UGA Cleans House in Recruiting

atlbillsfan1975

UGA just set a record for the most Five Star recruits with this last class. I am the first to say Kirby Smart now needs to turn that into a National Championship. I am wondering if this could this be the beginning of the end for Coach Saban?  The loss of all the assistant coaches might be taking its toll where it counts the most, finding talent and getting them on campus.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

UGA just set a record for the most Five Star recruits with this last class. I am the first to say Kirby Smart now needs to turn that into a National Championship. I am wondering if this could this be the beginning of the end for Coach Saban?  The loss of all the assistant coaches might be taking its toll where it counts the most, finding talent and getting them on campus.

Will be fun to watch them in the SEC... Fromm looks like the real deal and they have so much talent. I don’t usually watch a lot of SEC but I have been following Fromm since the QB1 documentary... I think he’s a future NFL starter.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

UGA just set a record for the most Five Star recruits with this last class. I am the first to say Kirby Smart now needs to turn that into a National Championship.

And if he doesn't?

I am wondering if this could this be the beginning of the end for Coach Saban?  The loss of all the assistant coaches might be taking its toll where it counts the most, finding talent and getting them on campus.

Oh, please. Why is it after some perceived Alabama "setback", people start yammering about the demise of Saban and Bama.

It's not like Bama is suddenly scraping the bottom of the barrel in recruiting.

Saban has 6 NC across 2 different programs with 3 different DC and at least 5 different OC. IMO, the loss of assistant coaches might have an impact, but I don't think it's going to be as bad as you hope.

• Like (+1) 1

Kirby needs to win a Nat’l Championship in the next 3 years or people will be thinking he can’t coach up talent recruited. 

This was Sabans worse recruiting class since being at Bama. That was the point of my post. 

No doubt Saban can win with new coaches at different positions. I think though the massive turnover the last 2 seasons is impacting the talent being brought  on campus. 

13 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Kirby needs to win a Nat’l Championship in the next 3 years or people will be thinking he can’t coach up talent recruited. 

This was Sabans worse recruiting class since being at Bama. That was the point of my post. 

No doubt Saban can win with new coaches at different positions. I think though the massive turnover the last 2 seasons is impacting the talent being brought  on campus. 

No, it was not.

2007 was the worst. In 2009, Saban won the NC.

2018 is his smallest class, which impacts the final rankings.

Will the turnover the past 2 years have an impact? Sure it will. The beginning of the end? This where I have to :rolleyes:.

I have heard this song and dance before.

In 2013, Auburn won the SEC and went on to lose the NC.

Afterwards, I had to hear how Gus Malzahn was going dominate the SEC and own Saban.

Since then, Gus is 1-3 vs Saban, and with 1 SECCG appearance where he got curb stomped in a rematch with UGA.

In 2015, after losing to Ole Miss, I heard how Bama's dominance was over. The demise of Saban has begun.

3 straight NC appearances and 2 titles later ...

Saban has proven he can adapt and develop talent he does land, regardless of the coaches he has on staff.

That was my point. And as you pointed out, Kirby still has yet to prove that.

Besides, you think Bama will continue to have the turnover it has had the past 2 years?

You better hope not. That means Bama is on top or near the top, and once again, teams are looking to pluck from the best.

• Like (+1) 2

Saban will be 67 next season. He’ll be just fine as long as he wants to stick around, I’d bet. Sure, there are bumps in the road (lost assistants and some classes weaker than others, etc.), but he’ll bounce back or retire. Now, will he win every national championship until he retires? It says a lot about the man to think he might only have 2-3 years left and it would be disappointing if he didn’t win another NC. I mean, there are a LOT of serious programs out there.

He’s like the Patriots, I won’t count him out until I see it, but we all know the end of an era is not too far off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yeah, Alabama looks like they will suck next year. I can only think of about 20 offensive stars spread out across every position.  Their defense only has about 7 or 8 standout pass rushers. And we all know that Coach Saban is nothing without his assistants. After all they made him, not the other way around.

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, Alabama looks like they will suck next year. I can only think of about 20 offensive stars spread out across every position.  Their defense only has about 7 or 8 standout pass rushers. And we all know that Coach Saban is nothing without his assistants. After all they made him, not the other way around.

Wow, did i say they would suck? Jeesh, read what i wrote, not what you you heard in your head. 

Fact is Saban has been hurt in recruiting by the amount of coaches leaving. Saban has also not been one to embrace the new technology rules of being able to text with recruits and the use of some of the social media aspects. 

Saban is an amazing coach, one of the top 5 best all time if not the best. Best college coach i have had the privilege of watching. I even read the book '4th and Goal Everyday' because i admire him. The book is great, it is all about the process.  If anyone can absorb the high turnover it will be Saban. I am sure he already has contingency plans in place. My point was and is that Bama just got out recruited by more schools than it has in a decade. Maybe it is coincidence that slide in recruiting coincides with the departure of coaches. Maybe it will have little impact on what happens in the fall. If Bama bounces back next year and puts up a top 3 class, it will be an anomaly. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Wow, did i say they would suck? Jeesh, read what i wrote, not what you you heard in your head. 

Fact is Saban has been hurt in recruiting by the amount of coaches leaving. Saban has also not been one to embrace the new technology rules of being able to text with recruits and the use of some of the social media aspects. 

Saban is an amazing coach, one of the top 5 best all time if not the best. Best college coach i have had the privilege of watching. I even read the book '4th and Goal Everyday' because i admire him. The book is great, it is all about the process.  If anyone can absorb the high turnover it will be Saban. I am sure he already has contingency plans in place. My point was and is that Bama just got out recruited by more schools than it has in a decade. Maybe it is coincidence that slide in recruiting coincides with the departure of coaches. Maybe it will have little impact on what happens in the fall. If Bama bounces back next year and puts up a top 3 class, it will be an anomaly. 

Last season, Bama had a huge number of recruits, most of them great. This season, their only glaring need appeared to be the secondary (which Saban actually still coaches), and (imo) finding someone to replace Payne. Historically, Saban seems to have little trouble recruiting and developing DTs. At Alabama, they concentrate on stopping the run before the pass. Coach Saban doesn't seem able to deal with the possibility of a team running on the Tide. The secondary was the focus of this class and they seem to have killed it with Surtain and others. And again, what Saban is great at in addition to recruiting is recognizing and developing talent like no other (imo).

Btw, I have been watching Coach Smart forever and he is a great one. He turned down other head coaching job offers before taking UGA. He is a brilliant football man and a great recruiter. I do not doubt that UGA will win big under Smart. What I also am sure of is that it will not be because of the decline of Nick Saban. He is still the man! ;)

Sorry if my previous post sounded snide.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2018 at 8:36 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Will be fun to watch them in the SEC... Fromm looks like the real deal and they have so much talent. I don’t usually watch a lot of SEC but I have been following Fromm since the QB1 documentary... I think he’s a future NFL starter.

That Fields kid that they brought in this year looks like he could be a good one as well. If things go as planned, UGA is set at QB for the next few years.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:07 PM, Sky Diver said:

The offense will be more potent with Tua and they had a strong recruiting class, especially at DB where they had the biggest need.

No doubt they will be in the running for the National Championship again this year. 

Roll Tide!

They are losing Ridley but imo they will be vastly improved at wide receiver. The kid who caught that TD is probably their 3rd or even perhaps 4th best wideout. I'm well aware of the fact that anything can happen, but Jeudy and Ruggs look like superstars.  Jeudy in particular (imo) looks just about impossible to cover.

At RB, Najee Harris looks to be all world, and watch out for Brian Robinson. Bo Scarborough was on TV saying that Robinson is great. Not enough? Damien Harris is back and I can't imagine who else. All this behind a deep, improved OL. :lol::D

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Sky Diver said:

They will be exciting to watch! Maybe I'll try to make it down for the spring game.

Bill, is there a Bama bar in NYC? I'm in Albany, but I might be able to make it down to the city for a game sometime.

I'm not sure but I'm going to look into it. There are haters galore, but also a surprising number of Tide Fans in NYC/Long Island. In fact, lots of kids from the area are attending Alabama. The school has risen in prominence. It seems to have replaced Delaware as a desired destination for non-Ivy Long Island kids.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.