Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

KDIGGZ

I knew he was going to get a huge contract just by the way Lynch and Shanahan were talking about him. They were just gushing to the press about Nimmy G and I said at the time that his agent must just be drooling at the pay day coming....

I'll bet any money that there is some type of out after year 2 or 3 though.

I honestly think this is a good gamble by SF. I would for sure take him in Buffalo right now with that contract.  It's hard to truly judge until you've seen a guy in the league for a few yearsFrom what I've seen, I think he has everything it takes to make a team a Super Bowl contender.

You can see why they were gushing over him though - 

All week, we’ve released the PFF Top 101, highlighting the top 101 performances from the 2017 NFL season. With any list of top performances, there are bound to be players who missed out or who were on the cusp of reaching the group. With that in mind, here are the top 10 players who are poised to make a run at the Top 101 for the 2018 NFL season.

1. QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Jimmy-G-Breakout-Star-BW.jpg

Jimmy Garoppolo was spectacular after taking over as starter in Week 12, finishing 10th overall among quarterbacks with an 85.2 grade. He immediately looked like a perfect fit for head coach Kyle Shanahan’s offensive system, sprinkling accurate passes all over the field with his quick release and good decision-making. Garoppolo had the highest percentage of positively graded plays during his few weeks as starter, all while ranking sixth at avoiding turnover-worthy plays. If he can maintain that efficiency and improve upon his deep ball, where he ranked only 28th in the grading, Garoppolo will be a star and an easy candidate for Top 101 status.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

With that much cap room it doesn't take any smarts at all to do it that way. If not give him more this year so it hurts less in future ones.

With the ability to carry over you can still shove some down the line and save flexibility just in case. That only hurts if you spend recklessly to the limit and he flops... 

52 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I knew he was going to get a huge contract just by the way Lynch and Shanahan were talking about him. They were just gushing to the press about Nimmy G and I said at the time that his agent must just be drooling at the pay day coming....

I'll bet any money that there is some type of out after year 2 or 3 though.

I honestly think this is a good gamble by SF. I would for sure take him in Buffalo right now with that contract.  It's hard to truly judge until you've seen a guy in the league for a few yearsFrom what I've seen, I think he has everything it takes to make a team a Super Bowl contender.

You can see why they were gushing over him though - 

As someone noted- if 75m is guaranteed, that’s  less than 3 years, so there’s almost certainly some sort of chance to get out after two 

• Like (+1) 1

How Jimmy Garoppolo's monster contract could become a bargain

Much like Rodgers in 2008, Garoppolo has seven NFL starts to his name -- five with the 49ers and two with the New England Patriots. Garoppolo spent more than three years sitting behind Tom Brady, like Rodgers once did behind Brett Favre. And now there are some wondering how the Niners can justify a massive contract for a player who has yet to prove he can win over a long period of time?

The answer to that is simple: Garoppolo's five-game stretch as the team's starter to close the season, combined with his instant chemistry with his teammates, has led the Niners to the conclusion they have their own version of Rodgers. Which is to say they believe Garoppolo is the type of quarterback who can elevate the players around him and be the focal point of a team that competes for championships on a consistent basis.

That belief is rooted in what Garoppolo was able to do in his short stint as the starter. First and foremost, he took a 1-10 team and led it to five consecutive victories to close the season, including wins against the playoff-bound Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars. Those five wins matched the total the Niners had posted in their previous 34 games combined.

• Like (+1) 1

Jimmy G vs. Cousins: Which QB is more valuable?

On Thursday, Jimmy Garoppolo agreed to a whopping five-year, $137.5 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers. That's the largest deal in NFL history on a per-year basis, with a $27.5 million annual average (topping Matthew Stafford's $27 million figure).

So, no, Garoppolo will not be hitting free agency this offseason. One quarterback who will: Kirk Cousins. Given that he has a longer track record and could induce a bidding war on the open market, Cousins might end up surpassing Jimmy G's contract record in March. With that in mind ...

Is Cousins more valuable than Garoppolo?

I have no idea what to think about Cousins now. If guys who have played 7 games become the highest paid player in the league, then screw it pay Kirk 27 mil too. If Glennon, TT, and Osweiler get 16-18 mil, that’s the minimum cost of having a low end starter in the league, might as well pony up. But outside of football, this is a terrible business decision. 

Could you imagine starting a new job somewhere, smack in the middle of the totem poll. Then killing it Q1. Suddenly your 60k job turns into CEO. Jesus. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly...I honestly believe Jimmy G has a chance to be the next great QB in this league.  I would think they will pursue Sammy, and if they get him I think Sammy will be a 1400+ yard and 10+ TD guy next year.  

The Niners got some nice young pieces on the D, a good FA and Draft and they might a Rams like rise next year and certainly be a serious threat to win that division.  

and on offense....Hyde and Breida at RB...Garcon and  Goodwin at WR and Kittle at TE