If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that they may have to trade up ahead of Arizona to get the guy that they like best among the guys left, assuming Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are out of reach.

Every one of Rudolph’s games that I’ve watched leaves me wondering why the draft media thinks he will be available at pick 21.  He isn’t fast but I was impressed with each game I’ve watched.

I think the Bills won't draft Mason Rudolf because they already have a QB who seems close to him in talent in Peterman.

Assuming that Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are all gone top 6 (who knows, they may not even like them), I think that the Bills will target getting Allen or Jackson. Two QBs who have rare talents, could fall to their picks, or could be there to trade up a few spots (maybe using their 3rd rd pick or next year's 2nd) if they were concerned a team behind them would trade into Detroit's spot ahead of the Bills to take a QB. 

Then, I think they just keep Taylor as the bridge QB.

3 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I think the Bills won't draft Mason Rudolf because they already have a QB who seems close to him in talent in Peterman.

Assuming that Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are all gone top 6 (who knows, they may not even like them), I think that the Bills will target getting Allen or Jackson. Two QBs who have rare talents, could fall to their picks, or could be there to trade up a few spots (maybe using their 3rd rd pick or next year's 2nd) if they were concerned a team behind them would trade into Detroit's spot ahead of the Bills to take a QB. 

Then, I think they just keep Taylor as the bridge QB.

I am not one who thinks that Peterman’s disastrous game against the Chargers forever defines him, but I don’t think his presence on the roster impacts the Bills’ draft plans at all.  Additionally, I think that Rudolph is a considerably better prospect.

i do think though that they might prefer Jackson or Allen if they are within reasonable range.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think the Bills will trade up anyplace near the top.   I don't see them burning a boatload of draft picks for one player.

They might trade up into the 11-13 range if a QB they really like is hanging around.    

Now, that's the kind of in-depth analysis we've been missing around here!.  

You scoff if you want to professor science. I say maybe there is something to omens and stuff!

Why we always got to have people with the goofy names?  It's like they are ready made punchlines. We have it hard enough being Bills fans.

But no. We get Mike "Mularkey". We just had to get a Mularkey. 

And of everybody, they just had to have "Lossman"

And Chan Gailey. I don't which was worse, "Chan" or "Gailey"

Then Doug "Boney" Marroney. He did some boning alright. 4 million bucks worth.

Then E. Manuel. What, they found that kid in a manger?  With "Buddy Nix" as a wise man.

Buddy is a strange name for a 70 year old man. And that isn't even considering the "Nix". As in nix the idea of this guy as our GM.

Now we got a "Beane". 

So here comes the QB crop and we have Sam Darnold which is maybe not as bad as Lossman but it isn't good either.

Or "Baker Mayfield". Who names their kid "Baker"? I never heard of a kid being named Baker. And Baker Mayfield sounds like a cupcake company.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not one who thinks that Peterman’s disastrous game against the Chargers forever defines him, but I don’t think his presence on the roster impacts the Bills’ draft plans at all.  Additionally, I think that Rudolph is a considerably better prospect.

i do think though that they might prefer Jackson or Allen if they are within reasonable range.

From what I've read, Peterman came from a pro style offense showing the ability to throw into tight windows. While Rudolf is coming from a system offense where he was regularly throwing to wide open receivers. Then throw in that Peterman already has a year of NFL game experience and the coaches know him very well, I just don't see the purpose of drafting an average guy like Rudolph. I think they go after a QB in the draft with a very high ceiling and if that doesn't happen, they'll likely give Philly an offer they can't refuse for Foles.

Edited by 1billsfan

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

It has been talked about time and time again that their record was almost entirely due to QB play.

Why would he give a crap if a team had a bad record mostly due to crap QB play, when he is the possible incoming QB of said team?

The Jets are an up and coming team, with a coach who got performance nobody expected.

They are on the early stages of a rebuild, have jettisoned almost all of their baggage players, and have cap space and assets with a high pick this year.

Their front office seems to be on the upswing as well.

They are a very serious contender for cousins as well.

In regards to Denver, they fired a good OC in Mike McCoy during last season only to replace him with their QB coach who IMO is not an upgrade in OC Bill Musgrave. I've read that it had more to do with who was picking the QBs over who was calling the offensive plays.    The QB's on their roster do stink and they even went back to QB Brock Osweiler who went 0-4.  

Denver HC Vance Joesph was on very thin ice at the end of last season and should the team start out poorly again this season I suspect he will be fired and replaced during the season. My take is the only reason he still has a job is that Elway knows he screwed him with bad QB's. My take is Denver will offer Cousins the most and sign him...and they will still not take that division in 2018. That coaching staff will hold them back unless some things change.

I think both Denver, Jets will be replacing their head coaches after this upcoming season no matter who their respective QB is going to be, They both fielded bad 5-11 teams in 2017 and I doubt that will change much. The Jets were also 5-11 in 2016, as they have a bad defense and offense and from what I see a bad coaching staff too. 

Yes, Buffalo has a lot of work this to do this offseason to improve their roster.  The Bills just squeaked by in getting into the playoffs last season with a 9-7 record. They needed help from the Bengals beating the Ravens on a last-second miracle play. Still, they showed well in that Jacksonville playoff game! They showed that they really were only a better QB away from beating the Jags and moving on. 

I think with an upgrade now at offensive coordinator in Buffalo* and an upgrade at the QB position this team will contend for the AFC East division this season.

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

In regards to Denver, they fired a good OC in Mike McCoy during last season only to replace him with their QB coach who IMO is not an upgrade in OC Bill Musgrave. I've read that it had more to do with who was picking the QBs over who was calling the offensive plays.    The QB's on their roster do stink and they even went back to QB Brock Osweiler who went 0-4.  

Denver HC Vance Joesph was on very thin ice at the end of last season and should the team start out poorly again this season I suspect he will be fired and replaced during the season. My take is the only reason he still has a job is that Elway knows he screwed him with bad QB's. My take is Denver will offer Cousins the most and sign him...and they will still not take that division in 2018. That coaching staff will hold them back unless some things change.

I think both Denver, Jets will be replacing their head coaches after this upcoming season no matter who their respective QB is going to be, They both fielded bad 5-11 teams in 2017 and I doubt that will change much. The Jets were also 5-11 in 2016, as they have a bad defense and offense and from what I see a bad coaching staff too. 

Yes, Buffalo has a lot of work this to do this offseason to improve their roster.  The Bills just squeaked by in getting into the playoffs last season with a 9-7 record. They needed help from the Bengals beating the Ravens on a last-second miracle play. Still, they showed well in that Jacksonville playoff game! They showed that they really were only a better QB away from beating the Jags and moving on. 

I think with an upgrade now at offensive coordinator in Buffalo* and an upgrade at the QB position this team will contend for the AFC East division this season.

Jets coach signed a 2 year extension.

They were considered to be the worst team, some picked to go 0-16.

They greatly over exceeded expectations.

Bowles is a solid head coach.

I agree that Vance Joseph might be in over his head as a coach.

Musgrave is fine.

AFC West is gonna be tough with KC and gruden at oak.

Jets would be an easier playoff path for Kirk, especially if BB and TB retire soon.

The fact that you think bowles is a bad coach is very confusing though.

13 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

You scoff if you want to professor science. I say maybe there is something to omens and stuff!

Why we always got to have people with the goofy names?  It's like they are ready made punchlines. We have it hard enough being Bills fans.

But no. We get Mike "Mularkey". We just had to get a Mularkey. 

And of everybody, they just had to have "Lossman"

And Chan Gailey. I don't which was worse, "Chan" or "Gailey"

Then Doug "Boney" Marroney. He did some boning alright. 4 million bucks worth.

Then E. Manuel. What, they found that kid in a manger?  With "Buddy Nix" as a wise man.

Buddy is a strange name for a 70 year old man. And that isn't even considering the "Nix". As in nix the idea of this guy as our GM.

Now we got a "Beane". 

So here comes the QB crop and we have Sam Darnold which is maybe not as bad as Lossman but it isn't good either.

Or "Baker Mayfield". Who names their kid "Baker"? I never heard of a kid being named Baker. And Baker Mayfield sounds like a cupcake company.

Did you ever see a QB who bled so?  It seemed like opponents drew blood all the time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, nucci said:

Most losers do

This is so right and so wrong at the same time.. I don't know if I have the words but here it goes.

Benefits of Tanking

the only time you tank in the NFL is if your 10000% sure that QB you need at the #1 spot is 10000000% a prodigy and in stone your future you do it. I don't think anyone thinks for sure that who is there right now will do great. BUT there are some examples of why I would tank.

1. Andrew Luck   If an Andrew Luck was there then yes.

2. Eli Manning. same thing.

BUT again BUT.. these are rare cases and this would not of been it.

There is a lot to day for a teams mental frame of mind when you go 0-16.

What happens trade to top 5

Well a few things.

Yes you get your guy but at what expense?

You leave lots of holes on your team.

IF QB doesn't work out then you left lots of draft picks on the table for what? Does a GM want to put his REP on the line for that? usually that answer is no.

So now you have your QB but your offensive line cant block because of holes on team and QB gets head knocked off his shoulders. What then?

In short you can make a sarcastic post like this and be so right and yet so wrong. There are pro's and con's on everything you do in decisions made as a team, organization/gm.

I don't want to be in there shoes.

Edited by PrimeTime101

15 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Jets coach signed a 2 year extension.

They were considered to be the worst team, some picked to go 0-16.

They greatly over exceeded expectations.

Bowles is a solid head coach.

I agree that Vance Joseph might be in over his head as a coach.

Musgrave is fine.

AFC West is gonna be tough with KC and gruden at oak.

Jets would be an easier playoff path for Kirk, especially if BB and TB retire soon.

The fact that you think bowles is a bad coach is very confusing though.

Jeez, just take a look at Bowles last two seasons as Jets HC after starting out 10-6 in 2015 with Fitzpatrick at QB who threw for almost four thousand yards and with a defense, a top 10 unit it looked like the guy might do okay as HC in the NFL.

Now looking at his last two seasons of 5-11, Fitz went 3-8 and that Jets defense was 28th in points allowed in 2016. This year the Jets changed OCs away from Chan Gailey and went with ex 49er WR coach John Morton who is clearly worse.

The 2017 Jets were 28th on offense with McCown who played pretty well on a bad team that had a poor run game. That defense that was so good in his first season was 22nd in points allowed, 25 in yards allowed and 25th overall. 

Bowels is a defensive minded coach who was the Arizona DC for two years before getting the Jets HCing job. With John Morton as OC, a bad run game, a bad defense...Kirk Cousins isn't going to save his job for him. That is if Cousins is foolish enough to sign there.

Musgrave hired by Denver in 2017 to be the QB coach he was elevated to OC after Mike McCoy was fired during the season. Denver won two games with him as OC against the Jets and Colts. My take is Mike McCoy is a much better OC than Musgrave. However, we will see this season. 

The simple fact is I just don't see your points and you don't see mine. This will be my last post in conversation over this.

12 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

This is so right and so wrong at the same time.. I don't know if I have the words but here it goes.

Benefits of Tanking

the only time you tank in the NFL is if your 10000% sure that QB you need at the #1 spot is 10000000% a prodigy and in stone your future you do it. I don't think anyone thinks for sure that who is there right now will do great. BUT there are some examples of why I would tank.

1. Andrew Luck   If an Andrew Luck was there then yes.

2. Eli Manning. same thing.

BUT again BUT.. these are rare cases and this would not of been it.

There is a lot to day for a teams mental frame of mind when you go 0-16.

What happens trade to top 5

Well a few things.

Yes you get your guy but at what expense?

You leave lots of holes on your team.

IF QB doesn't work out then you left lots of draft picks on the table for what? Does a GM want to put his REP on the line for that? usually that answer is no.

So now you have your QB but your offensive line cant block because of holes on team and QB gets head knocked off his shoulders. What then?

In short you can make a sarcastic post like this and be so right and yet so wrong. There are pro's and con's on everything you do in decisions made as a team, organization/gm.

I don't want to be in there shoes.

The simple fact that most teams didn't see the difference between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf is the one and the only reason to never tank.

Andrew Luck is a once in a decade player and might be the only exception. But then Carolina, Buffalo was in perfect position to draft either Cam Newton or Andrew Luck in the 2011 NFL draft and Luck decided to stay in College for his senior year. Neither team tanked that season as it was just the way things go. 

If you have a quality GM and scouting, staff the team should never tank as you will find talent in every round. Conversely, if you have a bad GM, scouting staff you are Cleveland and have had 26 QBs since the Patriots have had Tom Brady starting. Just think the Browns picked QB Spergon Wynn in the 6th round before Tom Brady...and he never lets them forget it. :lol:

I watched Darnold and I can see what people like about him with size athleticism and durability. Unfortunately he is a turnover machine and when they played UCLA Rosen made him his B#$ch. He definitely has potential, I don't think he is ready to start day one therefore I don't wanna mortgage the house on him.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

My bold predictions:  

1. No QB will go #1.  Cleveland will take Barkley, then draft ALLEN at #4.  They could go Allen at 1, but I think they are confident he lasts to 4, but Barkley very well might not with NYG and Indy at 2 and 3.
  2. Someone will trade up to 2 or 3 and take one of the other QB's, likely Rosen.
  3. Denver or Jets will now be eyeing Darnold potentially at 5 and 6.  I think one of them might sign Cousins, lets assume one of them do and its Denver.  
  4. Jets land Darnold.
  5. AZ ends up taking Lamar Jackson.
  6. Baker Mayfield slips to the Bills at 21. 
  7. We take Payne at 22 (or possibly Vita or Evans)
  8. Bills take Washington and someone on the OL in the 2nd after Washington slides over his size. 
  9. Bills add RB compliment and possible future starter in Penny.
  10. 4th rounders are BPA in the areas of LB, OL, DB, DE, WR. (to me its pointless to try and predict 4th round on, even more so than mocks in general lol).

Bills finish with Baker, Payne, Washington, OL help, Penny, and some depth adds across our holes.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My predictions:  

1. No QB will go #1.  Cleveland will take Barkley, then draft ALLEN at #4.  They could go Allen at 1, but I think they are confident he lasts to 4, but Barkley very well might not with NYG and Indy at 2 and 3.
  2. Someone will trade up to 2 or 3 and take one of the other QB's, likely Rosen.
  3. Denver or Jets will now be eyeing Darnold potentially at 5 and 6.  I think one of them might sign Cousins, lets assume one of them do and its Denver.  
  4. Jets land Darnold.
  5. AZ ends up taking Lamar Jackson.
  6. Baker Mayfield slips to the Bills at 21. 
  7. We take Payne at 22 (or possibly Vita or Evans)
  8. Bills take Washington and someone on the OL in the 2nd after Washington slides over his size. 
  9. Bills add RB compliment and possible future starter in Penny.
  10. 4th rounders are BPA in the areas of LB, OL, DB, DE, WR. (to me its pointless to try and predict 4th round on, even more so than mocks in general lol).

Bills finish with Baker, Washington, OL help, Penny, and some depth adds across our holes.  

If the help is Center James Daniels from Iowa this would be a very good draft indeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you suck you have the advantage of simply staying put and drafting a franchise QB.  If you are decent but lack a franchise QB you have trade boatloads of picks to move up.  It doesn't seem fair.  As bad as our reputation is, we have had zero top 2 picks since 1986.  I top 3 and 1 top 4.  We are bad at being bad.  

27 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

If the help is Center James Daniels from Iowa this would be a very good draft indeed. 

Im not up to speed enough on this years OL crop outside the couple that are expected to go in round 1, so wasn't sure who to target there other than I would expect at some point we certainly address our woeful pass protection.  So will assume this kid is good based on your recommendation :)

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2018 at 10:07 PM, PIZ said:

What about Rosen?  I'm starting to think he's the target.

I thought everyone is saying NYG want Rosen. I think Rosen fails in the NFL. I think if the Browns take Mayfield or Allen, then I see JR in NY.  Then you move earth & mountains with Indy to get Darnold. Darnold is the prize......always has been always will be.......

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:23 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I know it's not popular, but I think Mayfield is the most sure thing at QB in this draft if he's in with the right team and coach culturally... and I think that's Sean McDermott and the Buffalo Bills :flirt:

There are many people who believe that Mayfield is the best qb in this draft. Not necessarily a plurality but a good number. And that number is growing. Before the season started people would have said that you were crazy if you made that claim. After the season you would be deemed to be  sane but still odd because of your idiosyncratic behavior. :)

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not up to speed enough on this years OL crop outside the couple that are expected to go in round 1, so wasn't sure who to target there other than I would expect at some point we certainly address are woeful pass protection.  So will assume this kid is good based on your recommendation :)

TY.... Just rewatched the Iowa/Ohio St. game and two other games for each and I must be missing something because he seems much stronger and willing to get more physical than Billy Price.  Maybe his pass protection is weak; don't know.But I'm not a scout, although my Son is a high school recruiter(NC. State) which means nothing. We all have eyes and opinions. Need to nail this draft Mr. GM !!!!!

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY