Baker Mayfield Should Be the #1 Overall Pick says Sam Monson of PFF

26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, Negan said:

It was a no brainer to draft Watson last year, and selecting Mayfield early is another no brainer decision

Yes last year I was totally on board with Mahomes or Watson and I was super upset that we did not draft one of them and traded are 1st round pick. If we did that to get draft capital for the 2018 draft then we better step up to the plate and a Baker mayfield or it was a total waste of trading away that 1st round pick in 2017. 

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From what we have seen on the field, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield is the best quarterback in this draft class, and it isn’t particularly close to the second guy.

Mayfield owns the best two single-season PFF grades we have seen in four years of college grading and three of the top six seasons.

Are you on board with the bills drafting Baker Mayfield since you started this post, are you just giving info from something you read on the internet and providing a link. So where do you stand with this QB class 

6 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Yes last year I was totally on board with Mahomes or Watson and I was super upset that we did not draft one of them and traded are 1st round pick. If we did that to get draft capital for the 2018 draft then we better step up to the plate and a Baker mayfield or it was a total waste of trading away that 1st round pick in 2017. 

Are you on board with the bills drafting Baker Mayfield since you started this post, are you just giving info from something you read on the internet and providing a link. So where do you stand with this QB class 

Mayfield would be a good option to pursue IMO, but they would have to make a deal to get him because he will not be available if the Bills stand pat at 21 and 22.   I don't believe they'll have a shot at Darnold or Rosen. 

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

He was the best QB in college this year.  The best QB in the draft is obviously something entirely different and completely subjective.  

It's not entirely different. Some years college's best player is the best pro.

But yeah, it's hard to predict, especially at QB.

Mayfield was the best QB in college. PFF be damned. Pretty much everyone thinks so. It's how he'll transition to the NFL that is the question. And there's a very decent argument that he might turn out to be the best in this draft. Or not. But it's not a stupid opinion either way.

27 minutes ago, Negan said:

It was a no brainer to draft Watson last year, and selecting Mayfield early is another no brainer decision

If it was such a no-brainer how come he lasted till 12?

It was a calculated risk same as nearly all of them are.

4 hours ago, simool said:

Drew Brees had it when he was at Purdue...  Maturity. Class. Baker Mayfield does not. I could give two craps about his obvious talent. It's going to be wasted because he is a jack ass. I can pretty much guarantee we will not be drafting him based off what McBeane has done in their first season.  Cousins would be in play before Mayfield just based on how he lives his life.  I am fairly certain we will not sign Cousins either based off what McBeane has done in their first season...

Barring some crazy trade up for Rosen, Darnold, or Allen; we should probably prepare ourselves for someone like Lamar Jackson or Mike White.

I don't think you can guarantee squat off what we know.

Yeah, McBeane values character. But there's a very legitimate argument that Mayfield has it in the important areas, that character isn't really a problem for him.

Of course, there's an argument the other way, too. But again, both are legit.No, he's not a choirboy and no he's not classy, but you can be a character-filled person without being either, really. I don't think we've seen enough from McDermott or Beane yet to know exactly how they feel about this kid. He's divisive. It's not like he's JaMarcus Russell.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If it was such a no-brainer how come he lasted till 12?

It was a calculated risk same as nearly all of them are.

He meant "hindsight no-brainer".  That's always been the case with the draft.  There are definitely no guarantees as far as who will be a worthy draft pick.

I like Mayfield a lot(more than all other QB prospects in this draft) and wish the Bills could get him, but I don't see them giving up what it is going to take to move from the low 20's into possibly the top 3. Now if Mayfield slips to around 10, I think the trade up price is a lot more reasonable.

I get that he doesn't have ideal height and grabbed his crotch, but why are people so scared of insanely good production, the necessary tools, and leadership?

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mayfield would be a good option to pursue IMO, but they would have to make a deal to get him because he will not be available if the Bills stand pat at 21 and 22.   I don't believe they'll have a shot at Darnold or Rosen. 

"Hello, would you please put me through to Mr. Reich? Thank you."

Starting offer: #21, #22, & Glenn

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get that he doesn't have ideal height and grabbed his crotch, but why are people so scared of insanely good production, the necessary tools, and leadership?

"Hello, would you please put me through to Mr. Reich? Thank you."

Starting offer: #21, #22, & Glenn

Mr. Ballard perhaps.

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Corner Blitz cut to the chase and take a stand I want baker mayfield if I can't get him I want Allen. Take a stand and tell us the guy you want 1st and 2nd on your QB list 

18 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

6 feet tall is a problem

And PFF are the ones who rated Tyrod Taylor one below Aaron Rodgers.

It's more like 5'11" but it's only a problem if it's a problem, if you know what I mean.

His height might be a real problem for one guy but not a problem for another.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It's more like 5'11" but it's only a problem if it's a problem, if you know what I mean.

His height might be a real problem for one guy but not a problem for another.

he was measured over 6 feet at the senior bowl for what its worth

• Like (+1) 1

His ceiling is Russell Wilson his floor is Johnny Manziel. Russell appears to be a little more athletic and was underrated coming out of college not a bad comparison. Height wise very similar to Wilson and makes allot of plays outside of the pocket like Wilson. Before the combine I don't like to pick draft spots always some guy that shoots up the board after because of how well he does (Deshaun Watson).

19 hours ago, DallasMac said:

As is your statement that he is by far the most composed Qb in the draft.  

Maybe he missed the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's not short. And....so what?  How many were as successful as Mayfield in college?

Many that played in the Big 12 were very successful and some of them didn't have a great O-line But I believe he is much closer to Manziel in maturity than to Brees and Wilson at the same age. No it's not the boy scouts but it doesn't help to have a knucklehead be the face of the franchise. We need a franchise QB but will he be able to handle everything that goes along with the NFL ? I wouldn't mind having him but  to mortgage 21 & 22. .....not so sure

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From what we have seen on the field, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield is the best quarterback in this draft class, and it isn’t particularly close to the second guy.

Mayfield owns the best two single-season PFF grades we have seen in four years of college grading and three of the top six seasons.

What I love about this, Mason Rudolph's 2016 is a percentage point less than Mayfield....YET, Rudolph got better in 2017 in terms of production, by a wide margin in yards, TDs, and accuracy (completion percentage in terms of statistically significant as he improved from 63% to 65%), and he gets dumped on by all kinds of people....it's like, pick a lane folks....you can't be this good by various metrics, win the Johnny Unitas award by beating Mayfield in that award category, and still be incapable of being a good NFL QB, at least based on projections and that's all we have right now. 

So kudos to Mayfield, although I'm not sold on him and I know I'm in the minority, but all of the criticism for Rudolph is unwarranted and exaggerated IMHO. Rudy is going to be a good to great QB in the NFL.

Bucky Brooks jumps in with the book on Mayfield with regard to what he's hearing from scouts, sees on film, an NFL comparison, and where he might be drafted.

Book on Baker Mayfield: Giants, Jets fit one of draft's top QBs

Editor's note: NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks reveals "the book on" some of the 2018 NFL Draft's most highly coveted prospects. In the first installment of the series, we look at Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield is one of the crown jewels of the 2018 quarterback class after a spectacular career at Oklahoma that saw him post video-game-like numbers at the position. Mayfield threw for 12,292 yards in three seasons at OU while posting a gaudy 119:21 touchdown-to-interception ratio and 69.8 percent completion rate that suggests he's an efficient playmaker at the position.

Not to mention, he led the Sooners to two appearances in the College Football Playoff and racked up some notable wins against established programs around the country.
With Mayfield playing a key role in his team's success as the driver of the offense, he should be in line to be the top pick of the 2018 draft ... right?

In most instances, that would be the case, but it's still hard for some scouts to accept a 6-foot quarterback as an elite prospect, despite the success of Russell Wilson (5-11) and Drew Brees (6-0). Skeptics also wonder if Mayfield's success is a byproduct of playing in an Air Raid system that's produced a number of statistical wonder boys but only a few legitimate NFL QBs. With character concerns also clouding his evaluation, Mayfield is certainly not a lock to be the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft.

After taking some time to assess his game and solicit opinions from my scouting colleagues in the business, here's The Book on Baker Mayfield.