Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

KDIGGZ

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That was a really good article. It left me even more impressed with Kyle Shanahan than I already was. 

He seems to have a very good knowledge of what to look for in a quarterback, which made this quote stand out to me - 

At that time, the only guys we thought were franchise quarterbacks that were being mentioned were Kirk (Cousins) and Jimmy,” Shanahan said. “And I knew Kirk wasn’t going to be a possibility. And I remember asking Bill [Belichick] personally down at the combine about Jimmy, and very quickly he told me that wasn’t a possibility. So we moved on from that. He told me he wasn’t going to trade him.”

If Cousins was right at the top of Shanahan's QB wish list (with Garoppolo), that makes me want him even more now! 

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That's some funny stuff.  The guy with 7 starts under his belt could've squeezed the 49ers harder than becoming the highest paid player in the NFL.  Guy should retire already.  Not much more to prove.  

Supply and demand.

QBs are in short supply and are the most important piece on the team, and it's not even a close #2.

He just turned 26.

Sat behind tom Brady (this is a good thing it he's a smart player who studied and paid attention).

He has been nothing short of brilliant when he's played.

He went 5-0 beating 3 playoff teams, averaging almost 70% comp and 300 yards per game.

4 of the 5 teams he beat we're top 15 defenses.

2 of those we're top 10, including #2 JAX.

The guy isn't Rob Johnson 2.0 with one start.

Is he deserving of being the highest paid player?

Depends what you consider "deserving"

You can't look at the $27mil a year in a vacuum.

As I've said before, the salary cap increases year to year, which means a guy making $25mil 5 years ago is a higher % of the cap than a guy making $25mil today.

EVERY position has supply and demand, it is just magnified with QBs, as they are the most important, and the drop-off/gap in team chances of winning is staggering when going from one QB tier to the next (elite-->almost elite-->very good-->above average-->average-->below average-->trash-->Cleveland)

Each tier is probably worth about 2 wins a year over the previous.

Jimmy G I think has shown enough that he's at least going to be an "above average" QB who has looked top of "almost elite" to bottom of "elite" already.

He would have hit $30mil open market.

They paid on his age, potential, and QB relative value to the other options available.

Edited by SouthNYfan

10 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That's some funny stuff.  The guy with 7 starts under his belt could've squeezed the 49ers harder than becoming the highest paid player in the NFL.  Guy should retire already.  Not much more to prove.  

It's really not that funny if you understand why they wanted him or QB market in general....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's really not that funny if you understand why they wanted him or QB market in general....

I fully understand that paying the guy $23m under the franchise tag to make him prove it for more than 5 games before making him the highest paid player in the game is now considered a slap in the face.  

38 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I fully understand that paying the guy $23m under the franchise tag to make him prove it for more than 5 games before making him the highest paid player in the game is now considered a slap in the face.  

Belichick knows even if you don't. 

DVrkhWcXUAE9UE7.jpgDVrkhW-XkAEYip1.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

...interesting......Bradford got $50 mil guaranteed in 2010 under the old system (the last year for it)....Stafford got $41 mil guaranteed in 2009.....translate those dollars into today, both for guys not having played ONE NFL down......Jimmy played 7 games........so at the end of the day, how much of an actual difference exists between 2009/2010 QB dollars versus 2018?.......is there a built in premium of crazy money in 2018 because of QB position desperation?...probably.....to what extent, I don't know.....but JG's deal is probably somewhat relative to 2009/2010 old draft system.......

49ers’ deal with Jimmy Garoppolo allows team to move on in 2021 if he struggles

The 49ers protected themselves from the possibility that Jimmy Garoppolo doesn’t live up to the hype.

By Adam Stites Feb 9, 2018, 2:24pm EST

The San Francisco 49ers committed to Jimmy Garoppolo in a big way Thursday with a five-year, $137.5 million contract. The $27.5 million annual average is an NFL record, and it comes with $74 million guaranteed.

The message is clear: The 49ers want Garoppolo to be their quarterback of the future.

San Francisco is also aware of the fact that it’s basing that hope off a total of seven career starts and just one month for Garoppolo as the 49ers’ starter. If things go south for the quarterback, the 49ers run the risk of sinking the franchise’s assets into a player who isn’t who they thought he was.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16996734/jimmy-garoppolo-san-francisco-49ers-contract-salary-cap-hits

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It's really not.  No one is making that argument--other than you.

Again, if you understand wha it is SF is doing....

Let's say he is as good as all indications are that he is so far.  Do you think he would sign for the same money after his franchise year next off-season? Of course he would not.

Sure, there is alway risk with any big contract, but the bigger risk is the he would cost them more in the future----or he may end up on another team.

How does a QB with 7 total starts in the NFL become the highest payed player in NFL History?? Sometimes as a QB I think its more beneficial to get limited games as a backup over 4 or 5 years because teams will way overpay in FA once the hype train has built up over the last 4 or 5 years.

This is the equivalent of paying the 1st pick in the draft 100+ million before they even play a single down in the NFL...they instituted a rookie cap but apparently they need to institute a games played cap in FA...absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That was a really good article. It left me even more impressed with Kyle Shanahan than I already was. 

He seems to have a very good knowledge of what to look for in a quarterback, which made this quote stand out to me - 

If Cousins was right at the top of Shanahan's QB wish list (with Garoppolo), that makes me want him even more now! 

Very interesting quote regarding Belichick's admission Jimmy G wasn't gonna be available. There is no fricken way there wasn't a ton of friction in the front office when they did trade him. Talk about ownership meddling! The Pats*** will live to regret that decision. It's not like they have a Steve Young ready to take the reins when Brady moves on. They're gonna start reaching to find one, too. Good luck with that. 

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How does a QB with 7 total starts in the NFL become the highest payed player in NFL History?? Sometimes as a QB I think its more beneficial to get limited games as a backup over 4 or 5 years because teams will way overpay in FA once the hype train has built up over the last 4 or 5 years.

This is the equivalent of paying the 1st pick in the draft 100+ million before they even play a single down in the NFL...they instituted a rookie cap but apparently they need to institute a games played cap in FA...absolutely ridiculous.

I can only laugh at people who bristle about him becoming the highest paid player when that status is likely to end as soon as Cousins hits UFA and Matt Ryan/Rodgers get extensions not too long thereafter.  The 49ers are confident he will sustain a high level of play as are many of people across the NFL who have seen him on display. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can only laugh at people who bristle about him becoming the highest paid player when that status is likely to end when hits UFA Cousins and Matt Ryan/Rodgers get extensions not too long thereafter.  The 49ers are confident he will sustain a high level of play as are many of people across the NFL who have seen him on display. 

I went through so this before

People like to look at contracts in a vacuum

The cap goes up every year, so his 27 mil won't be as much % of the cap.

You also hit the nail on the head, regarding the other extensions incoming.

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Very interesting quote regarding Belichick's admission Jimmy G wasn't gonna be available. There is no fricken way there wasn't a ton of friction in the front office when they did trade him. Talk about ownership meddling! The Pats*** will live to regret that decision. It's not like they have a Steve Young ready to take the reins when Brady moves on. They're gonna start reaching to find one, too. Good luck with that. 

Definitely interesting, and it kind of matches up with all the stories we heard about Belichick not wanting to trade him. There were definitely a lot of stories about tension between Belichick, Brady and Kraft leading up to and after that trade. We may never know for sure but I would guess that when there's that much smoke theee bound to be at least some fire... 

Belichick was said to have put a lot of time into developing/mentoring Garoppolo. They said he met with him one on one in his office at least once a week which I guess was supposedly totally unheard of for any other QB Belichick drafted over the years (minus Brady, I'd assume). He clearly seen something special in Garoppolo. 

I think it's also telling how the trade went down. Belichick didn't try and shop Garoppolo around. From what was written, he didn't even take the best offer that was on the table. He (supposedly) wanted to send JG somewhere where he'd have top notch coaching and a good shot at success, which matches up with Kyle Shanahan's reputation as a QB guru and elite offensive mind. 

I'm just glad that for whatever reason (owner meddling?) the Pats traded Jimmy G. That trade could end up being the beginning of the end of the Pats dynasty.

From what we've seen so far of Garoppolo, he looks to have had a pretty good shot at stepping right in for Brady and not missing a damn beat... 

Belichick's been with the Pats almost 2 decades and out of all the QBs he drafted, only hit on Brady and Garoppolo (or so it looks so far). The odds of him hitting on (and developing) another QB like that before he retires (assuming its in the next few years or so) are not great. Although I never count the Patriots out when it comes to anything. 

49 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can only laugh at people who bristle about him becoming the highest paid player when that status is likely to end as soon as Cousins hits UFA and Matt Ryan/Rodgers get extensions not too long thereafter.  The 49ers are confident he will sustain a high level of play as are many of people across the NFL who have seen him on display. 

As a elite level FA you typically get paid on a stong body of past work.  Could you imagine a non-QB getting paid huge money in FA when they played a total of 7 games in their career over a 4 year period?  

Would NDamakong Suh have gotten his monster contract if he played 7 games randomly throughout his first 4 years in the NFL?   Would Patrick Peterson have gotten his monster contract if he only played 7 games in the NFL?  What about Laveon Bell?  

How is it cool for a QB that has shown "potential" to be paid as if he has already realized that potential when literally no other position in the NFL is treated like that?  They get paid once they have realized that potential.

Any other position would be lucky to get 3 or 4 million a year with a similar number of games played---certainly nowhere close to the highest paid player at their position, let alone in NFL history.

It's a crazy double standard. 

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1