Robert Klemko: 10 Most Likely Landing Spots for Baker Mayfield

8. Buffalo Bills
Where they pick in Round 1: Nos. 21 and 22
Key player: Brandon Beane, general manager
I could see head coach Sean McDermott falling in love with Mayfield’s origin story—the two-time walk-on who won the Heisman. New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll oversaw a run-heavy offense as Alabama’s coordinator last year but has a great deal of familiarity with the offensive concepts employed at Oklahoma and across the college football landscape. In McDermott’s first year in Buffalo’s war room, they demonstrated a willingness to deal picks at any juncture, in any direction, moving back 17 picks in the first round, then moving up seven picks in the second round to draft wide receiver Zay Jones, and moving up 12 picks into the bottom of the second round to select offensive lineman Dion Dawkins. If they’re kicking themselves for not using last year’s 10th overall pick (traded to Kansas City) on Patrick Mahomes, they can use the capital acquired in that deal to trade up and draft another former Texas Tech quarterback in Mayfield. Tyrod Taylor said in January the team has yet to inform him of his status going into 2018, but it’s safe to assume they’re in the market for a replacement after benching him for Nathan Peterman at one point last season.

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

6 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Not that I have a problem with Mayfield’s height. I just can’t see him going before pick 20 and teams taking him instead some of the great prospects in the 12 to 20 range. The guy is really accurate and I believe would be totally all about football at the next level.  We will see.

....or he could easily turn into Johnny Manziel 2.0

This could go in any direction?

7 minutes ago, Bring it said:

The guy is going top 6. It's not even a debate. 

12 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Daboll. be nice to draft QB in the 1st this year. hope Bills do not not have to trade up much.

The price gets hefty quickly when coming up from 21-22 and getting into the top ten. not sure i like that this year

Edited by 3rdand12

25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If they wait for him to fall to 21, he will not be there. 

I wouldn't want him even if he fell to 21. His size and the Hiesman stank make me weary of him. Toss in his off the field issues, let someone else draft him.

8 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

Mayfield has shown a lack of respect for the game/his competition etc. Thats where the Manziel comparison stem from.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As far as I know he had a single drinking incident last offseason. Unheard of from a college kid (turning off sarcasm font). I like his competitiveness. With his high completion percentage and his reputation for film study he's my early favorite. I'll wait for the combine and his pro day to make a final decision. But right now, I'd easily trade both #1s to move into the top 5 for him. 

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

6 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't get why everybody says Johnny Manziel 2.0 in terms of Mayfield.  The only thing they have in common is their height.

He was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing before last season which is a concern.  He also grabbed his crotch in one game. He's had a circus like college following and won the Heisman like Johnny did.  He's come out and swore he's not the next Johnny Manziel, but any team looking to draft him should do their diligent research on him.

I really like him as I've seen quite a few Oklahoma games last year.  His arm strength and accuracy was phenomenal.  He did play behind one of the best offensive lines in football though so we don't know how he'd perform behind our o-line.

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He was arrested for public intoxication, resisting arrest, and fleeing before last season which is a concern.  He also grabbed his crotch in one game. He's had a circus like college following and won the Heisman like Johnny did.  He's come out and swore he's not the next Johnny Manziel, but any team looking to draft him should do their diligent research on him.

I really like him as I've seen quite a few Oklahoma games last year.  His arm strength and accuracy was phenomenal.  He did play behind one of the best offensive lines in football though so we don't know how he'd perform behind our o-line.

Mayfield’s off field concerns seem more along the lines of Newton’s and far removed from Manziel. It’s comparing drug addiction to getting drunk once.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You can't even compare these incidents with Johnny Manziels problems.  Manziel was constantly getting into trouble every time you turned around.  Mayfield got drunk and loud once and that's all you heard from him on that front.

• Like (+1) 1