Mayock on WGR

1 hour ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

When the audio is up, let me know what you think ? Could be nothing other than his intrigue.

Thanks for posting this. The audio is up.

It was just a speculative comment IMO.

We dont have the $ to pay out 30 mill a year for QB

I like what he said about Baker. I hppe that doesnt stop McBeane from drafting him tho.

Just now, FearLess Price said:

I like what he said about Baker. I hppe that doesnt stop McBeane from drafting him tho.

yes we do have the money. 

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Thank you for sharing, this was a great listen and only validates my opinion about a few players, but Mayock continues to show why he's regarded as one of the best scouts and evaluators out there. 

To the QB question, it was interesting for Mayock to say "You like Cousins?" essentially unsolicited because Howard asked about Rudolph and Jackson. Now, I've gone on record saying I would prefer the Bills NOT to sign Cousins and I've gone on record saying basically it is just due to age (29) and the fact that such FA money precludes the Bills from going to get other much needed help, ala Offensive / Defensive line, a LB and a CB as well as another WR. But, I like Cousins and I've also gone on record saying as much including when he was Drafted I told a Redskins fan friend of mine that in two years Cousins would be the starter....so, I've been a Cousins supporter from the beginning.

As for Drafting a QB, I also fully agree with Mayock, much to the chagrin of others (some on this board), that Mason Rudolph is a pocket passer, the most accurate QB in this year's Draft, has an NFL arm but not "elite" such as Josh Allen's, and is the most accurate deep ball passer in the Draft. I've also said that accuracy is a big issue for any college QB and that a QB can't add significant percentage points to their accuracy percentage, and that concerns me. Also, while if I'm going all the way up to #2 or #3 - which again I've gone on record hoping the Bills do not - it's for Rosen merely based on talent. I'm not a big Darnold lover and I think Allen is truly gifted, but he needs reconstruction on his mechanics and an ability to stay in a pocket to make the play. 

So, I feel better about my love for Rudolph at 21, but could stomach the idea of Cousins if I had to, so long as the Bills had great contingency plans to get the other players they need to build the team, not just the current Draft selection numbers, but additional picks and additional trades to get the players they need to be strong across the board. And I still hate the idea of trading up in a Draft that is rife with truly great QBs....THIS is the Draft year you stand pat and realize in almost any other Draft, the 6th Drafted QB could have very well been the #2 overall selection in other years. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

he would give us the best chance at winning next year. 

How's that work out for Washington? Long term Cousins is fools gold. You dont pay elite money to non elite players. Especially not QBs with the amount of salary cap they eat up.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

yes we do have the money. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I swear.  It's like some people think if we don't sign Cousins we could sign JJ Watt, LeVeon Bell and Jalen Ramsey.

Did you both look at the cap including pending FAs, and the money needed to sign rookies this year? How about when we need to resign talent? Or you jus saying we have the money cuz its not ours so who gives a f.

Just now, matter2003 said:

How's that work out for Washington? Long term Cousins is fools gold. You dont pay elite money to non elite players. Especially not QBs with the amount of salary cap they eat up.

you will see the skins lose more games than they did last year. the skins didn't have a very good team around cousins. their d was not good and like you have seen with brees the past few years and rivers...bad teams lose. even those two who are by all accounts franchise guys couldn't win by themselves. all of a sudden the saints get some great defensive players in the draft and same for the chargers and they win more than they did before. if the bills sign him and get some talent on that front 7 we will win a lot of games. 

3 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Did you both look at the cap including pending FAs, and the money needed to sign rookies this year? How about when we need to resign talent? Or you jus saying we have the money cuz its not ours so who gives a f.

releasing tyrod gives us almost 50 mil in space. you make room for the qb number. it does make it harder but it's all about drafting and being creative. 

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Within 3 years it won't be elite money. The salary cap keeps going up.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Cutting / trading Tyrod and the hit from Wood leave us at about $41 mil in cap space.  A base salary restructure on Cordy Glenn gets us to $48 mil in cap space.

Our rookies require about $ 8 mil in cap space.

I would be surprised if we were major FA players, Beane has said he values comp picks.  Outside of EJ Gaines, most all our FAs are guys from the previous regime who aren't great system fits.  

And that's just simple salary cap math, there are several other options available.

So yeah, I think we can sign Cousins, with our draft picks, keep Gaines or other FAs of ours we want to or sign a few mid level, cheap FAs, the type of guys McBeane would be looking at anyways.

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

you will see the skins lose more games than they did last year. the skins didn't have a very good team around cousins. their d was not good and like you have seen with brees the past few years and rivers...bad teams lose. even those two who are by all accounts franchise guys couldn't win by themselves. all of a sudden the saints get some great defensive players in the draft and same for the chargers and they win more than they did before. if the bills sign him and get some talent on that front 7 we will win a lot of games. 

releasing tyrod gives us almost 50 mil in space. you make room for the qb number. it does make it harder but it's all about drafting and being creative. 

Cousins has never won a playoff game. Even when Cousins had an top shelf WR and TE rpster he didnt get passed the WC round.

I understand why Bills fans wana sign cousins. Its an easy fix to a position that we havent really filled since JKelly retired.

I disagree tho, id rather we trade up and take our shot at one of the top 3 QBs this draft.

New regime, new OC, draft capital to move up,  its the perfect time, and we can use the cap space that would've went to Cousins, to instead bring in good solid vets at positions on the OL and  front 7 where it takes rookies a while to get good at. LBs can play well right off the bus but it taes a while for OL and DT in most cases.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Cutting / trading Tyrod and the hit from Wood leave us at about $41 mil in cap space.  A base salary restructure on Cordy Glenn gets us to $48 mil in cap space.

Our rookies require about $ 8 mil in cap space.

I would be surprised if we were major FA players, Beane has said he values comp picks.  Outside of EJ Gaines, most all our FAs are guys from the previous regime who aren't great system fits.  

And that's just simple salary cap math, there are several other options available.

So yeah, I think we can sign Cousins, with our draft picks, keep Gaines or other FAs of ours we want to or sign a few mid level, cheap FAs, the type of guys McBeane would be looking at anyways.

Well see how it plays out.

This is Beanes 1st year as GM. Lets see what he does.

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

Cousins has never won a playoff game. Even when Cousins had an top shelf WR and TE rpster he didnt get passed the WC round.

I understand why Bills fans wana sign cousins. Its an easy fix to a position that we havent really filled since JKelly retired.

I disagree tho, id rather we trade up and take our shot at one of the top 3 QBs this draft.

New regime, new OC, draft capital to move up,  its the perfect time, and we can use the cap space that would've went to Cousins, to instead bring in good solid vets at positions on the OL and  front 7 where it takes rookies a while to get good at. LBs can play well right off the bus but it taes a while for OL and DT in most cases.

oh i'd love to trade up and get baker or one of those guys i just don't think it's happening and plenty of other teams need qbs so they will be willing to trade as well. i'd love to be able to use that cap space to sign other free agents to fill holes. problem is the draft is after free agency. 

he lost to green bay in the wild card round when his defense couldn't stop the packers. you underestimate the impact a great defense has on the team. give him a defense and look out. he played really well in that playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1

The way i took mayocks response about cousins was that he wasn’t enamored with Jackson and rudolph and was maybe politely suggesting the bills take a look at cousins instead of going in on one of them as their qb. I was half listening but that’s the way i took it.

Just now, zevo said:

The way i took mayocks response about cousins was that he wasn’t enamored with Jackson and rudolph and was maybe politely suggesting the bills take a look at cousins instead of going in on one of them as their qb. I was half listening but that’s the way i took it.

You could be right....but, I didn't take it that way at all. In fact, Mayock went on to do a nice job of indicating what both Jackson and Rudolph brought to the QB table and to me, gave Rudolph a bit of an edge in terms of traditional QB readiness but also said Jackson is the most talented dual threat QB he's ever seen and specifically mentioned Vick as a guy he recalls being incredible. 

45 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Why do you say that? There are so many ways to structure a contract to make them fit....plus cap is expected to increase again for next season

I like Mayock for what he brings in his role as a media analyst, but that’s as far as it goes. He is not a scout and doesn’t possess a fraction of the insight on all these players as scouts and other personnel evaluators do. It’s just not his full time gig. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. From Sanchez over Stafford to Gabbert over Newton and the many players at positions in between over the years, his “evaluations” leave a lot to be desired.