Giant Mock Offseason

Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills (surprisingly) tried to trade for martavis Bryant last year, so that’s probably why he went there

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Report-Bills-showed-interest-in-trading-for-Pittsburgh-Steelers-WR-Martavis-Bryant-109764154

It sounds like when we failed to nab Bryant we grabbed Benjamin instead. So am guessing McBeane wanted to grab a big WR which we now have, I can't see us pursuing Bryant now. As right now, to me, our need at WR is a slot guy and a someone that could replace Tate as KR/PR. I've brought him up before,  and we showed interest in him https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/5/16101808/buffalo-bills-news-claim-for-bruce-ellington-sammy-watkins-zay-jones-andre-holmes-rod-streater, but think  Bruce Ellington be a solid add this offseason. 

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why are people so down on Foles? Doesn't Daboll like running RPOs? Foles has played really well with two different OCs who allowed him to do what he is good at. He is far from a sure thing but then again so are all the kids coming out.

For me I think that he has had times where he has been awful and great. He is on fire at the moment. He has been good at running RPOs for sure. I’m not positive that he is an upgrade from Tyrod in that scheme. I’m not interested in spending a 1st on him (despite how well he played in the playoffs). He had a great year, a great playoffs but struggled the rest of his career. Trade up and get a guy that can be a star. Have a vet here to hold down the fort. I wouldn’t hate a trade for Foles but wouldn’t be excited either. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me I think that he has had times where he has been awful and great. He is on fire at the moment. He has been good at running RPOs for sure. I’m not positive that he is an upgrade from Tyrod in that scheme. I’m not interested in spending a 1st on him (despite how well he played in the playoffs). He had a great year, a great playoffs but struggled the rest of his career. Trade up and get a guy that can be a star. Have a vet here to hold down the fort. I wouldn’t hate a trade for Foles but wouldn’t be excited either. 

if it's a third and we don't give him a new contract i'm on board. or at least maybe just a one year extension i'm good. but people are saying he's gonna get a longer big money deal on a team team similar to alex smith or something. i'm not willing to risk that. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Foles would be a tremendous update from what we have now. That is indisputable. The issue comes down to value. Is using a first round pick on Foles worth giving up an opportunity to take a qb prospect such as Rudolph or Jackson? The issue comes down to pursuing short term goals at the expense of a long term solution. No one is saying that a drafted qb is a sure thing. Or the flip side of the question is Foles a long term answer at qb? 

I agree John. If I have to choose between Rudolph, Foles, Jackson and the cost is #22 I'm taking Foles each and every time. I haven't seen a good argument that would explain otherwise. 

If the cost is multiple firsts or a trade and a 100 million dollar contract then obviously that is a different discussion entirely. Right now Nick Foles for the 22nd pick, lets go. You're correct when you said he would be a huge upgrade over TT. He understands the game at the LOS and if given time he is an above average passer. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

First he says it's early and we don't know what the Bills front office will do, shortly after he has them trading for Martavis Bryant. 

I understand it's a lot to cover all 32 teams but as a Bills fan that trade shows yah all you need to know. Just freeballing. 

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Good point re: Foles.  I think whatever Vet we get the OC will have to focus on what the vet does and does not do well.  None of the Vet QB's we get will be the long-term answer.  Just have to find the best bridge for the rookie QB to learn from.  

And I totally agree on cost.  No way am I paying above a 3rd for a vet QB, esp. when you can pick up a FA Vet (from Minny for ex).  

I have had Martavis Bryant to the Bills for a 4th rounder on most of my offseason mocks.

It makes sense because:

1) the Bills tried to trade for him before the deadline

2) he is the true speed X or Z receiver that they need

3) he has the size that the Carolina guys seem to want

4) He is still on his rookie contract

5) but on the outs with the Steelers, who are deep at WR...... and entering his walk year

6) McD and Tomlin are part of that William and Mary connection so Tomlin would probably tell him if he is worth the risk

7) if he pans out he will probably have to accept less in FA due to his suspension issues.....making it possible for the Bills to potentially ink both he and Benjamin beyond next year

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He spent it well. It's clearly his hobby, and he's good at it.

It was great work.........would love to have his input here on TSW.

That draft he did may not thrill people but would make a good deal of sense............I just don't see the Bills trading a #1 for Foles and not drafting a QB.

If you gotta' run RPO........and you do if you have Foles..........then just keep Tyrod and go get your potential franchise QB on the roster.

Sleeper to Bills IMO.......NaVorro Bowman.    Seems like a poor fit on paper......too slow.......but I could see this team trying to patch up some holes on defense with instinctive/savvy vets on short term deals rather than turn over a lot of starting jobs to rookies.

• Like (+1) 1

Gaines gets away in FA but the Bills pick a WR(Gallup) then trade for one with a BA(MB).

I also didn't see Jordan Matthews landing spot.

No help on the O line.

PB gets signed away and there is no replacement at MLB drafted or FA

I am glad he is not the GM ;)

On 2/12/2018 at 8:22 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Bills (surprisingly) tried to trade for martavis Bryant last year, so that’s probably why he went there

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Report-Bills-showed-interest-in-trading-for-Pittsburgh-Steelers-WR-Martavis-Bryant-109764154

Wonder if they were just trying to get additional estimates for what Kbenj should be worth or needed another option to reference for the negotiations with Carolina ? 

Character fit seems off for it to be genuine interest 

Here's my crummy Bills only pipe-dream version in step-by-step excel format:

2018 Offseason

Highlights if you don't want to view everything:

- I'm under the projected T-51 salary cap with my camp roster, though my valuation numbers may be off on players. But I tried, so there's that. I did most of that actual cap stuff with Spotrac's tool plus their estimated pick costs.

- I have at least 1 of every position on the camp roster (71 total players at this point)

- Bills FAs Retained: Preston Brown, Leonard Johnson, Ramon Humber, Nick O'Leary, a few more depth guys

- Tyrod cut

- Bills trade Cordy Glenn, Picks 21, 22, and a 2019 1st to Indianapolis for the 3rd overall pick

- Bills sign Bennie Logan, Kyle Fuller, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Connor Barwin, and Taylor Gabriel in FA

- Bills draft Josh Rosen (or Mayfield, or Darnold... w/e), and get help at LB, G, DT, RB, EDGE, & CB

I'll probably modify it more as I invest more time into it.