be just fine in the long run. His rookie year transition was rough, but I feel confident he’ll be a solid contributor in time. Time will tell. 

I can't think of one thing he excels at. He was well below average at separation, route running, and catching the ball. He could turn it all around but very few rookies who look that bad end up having good careers. We shouldn't give up on him totally yet but that's what my realistic side says.

I'd give the draft a B+. Gaining an extra 1st round pick and still drafting the DROY runner up is very impressive. Jones is a bust so far and Dawkins has a lot of potential. Anything after the 4th round for me is just gravy, so extra credit is given for finding a starting LB with a 5th rounder. If Milano develops this will end up being an A- draft in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You can give the Bills management an “F” for not addressing the position but you can’t say that the draft is an “F.” Your team isn’t only comprised of a QB. The Bills got a Pro Bowl CB, a franchise LT, a starting LB and another 1st. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

F is pure twatwaffle status

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We get a potential shut down corner and a potential long time LT starter = B

Pats get a rotational D lineman and a backup TE = B-

Thought the same thing.  1 of their 4 picks was on our roster most of the year.

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can give the Bills management an “F” for not addressing the position but you can’t say that the draft is an “F.” Your team isn’t only comprised of a QB. The Bills got a Pro Bowl CB, a franchise LT, a starting LB and another 1st. 

Sorry you don't agree with my opinion. I expected many not to actually, but it's mine and how I feel.

I will take a franchise QB 1000 times over your pro-bowl CB and unknown 1st rd draft pick anytime.