Robert Klemko: 10 Most Likely Landing Spots for Baker Mayfield

13 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m going to wait til the combine to form an opinion on him. I was sold on mayfield until I watched the Rose Bowl this year. He didn’t exactly wow me but I partly blame that on the play calling in the second half

I totally blame that on the play calling in the second half.  Oklahoma went conservative when it appeared that Mayfield could do whatever he wanted out there.  They kind of took the ball out of his hands late in the game.  Up until then I thought he was terrific.   

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't know.  I think Jets or Broncos will break the bank for Cousins.  That really only leaves Cleveland, Jets/Broncos, Arizona as 3 teams ahead of us who will more than likely take a QB.  If you like Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson, I think 1 and possibly 2 of them are available at 21.  

But if the Giants say pass on a QB at 2, they could very well jump us in the first with say a 2019 first and their 2018 second, and still draft ahead of us.

That's possible but I don't think it's likely.  Trading ahead of Arizona at 15 is only gonna cost you a 2nd rounder and probably gets you your pick if Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson if you feel a lot stronger about 1 of those 3.  If Denver gets Cousins, then #5 is where you'd have to trade up for whichever of Darnold/Rosen Cleveland doesn't take.  

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Then your opinion would be very very wrong

I mean - he hasn't had a combine/pro day yet.  He barely played in the senior bowl... Could easily fade to middle of the first considering he's short, and his arm is probably among the worst in the top 5 QBs.

24 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Yeah but if you look at the chart our two 1st and maybe a LT gets us to pick #3 overall. We can grab Mayfield there and we still have 5 picks in rounds 2 to 5

Oh believe me - I'm all about getting the right QB early.  I have low expectations for whomever we end up with too, at least in year 1.  I don't expect us to grab WRs and to really set someone up for a huge year.

Edited by dneveu

There are 3 QB's I like in this draft, the 2 in the 1st rd that I think are can't miss are Mayfield and Darnold. 

56 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I honestly think Cousins is no longer an option.  We don't have the cap space to make it work without gutting the team.  

I don't think cap space is a issue for us, I think we have more than enough space for Cousins. We should be getting Taylor and Dareus off the books in 2019 so we should be able to make some moves.

3 hours ago, Bring it said:

Definetly! His accuracy is very good. Watch his tape not just highlights. He routinely hits receivers in stride. 

But, he isn’t taller. If he makes it past pick 10 and I feel he might then he is going to fall probably all the way to us!! 

Along with a huge chip on his shoulder to add to the one already there! I also would add that he has plenty of arm strength too. When he sets he can drive the ball.

Man I hope he does fall to us but it's a longshot.

9 hours ago, dneveu said:

Cousins goes to one of them.  Giants may not draft one, as they could love barkley, or trade down to address other holes (terrible O-line).  Cardinals pick at 15, which is much easier to jump than 5 or whatever - and they also have tons of holes and are a solid candidate to bottom out.  

There's also Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron available.  As well as Allen, Jackson, Rosen, and Darnold.  There's always a chance he falls more than people think.  He's a tad over 6', which will turn some people off.  He's had some issues.  

I don't think we're willing to trade up to like 2 or 3, but i think like 9, or 10 might be in play if we like a certain guy.

I think there's a chance he falls out of the top 6 (past the Jets) depending on who gets Cousins. I don't know if he falls much further than that, but if he's there around pick 10 I would be more than comfortable sending both of our firsts to jump up and grab him. Shouldn't need to add too much more than picks 21 and 22 to get up there. 

On 2/8/2018 at 5:30 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m going to wait til the combine to form an opinion on him. I was sold on mayfield until I watched the Rose Bowl this year. He didn’t exactly wow me but I partly blame that on the play calling in the second half

What were you expecting to see in the Rose Bowl?  Georgia's D was 4th in the county in points/game, 4th in yards/game, 2nd in passing yards/game.  He put up 45 points in regulation.  The next largest number of points allowed in the season was 28. 

He was not the reason OU lost that game. Yes the play calling in the second half was questionable. The OU run defense was beyond pitiful.  

He held up very well in that game and certainly nothing in my eyes that would detract from his draft stock.  

On 2/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, ColdFront_USAF said:

I think there's a chance he falls out of the top 6 (past the Jets) depending on who gets Cousins. I don't know if he falls much further than that, but if he's there around pick 10 I would be more than comfortable sending both of our firsts to jump up and grab him. Shouldn't need to add too much more than picks 21 and 22 to get up there. 

I think you are right on not needing much else.  Trading up into the top two - five gets very expensive.  That said, if he does fall to 10 or so, don't be surprised if you see some other teams jump in to the mix.  There are some teams that could use a QB due to their current starters age, or skill level, that would never trade to the top of the draft, but into the top 10 - 15 may make them a player.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:58 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

8. Buffalo Bills
Where they pick in Round 1: Nos. 21 and 22
Key player: Brandon Beane, general manager
I could see head coach Sean McDermott falling in love with Mayfield’s origin story—the two-time walk-on who won the Heisman. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll oversaw a run-heavy offense as Alabama’s coordinator last year but has a great deal of familiarity with the offensive concepts employed at Oklahoma and across the college football landscape. In McDermott’s first year in Buffalo’s war room, they demonstrated a willingness to deal picks at any juncture, in any direction, moving back 17 picks in the first round, then moving up seven picks in the second round to draft wide receiver Zay Jones, and moving up 12 picks into the bottom of the second round to select offensive lineman Dion Dawkins. If they’re kicking themselves for not using last year’s 10th overall pick (traded to Kansas City) on Patrick Mahomes, they can use the capital acquired in that deal to trade up and draft another former Texas Tech quarterback in Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor said in January the team has yet to inform him of his status going into 2018, but it’s safe to assume they’re in the market for a replacement after benching him for Nathan Peterman at one point last season.

Does Daboll have "a great deal of familiarity with the offensive concepts employed at Oklahoma and across the college football landscape"?

Daboll reportedly hadn't even seen a college football game in close to a decade when he took the Alabama job last winter.

Maybe he used those 10 months he was at Alabama very efficiently but college OC's have recruiting and other obligations pro OC's do not...........not certain he was able to use that time to learn the other offenses around college football as well as he is being given credit for.