Baker Mayfield Should Be the #1 Overall Pick says Sam Monson of PFF

26CornerBlitz

Idk who Buffalo will rate as there top Qb.  This is one of most skilled crop of Qbs in a very long time.  IMO its the best class since 2004.  You cannot find a scout who will say that if Mayfield was 3 inches taller he would be hands down the best prospect.  He is a good prospect but Rosen, Darnold, and Allen are just as good maybe more upside when projecting to the NFL.  Buffalo needs to figure which one they want and find a way to get them.  If that happens I think everyone would be on board regaurdless of opionion on the prospect.  Rarely does a draft come along with this kind of crop and the draft picks to move to land one.    

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Idk who Buffalo will rate as there top Qb.  This is one of most skilled crop of Qbs in a very long time.  IMO its the best class since 2004.  You cannot find a scout who will say that if Mayfield was 3 inches taller he would be hands down the best prospect.  He is a good prospect but Rosen, Darnold, and Allen are just as good maybe more upside when projecting to the NFL.  Buffalo needs to figure which one they want and find a way to get them.  If that happens I think everyone would be on board regaurdless of opionion on the prospect.  Rarely does a draft come along with this kind of crop and the draft picks to move to land one.    

Definitely.  Id be happy to get one of the 4 and see what happens.  I'm all for taking the chance with one of these guys.

3 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

6 feet tall is a problem

And PFF are the ones who rated Tyrod Taylor one below Aaron Rodgers.

6' 3/8" is really a problem?

The guy just seems to have "IT..." can't teach that.

And before anyone brings up Johnny Football... Baker's off field problems seem to be of an immature overly visceral and competitive nature. Very different from Johnny Drinks a Lot

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From what we have seen on the field, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield is the best quarterback in this draft class, and it isn’t particularly close to the second guy.

Mayfield owns the best two single-season PFF grades we have seen in four years of college grading and three of the top six seasons.

Couldn't agree more , we need to trade up ahead of Denver. He will Love it here and we love him too ... Visions of Superbowls dancing in my head   :wub:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And the NFL is littered with the bodies of big prototypical garbage QB's too.  Means nothing.  

Yes, when a majority of qbs in the nfl are 6ft2 or over there's obviously no correlation btw height and success.  Cmon.  I'm not saying I wouldn't take him but to say it means nothing is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

Yes, when a majority of qbs in the nfl are 6ft2 or over there's obviously no correlation btw height and success.  Cmon.  I'm not saying I wouldn't take him but to say it means nothing is ridiculous.

Point is, a QB is not going to fail JUST because he is 6-0 to 6-1.  If the QB is good, he will succeed at that height and its proven over and over again.

Are their advantages to being bigger, sure...but Baker Mayfield will either succeed or fail because of his ABILITY as a QB, not because he is just over an inch shorter than Aaron Rogers.  

Some of you talk about Baker like he is the new Mugsy Bogues. He is in no way so short that his height will be the downfall to any potential success.  He is tall enough to succeed, and his success or failure will be specifically on his talent not his height.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ALF said:

Baker would be perfect to learn behind Brees how to compensate for height in NFL.

Drew Brees is the epitome of a hard working, professional ahlete who has spent countless hours working to perfect his craft. The time he puts in on footwork and his throwing motion has been reported before and he does it today the same as he did 10 years ago. I think he's going to end up coaching when his career is all said and done. 

• Like (+1) 1

Drew Brees had it when he was at Purdue...  Maturity. Class. Baker Mayfield does not. I could give two craps about his obvious talent. It's going to be wasted because he is a jack ass. I can pretty much guarantee we will not be drafting him based off what McBeane has done in their first season.  Cousins would be in play before Mayfield just based on how he lives his life.  I am fairly certain we will not sign Cousins either based off what McBeane has done in their first season...

Barring some crazy trade up for Rosen, Darnold, or Allen; we should probably prepare ourselves for someone like Lamar Jackson or Mike White.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, simool said:

Drew Brees had it when he was at Purdue...  Maturity. Class. Baker Mayfield does not. I could give two craps about his obvious talent. It's going to be wasted because he is a jack ass. I can pretty much guarantee we will not be drafting him based off what McBeane has done in their first season.  Cousins would be in play before Mayfield just based on how he lives his life.  I am fairly certain we will not sign Cousins either based off what McBeane has done in their first season...

Barring some crazy trade up for Rosen, Darnold, or Allen; we should probably prepare ourselves for someone like Lamar Jackson or Mike White.

I don't think he's a risk like Johnny football, but he's definitely a hothead and has a bit of personality concern.

I personally think he will be fine in the NFL with the right team/coach situation.

If he ends up in Cleveland he will prob go insane and flame out.

I do agree with you that he doesn't seem to fit the MCD character profile, although, ironically, I think a guy like MCD would be the best thing for him.

50 minutes ago, simool said:

I disagree completely.  #1 Allen sucks monkey balls. Scouts just look at his physical attributes and prorate him because of it but hes the next Paxton lynch or Hackenburg at worst.

Mayfield is a jackass bc he grabbed his crotch during a game? Cmon dude what kind of square where you in college? I give my tv a big ass DX crotch chop everytime i comeback  and win with a last second touchdown. Immature yes but it shows passion for the game.

Strong football teams have dogs. Dogs fight, we posture, we bark, were aggressive. This Bills team doesnt have enough dogs on it. Would love to have someone on the team with the fire, the fight, the spirit, the will to win. Baker has those immesuarables in spades. His height might come up short when compared to others... (lol) but the talent and desire to win trump the physical flaws the league sees with him. He goes through progressions the most, has the best accuracy, has the clutch trait , and is good outside of the pocket throwing on the run.

This is the NFL. Not boy scouts.

28 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't think he's a risk like Johnny football, but he's definitely a hothead and has a bit of personality concern.

I personally think he will be fine in the NFL with the right team/coach situation.

If he ends up in Cleveland he will prob go insane and flame out.

I do agree with you that he doesn't seem to fit the MCD character profile, although, ironically, I think a guy like MCD would be the best thing for him.

You nailed it breh. It really depends what team he goes to. You can say that about a lot of QBs but if he goes to Cleveland they dont have the coaching and enough veterans on the team to school the new kid and clean up the jagged edges of raw talent.

• Like (+1) 3

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 hours ago, DallasMac said:

As is your statement that he is by far the most composed Qb in the draft.  

If this is what you think I seriously have to question whether you have actually seen him play, because Mayfield's ability to stand in the pocket and deliver a the ball accurately when the pocket is breaking down around him is one of his greatest strengths.  He has done it better in college than any other QB is this draft and it's really not debatable.  

3 hours ago, simool said:

You may be correct we wont be drafted because McBeane doesnt like his attitude but to say his talent will be wasted because is foolish.  And to say you "dont give two craps about talent" is even worse.  If I wanted to find class and sophistication id hire a butler.  Mayfield doesnt just like to win, he hates to lose and that should trump every other flag that comes up.  Your evaluation is misguided and wayyyyy off base.