Robert Klemko: 10 Most Likely Landing Spots for Baker Mayfield

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

If Mayfield were a couple inches taller I think there would be a legit debate about him going first overall.

There already debating this in Cleveland.  He ain't passing the Jets at #6. Most if not all draft experts have been pretty consistent talking about Mayfield skills on the field. He's actually across the board the beat QB in this class. We hear bout Darnold mechanics, Rosen can't handle pressure, Allen he's a project but Mayfield they talk bout height but we all know he can see he was that ability that other great short QBs have like Brees or Russ.

10 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I wish you were right, but I can't see how that happens. 

Drafting before us, the Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, and Cardinals are likely drafting qbs. That's 5 teams right there. 

There's also the questionable teams, like the Colts if they move on from Luck, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see the Dolphins grab one, or the Redskins to have someone to groom behind Smith. One team will get Cousins, and if the Colts decide to move Luck someone would grab him. 

Thats potentially 6-7 teams. Obviously I don't think there will be 7 qbs taken in the first round, but the lowest I've seen Mayfield ranked is 4th, behind Darnald Rosen and Allen. If even half of qb needy teams take one, Mayfield will absolutely be gone before 21. 

Cousins goes to one of them.  Giants may not draft one, as they could love barkley, or trade down to address other holes (terrible O-line).  Cardinals pick at 15, which is much easier to jump than 5 or whatever - and they also have tons of holes and are a solid candidate to bottom out.  

There's also Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron available.  As well as Allen, Jackson, Rosen, and Darnold.  There's always a chance he falls more than people think.  He's a tad over 6', which will turn some people off.  He's had some issues.  

I don't think we're willing to trade up to like 2 or 3, but i think like 9, or 10 might be in play if we like a certain guy.

9 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

If Mayfield were a couple inches taller I think there would be a legit debate about him going first overall.

Definetly! His accuracy is very good. Watch his tape not just highlights. He routinely hits receivers in stride. 

But, he isn’t taller. If he makes it past pick 10 and I feel he might then he is going to fall probably all the way to us!! 

Along with a huge chip on his shoulder to add to the one already there! I also would add that he has plenty of arm strength too. When he sets he can drive the ball.

3 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Definetly! His accuracy is very good. Watch his tape not just highlights. He routinely hits receivers in stride. 

But, he isn’t taller. If he makes it past pick 10 and I feel he might then he is going to fall probably all the way to us!! 

Along with a huge chip on his shoulder to add to the one already there! I also would add that he has plenty of arm strength too. When he sets he can drive the ball.

I think if he makes it past 6, he's got to be at least in play.  Depends who they like though.  

21+22 for pick 9 with SF might do it.  

Edited by dneveu

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Cousins goes to one of them.  Giants may not draft one, as they could love barkley, or trade down to address other holes (terrible O-line).  Cardinals pick at 15, which is much easier to jump than 5 or whatever - and they also have tons of holes and are a solid candidate to bottom out.  

There's also Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron available.  As well as Allen, Jackson, Rosen, and Darnold.  There's always a chance he falls more than people think.  He's a tad over 6', which will turn some people off.  He's had some issues.  

I don't think we're willing to trade up to like 2 or 3, but i think like 9, or 10 might be in play if we like a certain guy.

I’m also thinking that Foles might be available too. Will Philly really keep him and Wentz?

11 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I'm having trouble seeing what so many like about Mayfield. Not trying to be a jerk here. He was fun to watch. He made things happen...at the college level. But, to me, he made a lot of throws that would've been picked off in the NFL.

The improvisational style can work great in college. It doesn't work as consistently in the pros.

Watch more tape. This kid is going to be an absolute stud

5 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I’m also thinking that Foles might be available too. Will Philly really keep him and Wentz?

Yeah - thats a good point.  If the Jets sign Cousins i think they drop McCown too.  He's not a viable starting option, but he'd be a solid backup if we drafted   someone.  Glennon also probably gets shipped out.

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - thats a good point.  If the Jets sign Cousins i think they drop McCown too.  He's not a viable starting option, but he'd be a solid backup if we drafted someone.

I wouldn’t be against McCown as a backup either. I had forgotten all about Nick Foles until Wentz went down. When he has weapons and has time he gets the job done. Really impressed by him! I would take him before Cousins even. 

Its to going to be interesting for sure. I’m not missing draft night this year!

Just now, Bring it said:

I wouldn’t be against McCown as a backup either. I had forgotten all about Nick Foles until Wentz went down. When he has weapons and has time he gets the job done. Really impressed by him! I would take him before Cousins even. 

Its to going to be interesting for sure. I’m not missing draft night this year!

Foles will cost you something, while cousins doesn't.  But you also get to try before you buy with foles, at an affordable 2018 cap hit.

McCown definitely signals that you plan to get a QB though, so we'll definitely have to trade up.

Edited by dneveu

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Foles will cost you something, while cousins doesn't.  But you also get to try before you buy with foles, at an affordable 2018 cap hit.

McCown definitely signals that you plan to get a QB though, so we'll definitely have to trade up.

I assume you mean Foles will cost us a draft pick or a player? Yeah I think he would be worth it. And he won’t cost us Cousins money either. Which is ironic considering that he just won the Super Bowl.

Just now, Bring it said:

I assume you mean Foles will cost us a draft pick or a player? Yeah I think he would be worth it. And he won’t cost us Cousins money either. Which is ironic considering that he just won the Super Bowl.

I honestly think Cousins is no longer an option.  We don't have the cap space to make it work without gutting the team.  

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Watch more tape. This kid is going to be an absolute stud

If he can adjust to the nfl game I agree with you. Anticipation will be big. Tighter throwing windows.etc.... being under center doesn’t bother me with him. Love his instincts and accuracy! 

I don’t feel he is another Manziel either. Johnny Football was hung on Manziel early and I think he really believed it. At least he lived that way. Mayfield is full of confidence but doesn’t seem to act as is if he is “larger than the game”or life itself!

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - its just hard drafting where we are to like... say that that is the plan.  People will jump us at 20, so we're basically forced to trade up.

I don't know.  I think Jets or Broncos will break the bank for Cousins.  That really only leaves Cleveland, Jets/Broncos, Arizona as 3 teams ahead of us who will more than likely take a QB.  If you like Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson, I think 1 and possibly 2 of them are available at 21.  

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - its just hard drafting where we are to like... say that that is the plan.  People will jump us at 20, so we're basically forced to trade up.

Yeah but if you look at the chart our two 1st and maybe a LT gets us to pick #3 overall. We can grab Mayfield there and we still have 5 picks in rounds 2 to 5