CB Vontae Davis Has Been Medically Cleared

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, he's never completed a 16-game season.

He missed only 1 game as a rookie, then missed his entire 2nd season, missed 5 games and parts of 2 others in his 3rd year, and then missed 5 games and parts of 3 others with Buffalo.

To me, that's a major concern.

Kirby is right that the secondary was downright excellent with him in the lineup, and if all things were equal, I'd like him back.  I just worry about the value for a guy that will probably want $10M AAV.

...absolutely agree and no way he gets that type of deal in Bflo.....look at the value finds of Hyde and Poyer who far exceeded their pay with effort and contribution...SPECIAL thanks to FORMER Pack GM Thompson for letting Hyde walk......

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...absolutely agree and no way he gets that type of deal in Bflo.....look at the value finds of Hyde and Poyer who far exceeded their pay with effort and contribution...SPECIAL thanks to FORMER Pack GM Thompson for letting Hyde walk......

Yep 100%. There's no percentage in a team like us paying top dollar for non-QB positions right now, they need to keep focusing on finding value deals in FA. Teams like the Pats can afford to pay for a Gilmore because he's going to put them over the top (or at least that was the idea), we need to continue to build patiently and high priced acquisitions (again, outside QB imo) don't fit the picture. 

I may be in the minority, but I think Gaines gets no where near 9-10 million sportrac values him at. I'd be surprised to see it because of the injury concerns.

I bet the Bills could get him for half that with a 3-4 year deal and 40% guaranteed. 

Further, I've done some sims on this scenario and you can get him most of the time for alot less than 9 million.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, he's never completed a 16-game season.

He missed only 1 game as a rookie, then missed his entire 2nd season, missed 5 games and parts of 2 others in his 3rd year, and then missed 5 games and parts of 3 others with Buffalo.

To me, that's a major concern.

Kirby is right that the secondary was downright excellent with him in the lineup, and if all things were equal, I'd like him back.  I just worry about the value for a guy that will probably want $10M AAV.

25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How far will Beane be willing to go with McDermott's saying the best ability is availability?  They simply can't count on him given the history. 

I don’t know what their number is. I do know that Gaines is the guy that put the Watkins deal over the top for them. It was like Mathews as a throw in to get a pick. Gaines was a guy that they planned to go after this offseason. Now, that may have changed with his injuries but I’d have to think that he may be a guy that they are willing to overspend (some) on. 

34 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I think if they go the UFA route, Rashaan Melvin from Indy would be a guy that makes a lot of sense.

He's one of those under-the-radar types (at least as far as media outlets go), but he's got the size they like (6'2"), he's very good in zone, and he's an excellent tackler.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I think if they go the UFA route, Rashaan Melvin from Indy would be a guy that makes a lot of sense.

He's one of those under-the-radar types (at least as far as media outlets go), but he's got the size they like (6'2"), he's very good in zone, and he's an excellent tackler.

...thanks for your input.....hope that Frank agrees.....

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I personally wouldn't think he can command that... but with the lack of solid Corners in the league their pay day just keeps going up 

i would love love to have him on a 4 year 30 million dollar deal 

Gaines is very good. Unfortunately he plays so hard he usually takes himself out of games...

hopefully He takes a team friendly deal because he has a bright future if he stays

I don't know what "plays so hard is" for this guy.

But I seen him come up and make routine tackles and come up hurt.  He may not be Mr Glass....but I bet he lives on a beach.

38 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I don't know what "plays so hard is" for this guy.

But I seen him come up and make routine tackles and come up hurt.  He may not be Mr Glass....but I bet he lives on a beach.

He tries laying the wood too much and that makes him vulnerable to injuries 

hes been that way for years. Over aggressive 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does he think he's Leonard Johnson? 

I don't know if he can lay the wood like that but few corners hit like him

Johnson isn't the best cover man but he is definitely physical and that messes with some WRs heads

Gaines is aggressive in his drop, with his eyes and playing the ball, reckless controlled abandon, but his body hasn't been able to keep up

I would be pleased if they kept Gaines. And Leonard.
 but not try to lock EJ up. Should let him test the market. ( based upon his injury tendency and i am hardly one to evaluate what OBD sees as risk )

what does Vontae want/expect for pay ?