Reuben Foster arrested for second time this offseason; DV suspected

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

The court of public opinion doesn’t mean anything? Assualts against your reputation and character and the stigma it carries is inconsequential?

I could be mistaken, but what I think he meant is that the "court of public opinion" doesn't have any rational validity - not that it can't have consequences

• Like (+1) 1

If you see one of these stories and immediately assume guilt or innocence you should probably ask what it is about yourself that makes you feel that way.

The truth is you have no idea.

There are a lot of truly dangerous, abusive guys. There are also a lot of guys that are falsely accused for various reasons. Then there are all the other cases that fall into a gray area.

A guy is convicted for DV because he bruised the wrist of the arm his wife slapped him in the face with as he slept on the couch.

A girl slaps her husband once after learning he's been !@#$ing her friend.

A guy is charged for forcibly throwing his wife out of the house after she threw wine in his face and while she was smashing his things.

Most of these cases fall in the gray area. That's an area where damn near everyone has something in their past that would cause a stir if they were famous and it came out. If you don't you're as big a freak as anyone.

I keep hearing innocent until proven guilty only matters in court, but that's wrong. We have that built into our legal system because we overwhelmingly agreed with the PRINCIPLE of giving the benefit of the doubt to someone until there's strong evidence to the contrary. 

You don't have to agree with a legal decision (O.J. did it) but if you're any kind of decent person, you're not going to assume the worst in someone until you're pretty damn sure what they did is as morally reprehensible as you think it is.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken, but what I think he meant is that the "court of public opinion" doesn't have any rational validity - not that it can't have consequences

Not sure what you mean by “rational validity”. The court of public opinion can’t try and convict you, but it can certainly be damaging.

12 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

If you see one of these stories and immediately assume guilt or innocence you should probably ask what it is about yourself that makes you feel that way.

The truth is you have no idea.

There are a lot of truly dangerous, abusive guys. There are also a lot of guys that are falsely accused for various reasons. Then there are all the other cases that fall into a gray area.

A guy is convicted for DV because he bruised the wrist of the arm his wife slapped him in the face with as he slept on the couch.

A girl slaps her husband once after learning he's been !@#$ing her friend.

A guy is charged for forcibly throwing his wife out of the house after she threw wine in his face and while she was smashing his things.

Most of these cases fall in the gray area. That's an area where damn near everyone has something in their past that would cause a stir if they were famous and it came out. If you don't you're as big a freak as anyone.

I keep hearing innocent until proven guilty only matters in court, but that's wrong. We have that built into our legal system because we overwhelmingly agreed with the PRINCIPLE of giving the benefit of the doubt to someone until there's strong evidence to the contrary. 

You don't have to agree with a legal decision (O.J. did it) but if you're any kind of decent person, you're not going to assume the worst in someone until you're pretty damn sure what they did is as morally reprehensible as you think it is.

Foster certainly hasn’t received the benefit of the doubt in this case. It makes one wonder why that is.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:44 PM, Sky Diver said:

Not sure what you mean by “rational validity”. The court of public opinion can’t try and convict you, but it can certainly be damaging.

I mean that in general, public opinion is not very rational, is easily swayed by appeals to emotion, and makes judgements which generally correlate previously held views (of whatever persuasion).

I agree it can be very damaging.

• Like (+1) 3

I hope that this woman will face some kind of consequences, but if she does it's only because she was stupid enough to come clean which is a sad irony. So many people lie without conscience or consequence as long as it furthers their goals. It's incredibly pervasive and accepted in our society. As long as you get what you want then it's all good.

12 hours ago, vincec said:

I hope that this woman will face some kind of consequences, but if she does it's only because she was stupid enough to come clean which is a sad irony. So many people lie without conscience or consequence as long as it furthers their goals. It's incredibly pervasive and accepted in our society. As long as you get what you want then it's all good.

Agreed, she needs to be held accountable.  And Foster still seems like a shady dude.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:41 PM, JoPar_v2 said:

Hope you come back and visit when he’s convicted/pleads guilty.

Isn’t there UA board you can slither off to and pollute in the meantime?

On 4/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, aristocrat said:

Of all the crimes to go on the limb for beating the hell out of a chick is not one I would. Ban him from the league

Well, looks like the court of public opinion is WRONG AGAIN

There is a reason why a lot of people let DUE PROCESS AND FACTS come out before publicly convicting them

Reuben Foster is no saint, but people get ruined by this type of stuff very frequently. Often it ends up be nothing more than false accusations and libel.

It also demeans the women who are actual victims of crime who are strong enough to come forward.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:48 PM, Soda Popinski said:

well that sucks that she lied, I called the guy an animal after reading that he kicked the dog and hit her. If she's lying and she's admitting it, lock her up now because that is as bad or worse than actually being abused.  The damage to his reputation is irreparable.  it's like being accused of rape.   People never look at you the same again 

Reuben Foster’s ex-girlfriend will testify that she lied to police about him

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 15, 2018, 12:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

The ex-girlfriend of 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster is prepared to testify under oath that she was lying when she told police that he assaulted her.

That’s the word from attorney Stephanie Rickard, who told the Sacramento Bee that her client, Elissa Ennis, will appear in court on Thursday and testify that she was lying when she said Foster hit her.

Ennis was injured when police arrived to take her statement, but she now says she suffered those injuries in a fight with another woman, not with Foster.

It is unclear whether prosecutors will still attempt to pursue charges against Foster. He faces three felony charges, one for domestic violence, one for attempting to prevent Ennis from reporting a crime, and one for possessing an assault weapon. He could still face legal jeopardy for the assault weapon, even if prosecutors do not move forward on the two other charges.

Meanwhile, Ennis could face charges for lying to police, although a legal analyst contacted by the Sacramento Bee said prosecutors are unlikely to pursue such charges.

And there it is, ruin someone in the kangaroo court of social media as we have seen here, and walk away unscathed.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

I know that most of you will think the following comment(s) are because I am obviously and admittedly biased toward the Crimson Tide, but if Reuben Foster can keep his head on straight and stay healthy, the kid has a chance to be the best inside linebacker in the NFL imho. He is fast, strong, smart, and the kid is a flat out predator.