Mayock on WGR

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

My argument, in this case, would be that Cousins is the significantly safer bet. Not that he is better, but that you have a sample size of 48 starts over the past 3 seasons. He has some plusses and some minuses, but ultimately he has been highly productive all 3 years and the production has not just been due to volume. Looking strictly at efficiency stats, he has a YPA of 7.80 over those 3 years (good for 5th among QBs with at least 450 attempts), he has a TD% of 4.80% (13th), he has a TD/TO ratio of 1.96, but that also comes with an average of 2 TDs per game played. Only 5 QBs in the league are responsible for more TDs per game than Cousins over the past 3 years. Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Newton, and Brees (Russ Wilson is tied).

Safer sure. He'll take you only so far based on what I have seen.  Cousins benefited greatly from having good systems/good coaching with McVay and Gruden.

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

how do you go from defending jimmy g to the death and these comments on cousins. makes zero sense. 

It makes no sense to you yet six of seven people who cover the NFL for a living agree with me and that includes former personnel men, former players including QBs, as well as journalists. 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i've watched both of them play. jags and rams game for jimmy. quite a few more for cousins. the difference between the 3rd best qb and the 10th is like splitting hairs. not too much different.  Just because i pointed out flaws in your jimmy g crusade doesn't mean you get all butthurt.  cousins is a sure top 10 qb in the league.  jimmy is a gamble. 

The only one who seems to be butt hurt is you and you chose to initiate with me, but can't even describe the attributes that make Cousins a better QB.  Okay. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Safer sure. He'll take you only so far based on what I have seen.  Cousins benefited greatly from having good systems/good coaching with McVay and Gruden.

I'll be interested to see how Jimmy looks after 41 more starts. He also has a great offensive mind behind him in Shanahan.

I will never be able to forget how Cousins completely shredded the Bills in 2015. I was 50 yard line 7th row. 4 Passing TDs and a Rushing TD :bag:.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It makes no sense to you yet six of seven people who cover the NFL for a living agree with me and that includes former personnel men, former players including QBs, as well as journalists. 

The only one who seems to be butt hurt is you and you chose to initiate with me, but can't even describe the attributes that make Cousins a better QB.  Okay. :lol:

fine what makes jimmy such a better qb than kirk?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll be interested to see how Jimmy looks after 41 more starts. He also has a great offensive mind behind him in Shanahan.

I will never be able to forget how Cousins completely shredded the Bills in 2015. I was 50 yard line 7th row. 4 Passing TDs and a Rushing TD :bag:.

Rex Ryan's 2015 D?  He wasn't the only one unfortunately. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

fine what makes jimmy such a better qb than kirk?

Better and quicker release, better feet, better under pressure, better and quicker decision maker, better outside the pocket, more accurate, better in the rhythm of an offense, better when a play breaks down and faster going through progressions. 

Better and quicker release, better feet, better under pressure, better and quicker decision maker, better outside the pocket, more accurate, better in the rhythm of an offense, better when a play breaks down and faster going through progressions. 

cool sounds like you took all the classic scouting words and typed them in there.  

Rex Ryans 2015 D?  He wasn't the only one unfortunately. 

There were really only 3 standout QB performances against us in 2015. Brady had like 460 & 3 with no picks; Cousins had ~310 4 TDs, 1 Rush TD, No picks; and Hoyer had ~290 3 TD & 1 pick. Next best after that was probably Alex Smith who had 255, 2 & 0.

29 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

U take Taylor off the bills this past season and insert cousins I think that's good for 3 more wins 

Me too. Carolina, Cincinnati, probably the first Patriots game too. Not to mention the Jags playoff game. With zero other changes to the team we would go from a fringe wildcard team to legitimate division contenders. Now add in our 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds plus a couple smart free agency signings, suddenly we are a Super Bowl contender just like that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

I don't care what it sounds like, it's exactly what I see.  Still waiting on you to tell me why Cousins is better based on how he plays. 

and cousins has a great release, great footwork, has 3 years of starting where he's made every throw, under pressure throws and even rolling out. He also has proven he can make those plays over the past 3 years where jimmy has not. he's played 4 bad teams and one team with a great defense. 

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Me too. Carolina, Cincinnati, probably the first Patriots game too. Not to mengiom the Jags playoff game. With zero other changes to the team we would go from a fringe wildcard team to legitimate division contenders. Now add in our 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds plus a couple smart free agency signings, suddenly we are a Super Bowl contender just like that.

Outside of Brady/Rodgers/Brees, no QB was scoring with the garbage that we fielded to catch passes against Cincy once Clay went down. It was so bad that they had to sign Deonte Thompson (a guy who was cut from the Bears, who didn't exactly have elite wr talent on the roster) off the street 2 days after the game.

In case people don't remember, here are the WRs:

Zay Jones - 1 Catch, 9 Yards, 6 Targets

Brandon Tate - 2 Catches, 25 Yards, 1 TD, 4 Targets

Andre Holmes - 0 Catches, 1 Target

Kaelin Clay - 0 Catches 1 Target

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

IIRC, they won the division that year with a 9-7 record.  Doesn't seem so tough to me. 

Again, Cousins is pretty good. For the money he'll command, I want great and he simply isn't IMO. 

Who do you want the Bills to get (Great QB), since you say he isn't great? Just curious. 

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

and cousins has a great release, great footwork, has 3 years of starting where he's made every throw, under pressure throws and even rolling out. He also has proven he can make those plays over the past 3 years where jimmy has not. he's played 4 bad teams and one team with a great defense. 

Cousins is a good QB within the structure of an offense, but not so much when a play breaks down. He sure as hell doesn't lift the talent around him. Funny how Kyle Shanahan chose Jimmy G when everyone was sure he'd just wait until Cousins hit UFA.  Nope, he had a chance to grab the better QB even though it required a 2nd round pick.  That should tell you quite a bit as Shanahan said himself. 

Neither QB is worth the kind of coin that Garrapolo got and ultimately what Cousins will get. Save your breath on all of your regurgitation's as to why they are.  You don't know jack crap.  Miss Cleo you ain't.

Cousins is a good QB within the structure of an offense, but not so much when a play breaks down. He sure as hell doesn't lift the talent around him. Funny how Kyle Shanahan chose Jimmy G when everyone was sure he'd just wait until Cousins hit UFA.  Nope, he had a chance to grab the better QB even though it required a 2nd round pick.  That should tell you quite a bit as Shanahan said himself. 

he had no idea back in nov that cousins would be a free agent. he needed a guy.  jimmy could turn out to be a great qb or he could bust out. it's not a slam dunk he's gonna be any good. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Outside of Brady/Rodgers/Brees, no QB was scoring with the garbage that we fielded to catch passes against Cincy once Clay went down.

Personally I think there were a few other plays to be made that Tyrod missed. And it was a close game. There's one play in particular where Tate broke open into the end zone and Tyrod didn't throw it. Or the missed TD to Logan Thomas. Those 2 plays are the difference between borderline top 20 and top 10. This is definitely very hypothetical, maybe there's a play Tyrod made that Cousins wouldn't have. But that's my take on it.

Just now, aristocrat said:

he had no idea back in nov that cousins would be a free agent. he needed a guy.  jimmy could turn out to be a great qb or he could bust out. it's not a slam dunk he's gonna be any good. 

Based on the traits he's exhibited thus far, it's doubtful that he'll bust unless there is an injury.   I think his production only increases as he becomes more familiar with the offense and they surround him with better talent. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Personally I think there were a few other plays to be made that Tyrod missed. And it was a close game. There's one play in particular where Tate broke open into the end zone and Tyrod didn't throw it. Or the missed TD to Logan Thomas. Those 2 plays are the difference between borderline top 20 and top 10. This is definitely very hypothetical, maybe there's a play Tyrod made that Cousins wouldn't have. But that's my take on it.

Look again at that WR group. You may have seen them and thought they were open, they may not have been where they were supposed to be. I'm not saying Tyrod has never missed a pass opportunity, of course, but there's absolutely no way a team trots that WR group out and expects a D to take them seriously.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Look again at that WR group. You may have seen them and thought they were open, they may not have been where they were supposed to be. I'm not saying Tyrod has never missed a pass opportunity, of course, but there's absolutely no way a team trots that WR group out and expects a D to take them seriously.

Kirk Cousins had arguably just as bad a receivers group this year, and a worse running game and even a worse offensive line IMO. He still finished with significantly better production and efficiency than Tyrod did. In a close game where one different play would have changed the outcome I feel confident that he would have won.