The 2018 Winter Olympic thread

Just Jack

Turns out a Canadian buddy of mine is actually working at the games as an off-ice official - he worked the US/Slovenia yesterday.  He's been a goal judge for the Halifax Mooseheads for years.  Dude in the middle with the headphones & glasses.

28061772_10157687431152228_6424026723806

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 1

The USA vs. Canada women's hockey game was absolutely fantastic.

At the final horn, a pretty good scrum erupted in the Canada goal crease with quite a bit of pushing and shoving and roughing it up!  The women!  I loved it! 

Yesterday Rob Ray commented on the "compete" of both women's teams asking "Can you imagine if the guys in the NHL played with that level of passion and commitment?  It'd be pretty good!"

Couldn't agree more with Rob.  

Edited by Fadingpain

I am a bit late with this but a day or two ago, they interviewed an AUT crosscountry skier or biathlon athlete who won the bronze.  I am going to paraphrase a bit but his reply was something like, " I train by myself, I compete by myself, I am happy I won the metal."   He didn't give that standard line " I am so happy I can do this for my country."

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I am a bit late with this but a day or two ago, they interviewed an AUT crosscountry skier or biathlon athlete who won the bronze.  I am going to paraphrase a bit but his reply was something like, " I train by myself, I compete by myself, I am happy I won the metal."   He didn't give that standard line " I am so happy I can do this for my country."

There is no I in Austria!

Oh wait, there is, never mind.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The USA vs. Canada women's hockey game was absolutely fantastic.

At the final horn, a pretty good scrum erupted in the Canada goal crease with quite a bit of pushing and shoving and roughing it up!  The women!  I loved it! 

Yesterday Rob Ray commented on the "compete" of both women's teams asking "Can you imagine if the guys in the NHL played with that level of passion and commitment?  It'd be pretty good!"

Couldn't agree more with Rob.  

I think the NHL waits for the playoffs for the passion and commitment. Unfortunately, my Islanders don't make the post season enough for me to say for sure.

Who else wants a pair of these Olympic sunglasses?

b93eb644619d5c7f2562aab3c623ae1f--fancy-

On February 16, 2018 at 9:12 PM, SinceThe70s said:

There is no I in Austria!

Oh wait, there is, never mind.

I think the NHL waits for the playoffs for the passion and commitment. Unfortunately, my Islanders don't make the post season enough for me to say for sure.

Agreed.  Regular season is now sort of a waste of time.  Would love to see it reduced to something crazy like 30 games played only twice a week on designated times with everyone in the league playing on those dates. 

"Tired" would be obsolete; "3 games in 4 nights" would be obsolete; "returning from long western road trip" (or vice versa) would be obsolete...and so would floating through the regular season.

With 30 games dictating the playoff picture, every game would be a war.  

Of course, you also reduce revenue by over 50% so this will never happen.

What a shame.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2018 at 10:05 PM, KD in CA said:

Nothing like the unbrided homoeroticism of the Olympic men's figure skating competition.   I'm convinced whichever flaming ex-skater does the commentary has a bet with his friends about how many double entendres he can work into his skating analysis.

I don't watch much of the skating, but when I do i love Johny and Tara!