Mayock on WGR

23 minutes ago, bdutton said:

If Cousins is so good, why did Washington spend a fortune to bring in FA Alex Smith?????

Because their owner had a serious case of man-love for RG3.  Shanahan preferred Cousins.  Shanahan got canned, Front Office reluctantly let go of RG3 after 3 years of showing he couldn't play, then low-balled Cousins after 4 years of openly rooting for RG3 to win the job.   Not many QB's would've performed as well as Cousins under those circumstances.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Thanks for posting this. The audio is up.

It was just a speculative comment IMO.

We dont have the $ to pay out 30 mill a year for QB

I like what he said about Baker. I hppe that doesnt stop McBeane from drafting him tho.

Yes it was a speculative comment, but it was informed speculation.  He knows Cousins understands how important the coach os, and he followed the Cousins comment immediately with his comment about how much he likes McBeane.  I think he thinks Buffalo is a more likely landing spot than many people do. 

26 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Part of me wonders if they don't like his personality or if there's something behind the scenes we don't know about. They could have had him for basically the same amount they're paying Smith (had they signed him 2 years ago). I asked some friends for their thoughts (since I live in the DC area) and they are all pissed at the FO and think they blew it. They want Cousins to win a SB against Washington (I'm sure that would actually change) because they hate the way he was treated here. I don't know, interesting situation.

You outlined the key point right there.  Had they signed him 2 years ago.  But they didn't.

There is bound to be all sorts of unfortunate speculation about what Washington knows that the rest of the league doesn't, but even drunk former GM Scot McCloughan says nothing but good things about Cousins: " he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building, he’s always watching tape, he’s always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. ..... He’s respected in the building, he’s a really good football player, he’s a leader, he’s a smart guy, he does everything right "

I think what's behind the scenes is that McCloughan mis-evaluated Cousins.  They took a chance on franchising him that he'd regress to what they saw as "his mean" and they could sign him after a year, but he didn't and they couldn't.

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes it was a speculative comment, but it was informed speculation.  He knows Cousins understands how important the coach os, and he followed the Cousins comment immediately with his comment about how much he likes McBeane.  I think he thinks Buffalo is a more likely landing spot than many people do. 

McCloughan also says this:
“I can promise you this,” McCloughan said. “He has done his homework, probably too much, about each roster, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his O-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run. I promise you he has notebook after notebook for each team. He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. I know that. Personally, knowing him, it’s not about the money. It’s about the right fit, where he knows he has stability, he has good coaches, he has good players and he has a chance to be successful. I don’t blame him. He’s put himself in that situation with what he’s done the last three years.”

3 minutes ago, yungmack said:

I'd love to land the best QB available. However that's not Cousins.

Oh, do tell, Guru, who is it?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

And I can't speak for everyone either, but I would really like to know from those who are against spending the money on Cousins, what opportunities they think signing Cousins would cause us to lose out on.

First and foremost it's how I feel about the Quarterback, how I feel about Kirk Cousins.  Some will argue he's a top 10 quarterback.  I can't say that they're wrong.  But I believe them to be wrong.  I personally would rather roll the dice on a rookie.  I understand the odds and the crapshoot nature of that strategy.  I understand there's no guarantee there's a rookie we love enough to move up and draft.  I just know how I feel about the Kirk Cousins the QB and I do not want to go that route.

With that being said, if they do sign Cousins, I'll quickly be on board and can appreciate the value of being able to fill holes with the draft picks.  It's just not my preference or first choice of how things could shake out. 

My $0.02 worth of nothing....Ok, Bills spend a fortune on Cousins, possibly have their QB for the next 5 years and use their draft picks to fill the roster for cheap (and hopefully get 4 starters w/ those top four picks). Or they give up their bushel of draft picks and move up to get the QB they want, thus possibly spending a fortune on FA to get the players they couldn't get in the draft. Or wait it out, hope the QB that falls to them at #21 / #22 pans out and still use the remaining draft picks to fill out the roster. This way saves money, but leaves future at QB still in limbo. 

Three scenarios, the first two they're spending the money, just in different ways. One may solve our QB problem for the next few years w/ a proven QB (although some don't see him as successful or worth the money), the second may get us a starting QB but he may be a year away from playing and nothing else via the draft. Third is a crap shoot, as we wait and see what falls to us, but we do get to keep our picks and still fill out our roster w relatively cheap talent. 

I don't think we have the $$ for Cousins, but I'd like to see them make a move for him. He said he's made his money and that won't be a determining factor on where he goes (sure, we can believe that :rolleyes:...but he may want to win and maybe he views us as a winner and breaking the bank won't be necessary for him). That way we'll still have our picks to get the team good talent w/o having to rely on high prices FA's to fill out the roster. We can hit the clearance bin for roster filler and maybe find another gem or two. 

5 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

First and foremost it's how I feel about the Quarterback, how I feel about Kirk Cousins.  Some will argue he's a top 10 quarterback.  I can't say that they're wrong.  But I believe them to be wrong.  I personally would rather roll the dice on a rookie.  I understand the odds and the crapshoot nature of that strategy.  I understand there's no guarantee there's a rookie we love enough to move up and draft.  I just know how I feel about the Kirk Cousins the QB and I do not want to go that route.

With that being said, if they do sign Cousins, I'll quickly be on board and can appreciate the value of being able to fill holes with the draft picks.  It's just not my preference or first choice of how things could shake out. 

JK, good post

4 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

My $0.02 worth of nothing....Ok, Bills spend a fortune on Cousins, possibly have their QB for the next 5 years and use their draft picks to fill the roster for cheap (and hopefully get 4 starters w/ those top four picks). Or they give up their bushel of draft picks and move up to get the QB they want, thus possibly spending a fortune on FA to get the players they couldn't get in the draft. Or wait it out, hope the QB that falls to them at #21 / #22 pans out and still use the remaining draft picks to fill out the roster. This way saves money, but leaves future at QB still in limbo. 

Three scenarios, the first two they're spending the money, just in different ways. One may solve our QB problem for the next few years w/ a proven QB (although some don't see him as successful or worth the money), the second may get us a starting QB but he may be a year away from playing and nothing else via the draft. Third is a crap shoot, as we wait and see what falls to us, but we do get to keep our picks and still fill out our roster w relatively cheap talent. 

I don't think we have the $$ for Cousins, but I'd like to see them make a move for him. He said he's made his money and that won't be a determining factor on where he goes (sure, we can believe that :rolleyes:...but he may want to win and maybe he views us as a winner and breaking the bank won't be necessary for him). That way we'll still have our picks to get the team good talent w/o having to rely on high prices FA's to fill out the roster. We can hit the clearance bin for roster filler and maybe find another gem or two. 

You're not the first person to say this. Why do you think this? Contracts can be structured a number of ways. The Bills can sign Cousins if they choose to

Edited by nucci

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you say that?

My comment outlines why i said it. I shouldve clarified that although we could  we might be handicapping cap we could spend on some help in other areas.

If we draft the right QB we get a franchise QB cheap for 5 years. And in those 5 years we can draft and sign a lot of talent to out around him

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills absolutely have the money. 

Look up. Then look down.

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Cousins has never won a playoff game. Even when Cousins had an top shelf WR and TE rpster he didnt get passed the WC round.

I understand why Bills fans wana sign cousins. Its an easy fix to a position that we havent really filled since JKelly retired.

I disagree tho, id rather we trade up and take our shot at one of the top 3 QBs this draft.

New regime, new OC, draft capital to move up,  its the perfect time, and we can use the cap space that would've went to Cousins, to instead bring in good solid vets at positions on the OL and  front 7 where it takes rookies a while to get good at. LBs can play well right off the bus but it taes a while for OL and DT in most cases.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

you will see the skins lose more games than they did last year. the skins didn't have a very good team around cousins. their d was not good and like you have seen with brees the past few years and rivers...bad teams lose. even those two who are by all accounts franchise guys couldn't win by themselves. all of a sudden the saints get some great defensive players in the draft and same for the chargers and they win more than they did before.

Brees is a different level.  And the "bad defense" that stopped him winning was not just below average like Washington's (28th in ypg and 19th in ppy in 2016; 21st ypg and 27th ppg in 2017) it was all time historically bad. The 2015 and 2016 New Orleans Saints defense is the worst 2 year defensive run in NFL history.  It's a fact... give Brees a defense better than 27th in the league and he makes the playoffs 100% of the time.  

The Rivers comparison is a better one.  But Rivers, until this season, had no running game, no defense and no healthy weapons.  The one thing that Cousins had plenty of in 2015 and 2016 was weapons.  Admittedly that disappeared in 2017 too and I actually think made his 2017 season more impressive.  A poor man's Philip Rivers is pretty much what I think Cousins is.  

23 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Who exactly is the best QB available?

In the draft.  I really think its gonna be Mayfield and Rosen at 1st. Maybe Darnold will catch up after a year.

In FA Cousins by default because hes top 15 and doesnt get hurt as much as bradford and has a longer track record of being good than Keenum and Bridgewater is Tyrod status talent rite now.

Foles isnt a FA but hes up there with Cousins, even more so because he showed clutch trait. Cousins has never showed us that.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think what's behind the scenes is that McCloughan mis-evaluated Cousins.  They took a chance on franchising him that he'd regress to what they saw as "his mean" and they could sign him after a year, but he didn't and they couldn't.

McCloughan also says this:
“I can promise you this,” McCloughan said. “He has done his homework, probably too much, about each roster, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his O-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run. I promise you he has notebook after notebook for each team. He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. I know that. Personally, knowing him, it’s not about the money. It’s about the right fit, where he knows he has stability, he has good coaches, he has good players and he has a chance to be successful. I don’t blame him. He’s put himself in that situation with what he’s done the last three years.”

Good post. Reading this makes Denver seem like the best spot for him.

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Most def breh.

As much I'd love to see Cousins here, there's NO chance in Hades that he will want to come to Buffalo.   The weather, a defensive minded coach, worst WR group in the league.   He'll be able to chose between Denver, Arizona, Jets, possibly Jacksonville....I'd bet he moves on to Arizona. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brees is a different level.  And the "bad defense" that stopped him winning was not just below average like Washington's (28th in ypg and 19th in ppy in 2016; 21st ypg and 27th ppg in 2017) it was all time historically bad. The 2015 and 2016 New Orleans Saints defense is the worst 2 year defensive run in NFL history.  It's a fact... give Brees a defense better than 27th in the league and he makes the playoffs 100% of the time.  

Except for the years he had a #25, #26 D and didn't make the playoffs....I take your overall point though. 

Brees is one of a short handful of QB in the league who can lift and carry a team, even shorter after Peyton Manning's decline and fall.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Rivers comparison is a better one.  But Rivers, until this season, had no running game, no defense and no healthy weapons.  The one thing that Cousins had plenty of in 2015 and 2016 was weapons.  Admittedly that disappeared in 2017 too and I actually think made his 2017 season more impressive.  A poor man's Philip Rivers is pretty much what I think Cousins is.  

I don't think the man is that poor with Cousins.  JMO.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except for the years he had a #25, #26 D and didn't make the playoffs....I take your overall point though. 

Brees is one of a short handful of QB in the league who can lift and carry a team, even shorter after Peyton Manning's decline and fall.

I don't think the man is that poor with Cousins.  JMO.

You are right sorry it is better than 25th. Not sure why I had 27th in my head.  In his last 4 non playoff seasons the D ranks have been atrocious though, 31st, 28th, 32nd, 31st.  

I think Cousins has a lot to prove to be there with Rivers career wise.  Rivers has at times been a borderline top 5 QB.  He is now borderline top 10 which is exactly where Cousins is.... I suppose I meant poor man's compared to peak Rivers. And peak Cousins should be now and the next couple of years really. 

Edited by GunnerBill

14 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

In the draft.  I really think its gonna be Mayfield and Rosen at 1st. Maybe Darnold will catch up after a year.

That's two QB.  We can only pick one.  Who is the best QB available?

If I were Cousins, I would have my agent trailing trial balloons to Minnesota.

Does Denver have an OL? CHFF says it's "meh" at best, although one can argue how much CHFF rating is skewed by the QB.  Who's their RT?

Does Denver have quality WR younger than 30?