Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

KDIGGZ

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Correct.    It the way the story broke.    GIGO   Garbage In Garbage Out. 

BREAKING NEWS  $74Mil Guaranteed!!!   

Truth  $48.7 Mil Guaranteed

Which means it's a good deal for both. Garopollo gets rich and 49ers can get out after a couple of years if he doesn't play well. Which is why if Bills choose to try and sign Cousins, they can do it and still build team around him

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Which means it's a good deal for both. Garopollo gets rich and 49ers can get out after a couple of years if he doesn't play well. Which is why if Bills choose to try and sign Cousins, they can do it and still build team around him

If you read above from today, I already agreed to this.  

The initial knee jerk reactions people made were about the $74 Mil guaranteed, which was discussed for days -  which did not mention injury guarantee.  (at least to my knowledge) 

Now that the clarification has been made it looks better for all parties.  

Broken down that way, yes. It is reasonable and not the risk the "injury" guarantee implies as a total guarantee.  

Also 

Broken down that way, it doesn't make a Cousins deal that crazy. 

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you read above from today, I already agreed to this.  

The initial knee jerk reactions people made were about the $74 Mil guaranteed, which was discussed for days -  which did not mention injury guarantee.  (at least to my knowledge) 

I know. I was agreeing with you too

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Does the agent get a cut of the 70 or 45?   

I have no clue how they get paid.  

They get a cut as player gets paid so get portion of bonuses.  If a player dismisses agent before money the agent gets none of it so 2nd year money bonus, etc can be lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jimmy Garoppolo can now truly dive into Kyle Shanahan's offense

Nick Wagoner

Garoppolo and the Niners are well aware of those who question giving him such a massive contract despite the small sample. Some argue that if the league's defensive coordinators have a chance to study Garoppolo in the offseason, they will find weaknesses and ways to expose him. Of course, Garoppolo isn't running some sort of gimmick offense with which it's just a matter of time before defenses catch up to him. He's a pocket passer with a lightning-quick release and the ability to process coverages and get through progressions in short order.

One of the many reasons the 49ers believe so strongly in Garoppolo is they think he is just scratching the surface of his potential. Beyond using free-agent and draft resources to bolster his supporting cast, Garoppolo is about to get his first offseason diving fully into Shanahan's offense.

So the deal is basically what I figured it would be. 

49ers loaded the cap hit for 2018 (since they have a ridiculous amount of cap space), and have a pretty easy out after 2-3 years. 

Well worth the small gamble SF is taking - which is basically just some cap space lost this year. Even with Jimmy G's $37M hit, the 49ers have $80M left for 2018. So they still have more cap space than every team but 1 (Cleveland). And if Garoppolo works out, they have their franchise QB locked up for years.

Great deal for San Fran IMO. They've been pretty smart with their QB contracts in recent years (Kaepernick, Garoppolo).