Mayock on WGR

At first glance Cousins for 30 millionish a year sounds crazy, but we will have to overpay. But even at 30 million, filling holes with draft picks may save us enough money to have a solid team. Is Cousins a top 10 QB? Probably not. Top 15? Definitley. Which means hes good enough to save us the picks, time, and money looking for the next franchise guy that may never come. Im all for it!

Put a legit starter on the team and draft well! Thats a win if you ask me.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

by whom?

He is going to Denver. Book it. I am sure Elway loves Josh Allen but one more miss on a giant QB who can't play and even the legendary Elway might feel his seat get a bit warmer.

He will go the safe route.... sign Cousins and the Broncos will go 8-8 next year.... and then win between 7 and 9 games the next 4 years too while paying Kirk $30m a year. Everyone's a winner. Except Denver. Obviously. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't love Cousins, but I do believe he's better than Keenum. 

So do I and in a big way.

Keenum is the product of Vikes OC Pat Shurmur who also elevated the play of Nick Foles in Philly. This was Keenum's best season and it helped that the Vikings also had the #7 rushing attack, #1 defense in both points, yards allowed. While I don't think he will fall on his face next season if he stays in Minnesota because of that run game, defense and standout receiving corps. The Vikings offense will be getting Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo for their new OC and we don't know if he will be as successful as Shurmur was with Keenum. 

Anyway, Keenum might just turn out to be a one year wonder. Like Fitz had in 2015.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is going to Denver. Book it. I am sure Elway loves Josh Allen but one more miss on a giant QB who can't play and even the legendary Elway might feel his seat get a bit warmer.

He will go the safe route.... sign Cousins and the Broncos will go 8-8 next year.... and then win between 7 and 9 games the next 4 years too while paying Kirk $30m a year. Everyone's a winner. Except Denver. Obviously. 

Yeah, I agree.

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

So do I and in a big way.

Keenum is the product of Vikes OC Pat Shurmur who also elevated the play of Nick Foles in Philly. This was Keenum's best season and it helped that the Vikings also had the #7 rushing attack, #1 defense in both points, yards allowed. While I don't think he will fall on his face next season if he stays in Minnesota because of that run game, defense and standout receiving corps. The Vikings offense will be getting Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo for their new OC and we don't know if he will be as successful as Shurmur was with Keenum. 

Anyway, Keenum might just turn out to be a one year wonder. Like Fitz had in 2015.

The guy who elevated Foles's (and Wentz's) play in Philly was......DeFillippo, the Vikes' new OC.

And as you point out, the Vikings have that top D (although they whiffed in the NFCC) and running game----so why then would they dump their much cheaper QB for a guy they don't know will fit their system or will have the success that Keenum had?

14 hours ago, jr1 said:

Kirk's interceptions kept the Redskins out of the playoffs 

And so it begins....

(I would have thought it was their #27 ranked D that kept them out of the playoffs myself.  7 games where they allowed the opponent >30 points)

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The guy who elevated Foles's (and Wentz's) play in Philly was......DeFillippo, the Vikes' new OC.

I think Nihilarian may have been talking about Foles 2013 in Philly, which was his "Wonderyear".  But I agree DeFillippo may be a good hire

And as you point out, the Vikings have that top D (although they whiffed in the NFCC) and running game----so why then would they dump their much cheaper QB for a guy they don't know will fit their system or will have the success that Keenum had?

How do you know Keenum will be "much cheaper"?  He's a FA QB who had a good year and went to the conference championship this year.  I'm sure he wants to get paid.

Watching Keenum and watching Foles, I don't think Keenum is that accurate.  He's been blessed with some really good WR who help him out a lot.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you know Keenum will be "much cheaper"?  He's a FA QB who had a good year and went to the conference championship this year.  I'm sure he wants to get paid.

What $$s Keenum gets is going to be fascinating. He is an even more difficult to peg deal than Jimmy G. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up in that Derek Carr like territory of $25m per year or thereabouts.  That would still be about $5m average less than Cousins though I reckon.  

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What they don't talk about is his stats.  The simple fact is that the best QBS are regularly at the top of the basic stats.  Yards, completion percentage, TD to INT ratio, etc.  They dont talk about his stats because he's regularly in the top 10, where all the good QBS are.  How'd he get in the top 10?  Is Jerry Rice on the Redskins playing under a pseudonym?

Exactly right Shaw. This is just like all the old Tyrod arguments, except this time the guy is without question a consistent top 10 QB. With Tyrod we had one good season to hang our hopes on. With Cousins we're talking about 3 consecutive seasons in the top 12 for passer rating.

I was curious to see how many QBs have had consistent production like that. So I used the Pro Football Reference season finder:

http://pfref.com/tiny/xtxY2

Cousins has had 3 consecutive seasons with a passer rating above 93.0. So I searched for any season after 1999 where a QB started at least 12 games and had a passer rating over 93.0. The table I linked shows the number of seasons each QB had that matched that criteria. I couldn't search by consecutive seasons but it does show the range of years where the QB achieved that passer rating.

There are only 17 QBs total since 2000 who have had 3 seasons like that. And that list is a who's who of QBs you want on your team. Probably the worst QB on the list is Carson Palmer. And it took him from 2005 to 2015 to get his 3 seasons. Cousins did it in 3 seasons consecutively.

Plus Cousins is only 29. When Brady was 29 he wasn't the GOAT yet, not even close. He hadn't even had ONE season where his passer rating was 93.0 or higher at that point in his career. Cousins already did that 3 times, consecutively, and has 10 more years to develop as a passer. Sign me up for that. I don't care what the cost is.

Edited by HappyDays

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Brees already won a SB by then, and his stats blew Cousins's away even in those years.  He was singlehandedly winning games with an awful defense.

Rivers is, like Cousins, a stat accumulator.  Legendary choker.  Another hard pass.

I don't know who Stanford is.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can we talk about Manock's speech impediment?

I don't know who Manock is?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And so it begins....

(I would have thought it was their #27 ranked D that kept them out of the playoffs myself.  7 games where they allowed the opponent >30 points)

I think Nihilarian may have been talking about Foles 2013 in Philly, which was his "Wonderyear".  But I agree DeFillippo may be a good hire

Watching Keenum and watching Foles, I don't think Keenum is that accurate.  He's been blessed with some really good WR who help him out a lot.

Keenum will be cheaper than Cousins because of the reservations many have about his "true" performance.

Why don't you think Keenum is accurate? Only Brees had a higher completion%. You can't fault Keenum for having "really good receivers".  So did Montana.  So does Big Ben.  And Ryan.    Almost every QB needs them.  The point is the Keenum would STILL have them in Minny.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I don't know who Manock is?

Oh yes you do....