Baker Mayfield Should Be the #1 Overall Pick says Sam Monson of PFF

26CornerBlitz

With the class of QBs this year Cleveland would be fools to take a QB #1. They can have the best player on their board and still get one of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen. Unless they absolutely fall in love with one of the QBs or one is overall #1 in their board that's exactly what I believe they will do.

6 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

With the class of QBs this year Cleveland would be fools to take a QB #1. They can have the best player on their board and still get one of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen. Unless they absolutely fall in love with one of the QBs or one is overall #1 in their board that's exactly what I believe they will do.

With the class of Qbs get the best one at 1.  Other Qbs get picked at 2 and 3. They get the best Qb and best player.

Edited by Mat68

Just now, Mat68 said:

With the class of Qbs get the best one at 1.  Other Qbs get picked at 2 and 3. They the best Qb and best player.

Ok. So who is the "best"? If they have, say Mayfield rated #1 what's the difference in their grade for the other 3? If they have all 4 with similar grades and are content that they one will 100% be there it's a good move.

I do agree, however if they have one that is graded head and shoulders above the rest...take em 1st. I just don't see there being a huge drop from 1-4.

23 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

That's your opinion but I disagree.  If he was 3 to 4 inches taller obviously this would be a different discussion.

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

His height is a concern.  He just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket to me and seems to hold onto the ball too long bc of it.  It looks a lot like how Tyrod looks in the pocket.  That's my opinion at least.  I think there is definitely potential there but that's a big concern.

he's 6"1".  Stop worrying.  It's a meaningless concern.

Ive been on the Baker train since before it was cool.  Earlier in the season he was my pick for the Bills and got flamed he wouldnt go before the 2nd round at best.  The kid can ball, and I think the height is being over exaggerated.  He is taller than two of the top 4 QB's in football which is Brees and Wilson.  Not much shorter than Rogers either by a little over an inch.  

Sure, ideally you like to see this same QB prospect be 6'3 or taller, and if he was he would be the unquestioned #1 pick in this draft IMO.  No one knows what will or wont happen for any of these guys in the NFL, but I think he is a seriously legit prospect, height issue and all.

I also think of the big 4, he has the most potential to slide to us.  Here are some plausible ways he slides to us at 21 or at least close enough where a trade up is affordable.  

1. Smith going to Washington now means Cousins unquestionably signs with a QB needy team, taking one more off the table.  Best case for Bills (assuming they dont sign Cousins which would make this all not matter anyway) is for either the Jets, AZ or Broncos to land Cousins.  
  2. If Cleveland really does prefer Allen as their QB and takes him either #1 or at #4 (if not, then I think he slides more than Baker ever would).
  3. Lamar Jackson has a strong combine/workouts.  

If those first two things happen, all of a sudden its not crazy to see Baker slide.  Add in Lamar showing well, and I think Lamar can leap frog easily into the top 3 or 4 QBs taken in the draft where that would make Mayfield the likely odd man out as Darnold, Rosen, and Allen would have gone then Lamar.  

Look at the order ahead of us...striked out the ones definitely not taking a QB (could also trade the pick away though for someone who is).

1. Cle
  2. NYG
  3. Indy
  4. Cle
  5. Den
  6. Jets
  7. TB
  8. Chi
  9. SF
  10. Oak
  11. Mia
  12. Cincy
  13. Wash
  14. GB
  15. AZ
  16. Balt
  17. LAC
  18. Sea
  19. Dal
  20. Det

Teams almost certainly taking a QB first round are Cleveland, Jets, Denver, Arizona.  And if Bills don't sign Cousins, odds are high one of those 3 do.  So lets assume one of them is out of the QB market right off the bat.  

All talk is about Cleveland wanting Allen, so lets assume they take him at either #1 or #4.  That leaves Rosen and Darnold available for either the Jets or Denver (or both if Cousins signs with AZ).   

Now Arians said he loves Lamar and thinks he is special.  So quite possible other teams may feel the same, or more importantly, the Cardinals share the same sentiment based on Arians love for him.  He could be someone that could easily go to AZ as well or even higher if he really impresses this offseason.  

All of a sudden, you got Allen going to Cle with the Jets, Broncos, and Cardinals combining to likely take some combo of Rosen, Cousins, and Darnold and Lamar potentially being in play too.  

That only leaves some future planning teams such as Wash and LAC looking to grab a guy for the future, or possibly Mia looking to add a QB before we pick. Even if Lamar doesn't go to AZ or someone else up there, that still leaves Mayfield there to potentially fall to us or fall low enough for us to grab in a cheaper trade up.  If Lamar goes, then that means both a combo of Baker and one of Darnold or Rosen could have also slipped, making Baker even more likely to fall to us.  

A couple weeks ago I wasn't sure there was a scenario with could affordably get Baker, but after the Smith trade shook a few things up, I think it is once again plausible.  Not to mention, there are still FA QB's that could remove a buyer or two.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

he's 6"1".  Stop worrying.  It's a meaningless concern.

He's not 6"1.  He's not even 6 and a half.  I'm not worried about anything. Im just saying that in my opinion I've seen evidence where he has issues with sitting in the pocket.  Is it height related or is it just a lack of pocket presence?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DallasMac said:

He's not 6"1.  He's not even 6 and a half.  I'm not worried about anything. Im just saying that in my opinion I've seen evidence where he has issues with sitting in the pocket.  Is it height related or is it just a lack of pocket presence?  

Still taller than Wilson and Brees.  And just a little over an inch shorter than Rogers.  So his height isn't necessarily damming of his future.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Who cares?  Ask Russell Wilson.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Here's the thing - Baker Mayfield is not Super Bowl winning QB, Russell Wilson.  In fact, he's a far cry from it.

Here's the other thing....neither was Wilson before he won  it.

People said the same thing about Wilson coming out of college.  They ignored ALL of his obvious skills which were evident for YEARS in college and concluded....he's too short.

Mind boggling but true.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Here's the other thing....neither was Wilson before he won  it.

People said the same thing about Wilson coming out of college.  They ignored ALL of his obvious skills which were evident for YEARS in college and concluded....he's too short.

Mind boggling but true.

For every Russel Wilson there are numerous short qbs that aren't successful that were in college.

43 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Ok. So who is the "best"? If they have, say Mayfield rated #1 what's the difference in their grade for the other 3? If they have all 4 with similar grades and are content that they one will 100% be there it's a good move.

I do agree, however if they have one that is graded head and shoulders above the rest...take em 1st. I just don't see there being a huge drop from 1-4.

Why risk it or at best looked inept.  They pick a rb or db #1 and the 3rd Qb at 4 they look like they couldnt make up there mind and were scared to pick the wrong guy.  Whoever, is rated higher and fits you future the best you draft them.  Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfiled, Jackson.  Idc whoever you think in 10 years is the best qb you take them 1.  Fitzpatrick, Chubb, or Barkley maybe all three are there at 4.