Mayock on WGR

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Why do you say that? There are so many ways to structure a contract to make them fit....plus cap is expected to increase again for next season

I thought maybe we invest in a few monsters for our front 7 in FA and some OL and WR help.

Use picks 21 22 and cordy glenn to move up and grab one of the top 3.

I dont wanna get handicapped to that contact and then we cant sign and resign players we need.

Im  also sick of us taking the 4th best prospect like Losman or continually bringing in other teams throwaway QBs like Fitz (Fitz Rules tho) Bledsoe Rob Johnson etc.

12 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

oh i'd love to trade up and get baker or one of those guys i just don't think it's happening and plenty of other teams need qbs so they will be willing to trade as well. i'd love to be able to use that cap space to sign other free agents to fill holes. problem is the draft is after free agency. 

he lost to green bay in the wild card round when his defense couldn't stop the packers. you underestimate the impact a great defense has on the team. give him a defense and look out. he played really well in that playoff game.

You could be right, its been said Beane likes to build through the draft,  so well see.

I could see him staying pat and taking Rudolph at 21.

I could see him trying to get Cousins and stocking our roster with our draft.

Bean scouted a lot of QBs this year.  I really think if they find a trade partner they will trade up for Rosen, Darnold, and maybe Mayfield.

Even tho I think Mayfield might be the best of the 3 rite now, i think McBean wants a QB more in the mold of a Rosen or Rudolph, strait pocket passers.

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

I thought maybe we invest in a few monsters for our front 7 in FA and some OL and WR help.

Use picks 21 22 and cordy glenn to move up and grab one of the top 3.

I dont wanna get handicapped to that contact and then we cant sign and resign players we need.

Im  also sick of us taking the 4th best prospect like Losman or continually bringing in other teams throwaway QBs like Fitz (Fitz Rules tho) Bledsoe Rob Johnson etc.

Your idea works as well. Just saying they can sign Cousins and draft well and still be ok. Not saying that's what i want but it can be done.

I just don't get people who continue to view qb as the cheap option if there is ever a position you spend big money on it's the QB position without your team is just mucking thru the seasons.  I hear the biggest argument is they would rather spend the money on other positions, well sorry but without a QB your chances of playoffs go down hrmmm maybe there is a team who missed the playoffs for 17yrs because they brought in big FA other than a QB that was worth something.

Cousins would be a welcome addition to this team and they can fill other positions with the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Dr. Fong said:

That's the same kind of thinking that got people in trouble in the real estate market.

How did we go from the NFL salary cap to real estate?

13 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Cousins has been doing as much winning as Taylor over the last three years. The guy may be able to throw the ball a lot but success has been limited. 

Tyrod has a better career record than Drew Brees had from 2014 to 2016.

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

Your idea works as well. Just saying they can sign Cousins and draft well and still be ok. Not saying that's what i want but it can be done.

If it can be done without handicapping other positions we need, ER, DT, LBs, CB2, OG,OT, we would instantly become contenders again. 

I hope the big money doesnt make him flop, or lose his motivation kinda like what happened with Dareus.

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

If it can be done without handicapping other positions we need, ER, DT, LBs, CB2, OG,OT, we would instantly become contenders again. 

I hope the big money doesnt make him flop, or lose his motivation kinda like what happened with Dareus.

unfortunately, that is a risk with the kind of money available

47 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Cutting / trading Tyrod and the hit from Wood leave us at about $41 mil in cap space.  A base salary restructure on Cordy Glenn gets us to $48 mil in cap space.

Our rookies require about $ 8 mil in cap space.

I would be surprised if we were major FA players, Beane has said he values comp picks.  Outside of EJ Gaines, most all our FAs are guys from the previous regime who aren't great system fits.  

And that's just simple salary cap math, there are several other options available.

So yeah, I think we can sign Cousins, with our draft picks, keep Gaines or other FAs of ours we want to or sign a few mid level, cheap FAs, the type of guys McBeane would be looking at anyways.

Rookies don't really require 8 million because you only count the top 51 contracts on the roster in the offseason..as these rookies will be pushing other players our of the top 51, its actually 8 million minus the value of the contracts of the players pushed out of the top 51. Usually this ewuates to about 2 million which means in reality we need about 6 million or a little less.

Whatever they think is the solution to their QB problem, I'll support it. If that means backing up the Brinks truck for Cousins, fine. If it means trading a bunch of picks to get inside the top five of the first round, that's fine too. If they stay put and wait to see which QBs are on the board at 21 and 22 and go that route, so be it. It's a "wait and see" approach I have with this regime but so far I'm encouraged by what I hear and seeing how well the trades they made last year worked out is also a positive sign.

The one thing I will say that I don't think is very likely is the trading of Cordy Glenn. Not in the way that some people think. He's damaged goods at the moment so his value probably isn't very high. Foot injuries on any player are bad news but they're especially rough on a 6'6" 340 lb. left tackle. I do think they'll end up moving on from him due to Beane wanting to open up as much cap space as possible but I don't think they'll score anything more than a 4th or 5th round pick at best just because whichever team is interested is gonna have to make sure their doctors clear him.

They also value their draft picks. I think something pretty special is gonna have to come across their table in order for them to give up a number of picks to move up. 

Could go a lot of different ways, it'll be interesting (and hopefully exciting) to see how it all shakes out.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bdutton said:

If Cousins is so good, why did Washington spend a fortune to bring in FA Alex Smith?????

Part of me wonders if they don't like his personality or if there's something behind the scenes we don't know about. They could have had him for basically the same amount they're paying Smith (had they signed him 2 years ago). I asked some friends for their thoughts (since I live in the DC area) and they are all pissed at the FO and think they blew it. They want Cousins to win a SB against Washington (I'm sure that would actually change) because they hate the way he was treated here. I don't know, interesting situation. 

Edited by elroy16

14 minutes ago, bdutton said:

If Cousins is so good, why did Washington spend a fortune to bring in FA Alex Smith?????

Not only did they overpay Alex Smith, they traded a starting cb and a draft pick.  Why? Because Washington screwed the pooch on their Cousins gamble. They couldnt let Cousins walk and not have anyone in place.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Rookies don't really require 8 million because you only count the top 51 contracts on the roster in the offseason..as these rookies will be pushing other players our of the top 51, its actually 8 million minus the value of the contracts of the players pushed out of the top 51. Usually this ewuates to about 2 million which means in reality we need about 6 million or a little less.

You are exactly right. 

I was just using EXTREMELY rough math to illustrate that yes, we could sign Kirk Cousins and still field a whole entire NFL team this year.  There is a ton of minutia and little moves that can be done to save money.  

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Thanks for posting this. The audio is up.

It was just a speculative comment IMO.

We dont have the $ to pay out 30 mill a year for QB

I like what he said about Baker. I hppe that doesnt stop McBeane from drafting him tho.

The Bills absolutely have the money. 

28 minutes ago, bdutton said:

If you're waiting for Washington to do something logical, you'll probably be waiting awhile. They're just a dumb organization.

Not saying Cousins is the savior, but Washington constantly makes absurd decisions with their money and trading what they did for Alex Smith and then locking him in long-term is just another example IMO.