Scout on Rudolph

CuddyDark

32 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, I agree with that. Rivers is also a much more precise thrower than Rudolph is (not even a knock against Rudolph really...Prime Rivers was an incredible precision passer). If you can place the ball where you want to, you can survive with the extra air time. Rudolph isn't as inaccurate as Josh Allen for example, but he does leave a lot of his deep balls short and he doesn't seem to take the short passes seriously enough; watching his film, you'll see him not even try to get his feet set a lot on the shorter throws. I definitely think he has the potential to improve his accuracy in the NFL, but we'll see.

I'm personally not comfortable taking a guy in the 1st round if he has, IMO, below average arm strength and average ball placement. If he slips to like the 3rd round, I'd be fine with it. 2nd is still a little high for my liking personally, but I'm lower on him than most.

To me, Rudolph appears to have good accuracy when he is able to step into his throws (like most quarterbacks). He struggles more when he is off platform or falling back because he does not have the big arm to compensate and some of his throws end up coming up short. Because teams are desperate for quarterbacks and there appears to be so many qb needy teams this year or teams looking toward the future (NE, BAL, CIN, SD, NYG etc.), quarterbacks will be going much earlier than they should. I don't see Rudolph lasting past the 2nd round and if I had to bet he will likely end up in the first. My guess is that he will interview exceptionally well and there will be some teams (maybe the Bills) that move on him earlier than his pure talent would suggest. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

To me, Rudolph appears to have good accuracy when he is able to step into his throws (like most quarterbacks). He struggles more when he is off platform or falling back because he does not have the big arm to compensate and some of his throws end up coming up short. Because teams are desperate for quarterbacks and there appears to be so many qb needy teams this year or teams looking toward the future (NE, BAL, CIN, SD, NYG etc.), quarterbacks will be going much earlier than they should. I don't see Rudolph lasting past the 2nd round and if I had to bet he will likely end up in the first. My guess is that he will interview exceptionally well and there will be some teams (maybe the Bills) that move on him earlier than his pure talent would suggest. 

Yeah, I think the ability to step into his throws is really big for him too. I'm really interested to see where he ends up. It only takes one team to like him enough to take him at the end of the 1st or in the 2nd round; it wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being the case.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Throwing the ball far is only one part of arm strength. He's incapable of making deep throws on a rope; he can only make them putting a ton of air under it. He was a proficient deep ball thrower in college, but how much of this was having 2 or 3 WRs that are extremely talented at outjumping their man/the scheme allowing his WRs to slip in behind the defense? In the NFL, a lot of the deep balls he throws will give the safety enough time to come over and make a play on the ball.

If you watch his throws to the sidelines, they hang in the air the same way Peterman's did this year in the NFL. It's going to be very difficult for him to throw a deep out in the NFL. If he succeeds, it'll likely be from attacking the middle of the field in the short-intermediate range IMO; I don't think the rest of his game will translate very well.

I respect your opinion, but we're just viewing the video differently. I've watched loads of throws he's made - deep throws, deep out throws, over the middle, far hash to sideline throws, and all of them are NFL "good enough". No one is confusing his arm strength with Josh Allen, but even among the elite, Josh's is elite....but Rudy's arm strength is NFL quality. The Combine will show that. He's not going to set the world on fire, but it will get the job done. 

As for receivers making him look good, to me that's an overplayed narrative. Yes, they do a fantastic job and they certainly get tons of YAC, and they also compete for jump balls. But to attribute the majority of his success to that, is again ignoring what my eyes tell me. I see ball placement in terrific spots, I see receivers able to get YAC because he places the ball that leads the receivers, I see balls dropped in the basket for the receiver to catch, and I see plenty of throws in tight coverage that are on the money, especially in the Red Zone. 

Now, where I tend to detract from his game are his fumbles and holding the ball the way he does when he starts to get pushed and moving outside the pocket. But watch enough of his video and we can see him stand in the pocket and take hit AND deliver the ball. He is the quintessential pocket passing QB, mobile enough to move around, but not fast and certainly not going to use him in bootlegs that often. So, instead of going back and forth, I think this is the part where we agree to disagree and believe that our eyes are telling us both something very different. 

• Like (+1) 1

I said it back in Sept. Watch Rudolph's games then watch Bryce Petty in college. They might be the same person. Makes me nervous. Rudolph did have slightly better stats, more experience, improved each year, and is 1 inch taller. But when I watch them play I can't get that comparison out of my head.

It's a really tough call. If he had played in the senior bowl it would have answered a lot of questions about him. We needed to see him under center and reading defenses in a pro style offense. It's tough because he just looks like a QB so it gets me excited. He looks like Dan Marino at times. But then you watch Bryce Petty and you are like oh poo it's the same bs offense with 1 read and a lot of bombs to wide open receivers. Whoever is interested in him will really need to put him through his paces with a private workout

Buffalo's biggest problem re: the QB position and the draft over the last 20 years is, refusing to draft a QB when they having nothing and THEN holding onto a poor

QB too many years HOPING he will improve.

IF you take a guy and he doesn't work out, move on and draft another guy.

See Denver Broncos.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:02 AM, kdiggz said:

I said it back in Sept. Watch Rudolph's games then watch Bryce Petty in college. They might be the same person. Makes me nervous. Rudolph did have slightly better stats, more experience, improved each year, and is 1 inch taller. But when I watch them play I can't get that comparison out of my head.

It's a really tough call. If he had played in the senior bowl it would have answered a lot of questions about him. We needed to see him under center and reading defenses in a pro style offense. It's tough because he just looks like a QB so it gets me excited. He looks like Dan Marino at times. But then you watch Bryce Petty and you are like oh poo it's the same bs offense with 1 read and a lot of bombs to wide open receivers. Whoever is interested in him will really need to put him through his paces with a private workout

I see your point. But I’m also hoping we’ll have a staff that can coach to strengths. And I think Rudolph is better than Petty, and will need a lot of shotgun, especially to start.  I know that’s not necessarily “pro-style”, but look at how often Brady is in shotgun. And look at what McVay was doing for Goff, basically calling the plays AND audibles from the sidelines. 

Foles came from an air-raid. As did Keenum. Mahomes as well. 

Im just not as scared of the “spread” guys because it’s becoming more and more of a spread league. 

This is from an article by Jared Dublin of CBS sports (granted 2015 publishing date, but it’s still repevant):

“NFL coaches have also known this would happen for a good, long while. Bill Walsh, the Godfather of the West Coast Offense, wrote the following in his book, Finding the Winning Edge, about the future of NFL offenses:

• Teams will huddle only when the clock is stopped.
  • Teams will use single-world offensive audibles.
  • The quarterback will receive direction from the coach at the line of scrimmage. Because the ball can be put into play at any moment, the defense must commit itself with its front and coverage.
  • The quarterback will look to the sideline the instant the whistle blows on the previous play to see which personnel combination is entering the game. The designated coach indicates the formation to the quarterback and whether he should audible his own play or will receive a play call from the coach. All of these steps will occur without a huddle.
  • The quarterback will have even more latitude in audibling at the line of scrimmage. His decisions will override those by the coach signaling in a play call.

That sounds a whole lot like the spread, no-huddle offense run by, say, the Patriots, who famously use a one-word system for calling plays when they do go no-huddle that Belichick adopted from college offenses. That certainly makes it easier to communicate the calls, and it again gives Brady more time to read the defense at the line of scrimmage without having to blurt out a mouthful of a play call.”

On 2/13/2018 at 12:17 PM, Socal-805 said:

Buffalo's biggest problem re: the QB position and the draft over the last 20 years is, refusing to draft a QB when they having nothing and THEN holding onto a poor

QB too many years HOPING he will improve.

IF you take a guy and he doesn't work out, move on and draft another guy.

See Denver Broncos.

What about Broncos am i supposed to see?  They haven’t hit on a QB yet.  If anything they would be the get an elite defense and FA QB example right?  I get that they are drafting and moving on quickly but I’m not seeing that being successful at all yet. 

On 2/12/2018 at 7:59 PM, K-9 said:

Posted in the Mayock/WGR thread, but it bears reposting here:

I like Mayock for what he brings in his role as a media analyst, but that’s as far as it goes. He is not a scout and doesn’t possess a fraction of the insight on all these players as scouts and other personnel evaluators do. It’s just not his full time gig. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. From Sanchez over Stafford to Gabbert over Newton and the many players at positions in between over the years, his “evaluations” leave a lot to be desired. 

I beg to differ he's turned down GM jobs to stay with NFL network.  

23 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Rudolph is Trepasso's favorite QB in the draft. Chris has a pretty good rep for talent evaluation IMO. He was on WGR this morning.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/02-15-howard-and-jeremy-show-hr-4-feat-chris-trapasso

Does he? I know Reddit's NFL Draft sub-reddit has banned CBS links because of the fact that Trapasso is the lead guy there now lol

I know we like Trapasso since he came from Buffalo Rumblings but I don't think he's respected nearly as much outside of Bills fans.

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Does he? I know Reddit's NFL Draft sub-reddit has banned CBS links because of the fact that Trapasso is the lead guy there now lol

I know we like Trapasso since he came from Buffalo Rumblings but I don't think he's respected nearly as much outside of Bills fans.

As a Bills fan I find his opinions pretty odd. Also, based on his newest mock the Bills are staying put and passing on Rudolph (and QB in general) at 21 & 22. It's almost as if he put Rudolph first to start to generate clicks because it was different.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:23 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the BR article they cut to the bottom line:

"The issue with grading quarterbacks for the entire league (media) and not just one team is that flaws in a player's game might make him an awful fit for some teams and fine for others. If you want an athletic quarterback that can move, Rudolph isn't your guy. "

A lot of the real questions in QB evaluation aren't questions that the media in general can answer, and possibly not the "Scout" quoted anonymously either: What's his head like?  What kind of understanding does he have of pro-level defenses and how to read them? 

I don't see the 'weak arm' thing.  My concern is how often does he progress in his reads and throw into tight windows?  In the film clips I've seen, he does it, but you have to dig deep to find it.  Is that just because those throws may not be flashy "deep bomb" TD highlights, or is it because he doesn't do it enough?  Second concern is, I wasn't able to build a sense that he can feel pressure and adjust in the pocket.  I think that classic pocket passers who lack that sense get hurt in the NFL (eg Bradford)

That article is a terrible response imo, aren't you supposed to take the best player available and scheme around that players strengths, especially the QB? I mean Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott both come to mind right off the bat, Lamar jackson will be the same way. You scheme fit these QB's and put them in the best situation to succeed.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As a Bills fan I find his opinions pretty odd. Also, based on his newest mock the Bills are staying put and passing on Rudolph (and QB in general) at 21 & 22. It's almost as if he put Rudolph first to start to generate clicks because it was different.

But to be fair, in the article he specifically said he would slot Rudolph at 21 but just for the sake of "seeing what happens", he went off script to see how it altered the Draft, only to have Rudy going to Steelers and compared him to Big Ben, absent the arm strength. 

And he also addressed in the interview that he didn't put Rudy as QB1 just for "click bait", his words....but went on to explain why he had Rudy as the top QB, all with good reasons and addressed the fact that Rudy doesn't have the arm that Allen or Rosen have, but explained why he had Rudy as QB1....not that it matters, but it's the same thing I've been saying since December. 

• Like (+1) 1