Mayock on WGR

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

he would give us the best chance at winning next year. 

Right up McBeane's alley. Win now ( Cousins) and in the future. ( Not having to move up but use the 5 picks in the top 100 to get starters ) and most importantly since Cousins will eat up a lot of cap. Players on their rookie deals

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kirk Cousins had arguably just as bad a receivers group this year, and a worse running game and even a worse offensive line IMO. He still finished with significantly better production and efficiency than Tyrod did. In a close game where one different play would have changed the outcome I feel confident that he would have won.

Washington's WRs are better than those 4 from the Bengals game, but regardelss look at the production w/ and without Jordan Reed (their Charles Clay). The Redskins scored ~25.3 points per game when Jordan Reed played, and only 18.3 points per game when he didn't (we scored 16 against the Bengals). The run game is meaningless when there is no threat to catch the football. As soon as Clay left injured the defense only needed to cover McCoy. There was no other threat on the field.

The one thing I will say about the Cousins situation is that if you look back at the few times Carolina played Washington over the years, McDermott's defense pretty much shut him down. He had 315 passing yards on MNF a couple of years ago, but also had some bad turnovers. I can't imagine he was super impressed on the other side. 

Or perhaps they had to work hard to gameplan for him. McDermott's opinion on him is going to drive this situation.

Guys who ripped apart the Panthers over the years are guys like Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Eli. 

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Best in what way? Stats? Sorry I'm more interested in winning.

He has definitely proven his ability to lead a team to a 7/8 win season.  Cue the excuses for his lack of leadership and big game/big situation ability.

Rather have a rookie than a 29 year old uber expensive average to above average QB who has reached the peak of his abilities.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cousins is a good QB within the structure of an offense, but not so much when a play breaks down. He sure as hell doesn't lift the talent around him. Funny how Kyle Shanahan chose Jimmy G when everyone was sure he'd just wait until Cousins hit UFA.  Nope, he had a chance to grab the better QB even though it required a 2nd round pick.  That should tell you quite a bit as Shanahan said himself. 

Exactly.  Shanahan knows Cousins and rolled their dice with Jimmy.  Cousins is good, not great, and will not make the team better around him.  Whether he is better than Tyrod, or the other hot garbage we have been rolling out forever, is besides the point.  We need to do better than Cousins.

• Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Washington's WRs are better than those 4 from the Bengals game, but regardelss look at the production w/ and without Jordan Reed (their Charles Clay). The Redskins scored ~25.3 points per game when Jordan Reed played, and only 18.3 points per game when he didn't (we scored 16 against the Bengals). The run game is meaningless when there is no threat to catch the football. As soon as Clay left injured the defense only needed to cover McCoy. There was no other threat on the field.

That's very interesting about Jordan Reed. But the Redskins scored 27 passing TDs to our 16. Despite having a rush game that was 30th in YPA (ours was 14th). Cousins was able to be a productive passer in spite of a poor rushing game. Our rush YPA in the Bengals game was only 0.2 YPA lower than the Redskins total rush YPA for the whole year. Which indicates to me that Cousins could have been productive in that game even with our rush game being as bad as it was.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Outside of Brady/Rodgers/Brees, no QB was scoring with the garbage that we fielded to catch passes against Cincy once Clay went down. It was so bad that they had to sign Deonte Thompson (a guy who was cut from the Bears, who didn't exactly have elite wr talent on the roster) off the street 2 days after the game.

In case people don't remember, here are the WRs:

Zay Jones - 1 Catch, 9 Yards, 6 Targets

Brandon Tate - 2 Catches, 25 Yards, 1 TD, 4 Targets

Andre Holmes - 0 Catches, 1 Target

Kaelin Clay - 0 Catches 1 Target

Wow.

Lol i remember that week going into the game, i was like " yeah we could win....but who is Tyrod gonna throw it to?" 

Drop Zone Jones with the big boy stats lol

Edit: Our WR group is only propped up by Bills and Jets fans. Outside of that we are badddddd.

Edit: 

Edited by FearLess Price

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Kirk Cousins' last 3 seasons   http://www.nfl.com/player/kirkcousins/2532820/careerstats

Tyrod Taylor's last 3 seasons   http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/careerstats

Cousins is clearly the better QB and is mobile enough as well. He would be an upgrade over Tyrod, hence the best QB for us since Kelly. 

My point was that you set a low bar.

My other point is that Washington didn't have much success with Cousins. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The lack of success that Washington has had, as you describe it, doesn't mean that he was a primary reason for it. The OL was battered with injuries and their run game was less than mediocre. Cousin was very often under duress and still he played well. As with Buffalo his receiver corps was very mediocre. You may find many liabilities in his game but without question Cousins is the qb who will be most in demand in the market. When he is allowed to officially hit the market there will be plenty of teams competing for his service. 

I have argued not to sign him because of the contract it will take to sign him. But if he was signed the Bills would be a significantly better team and instantly be a more serious team. 

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Or perhaps because after they jerked him around for 2 seasons they realized he had no intention of signing a long term contract? But you know, go with your narrative. 

They didnt jerk him around, they didnt believe he was worth the money. They still don't. Neither do a lot of other people, FWIW

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh yes, because all of the other FA options are better than Kirk. We are not ransoming the farm to move up to get Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold. I just don't see it happening. I would rather have Cousins than Rudolph or Jackson as Cousins has already proven he can play pretty well in the NFL. If we could have a QB come in and put up those numbers imagine how the rest of the offense would look. I don't think that's setting the bar low at all my friend.

Washington is a team. Teams win as such and with solid coaching at every phase. Gruden hasn't really shown that much, the team lacks talent on both sides of the ball, and Kirk isn't a one man show. Some great QB's have been on some not so great teams at times over the years. 

1 hour ago, MDFan said:

He has definitely proven his ability to lead a team to a 7/8 win season.  Cue the excuses for his lack of leadership and big game/big situation ability.

Rather have a rookie than a 29 year old uber expensive average to above average QB who has reached the peak of his abilities.

Exactly.  Shanahan knows Cousins and rolled their dice with Jimmy.  Cousins is good, not great, and will not make the team better around him.  Whether he is better than Tyrod, or the other hot garbage we have been rolling out forever, is besides the point.  We need to do better than Cousins.

To the point I made earlier with regard to Cousins vs. Garoppolo.