Why Nick Foles will most likely be traded before March 16?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-foles-free-agents-and-all-the-offseason-decisions-the-eagles-now-face/amp/

Several new outlets have been reporting that Philly's best option is to retain Foles as insurance till Wentz is fully healthy. I disagree.

Philly has one of the worst cap situations in the league. See, for example, the link provided above. It is so bad that let alone Foles' 7 mill, even the 3 mill roster bonus that Philly will have to eat if Foles is not traded or released before March 16 might be difficult to stomach.

Pederson's comments minutes after winning the super bowl where he was very reluctant to give a ringing endorsement to Foles ( he said one person does not make a team or something like that) as well as the fact that Foles' trade value might never be higher will likely ensure a Foles trade.

I also think that Foles actually has more trade value in the preseason/mid-season due to injury. This is a pretty thick QB market (comparatively speaking) and teams might be hesitant to give up more than a 2nd for him. Come August-October and a starting QB on a team with playoff aspirations, or with a coach on the hot seat, and 1st round probably is much more realistic. 

12 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I might think about returning the 3rd round pick from the Darby Trade and the 5th Round pick from the Dareus Trade for Foles but that is it.

It's going to take a lot more than that. Not sure it is worth a lot more than that but probably is just on the 10-20% chance that he is going to be a franchise guy. If you consider that even though he may not be a franchise guy you got one of the very best backups in the league.

Hmm the WSJ also says it is smart for Philly to trade Foles.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nick-foles-is-a-philadelphia-herotime-to-trade-him-1518105531

Foles is signed to a cheap contract that stays cheap if Philly trade him before next offseason. So it is a question of if and not when that Foles is traded (if he stays on the Philly roster in early 2019, he becomes a free agent and Philly will get nothing in return).

The only question is the 2.4 million Philly will save if he is traded before March 16. Keeping him on as an insurance policy till the Wentz return can no doubt be worth  that money - but the more teams address their draft needs through the FA market (Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCown)and the draft, the less attractive offers Philly will get (it reduces the market for Foles).

And I think it will take at least one of Buffalo's first rounders to get him - all this talk of 2nd round picks etc. not going to cut it. I can see that a team with a top 10 pick and a legit shot at a franchise QB in this deep draft will not offer the draft pick. But Foles is certainly worth a late first rounder. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I also think that Foles actually has more trade value in the preseason/mid-season due to injury. This is a pretty thick QB market (comparatively speaking) and teams might be hesitant to give up more than a 2nd for him. Come August-October and a starting QB on a team with playoff aspirations, or with a coach on the hot seat, and 1st round probably is much more realistic. 

Except it has to be a team that is contending that loses the Qb and has the 7 million in free cap space. The market is better when you have more teams bidding against each other...

3 hours ago, JPP said:

Cant see the eagles getting rid of Foles next season especially if Wentz's health is not 100% week 1?  But if they do i really hope the bills make a strong push to get him!

Today’s ACL injuries heal as fast as 6 months. He will be ready for training camp...

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

And I think it will take at least one of Buffalo's first rounders to get him - all this talk of 2nd round picks etc. not going to cut it. I can see that a team with a top 10 pick and a legit shot at a franchise QB in this deep draft will not offer the draft pick. But Foles is certainly worth a late first rounder. 

No way I give a 1st for Nick Foles. Not a chance. I'd despair if this team did that. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The thing is, if they don't get rid of him it could create a huge problem for the team, especially if Wentz is just about ready but not fully 100% when the season starts.

Not even that, if Wentz shows any struggles next year the fan base and Media will be going nutty to start Foles.  What a flavored popcorn pickle Philly has to deal with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Not even that, if Wentz shows any struggles next year the fan base and Media will be going nutty to start Foles.  What a flavored popcorn pickle Philly has to deal with.

That is exactly what I meant. And it could go any number of bad ways.

Foles starts the season and plays poorly but they win almost all of them... and now Wentz is ready.

Foles plays the first few games and is quite good but not great, and now Wentz is ready and half the team thinks Wentz is the guy and half think Foles is.

Wentz has a quick recovery and starts the season but is only average and the fans want Foles.

IMO there is more possible trouble that good situations.

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

They'll cannibalize Wentz in half a heartbeat... City of brotherly love my a__!