Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

KDIGGZ

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't care if you think he's the 2nd coming of Brady, it's not sound business to make him the highest paid player in the NFL after 7 starts.  I'm sure their hand was forced since Garoppolo and his agent were promising them the Cousins treatment if he got tagged, but it's still bad business.  

Why is it bad business? There's plenty of money and the salary cap continues to increase every year. The owners have to pay a certain amount to the players every year

Edited by nucci

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pre- Cousins, it would've been a no brainer to franchise Garropolo and make him prove it for more than 5 games before making him highest paid player in the game.  Garropolo probably would've accepted the tag and signed a long term deal if he had a good year.  Now, QB's and agents can point to Cousins and say 'if you don't believe in me to pay me now you can franchise me but I'll never sign a long term deal with you and you can watch me walk out the door in 2 years'.  

Cousins refused to sign the deal they offered him (wisely, because to was basically, in the first 2 years, equal to 2 franchise years).  Then he was franchised.  That's how it goes. 

The bolded part has always been true, it's nothing new or unique to Cousins.  SF was smart--they ended any bidding and chance of losing JG while locking him up for 5.  Had they franchised him and he had an MVP type year and pushed SF into the playoffs (and given what some team will blow on Cousins very soon), his demands would have dwarfed what they are signing him for now...

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't care if you think he's the 2nd coming of Brady, it's not sound business to make him the highest paid player in the NFL after 7 starts.  I'm sure their hand was forced since Garoppolo and his agent were promising them the Cousins treatment if he got tagged, but it's still bad business.  

The newest guy to sign is often the highest paid because both sides assume the cap and salaries will continue to escalate and so $27M won't look so eye-popping a few years down the road.

Just now, KD in CA said:

The newest guy to sign is often the highest paid because both sides assume the cap and salaries will continue to escalate and so $27M won't look so eye-popping a few years down the road.

Plus Brees is due and Rodgers and Wilson should be getting raises soon

5 minutes ago, Dorkington said:

Can't imagine how much Cousins is going to demand now... I have a feeling we're tied to Tyrod until we magically draft the next Bills franchise QB. 

The way the salary cap is always going up, the "highest paid player in NFL history" will have an average QB contract by the end of the terms. You pay Cousins, front load the contract, and after a couple sticky years you'll have plenty of cap space to go all in on a Super Bowl contender.

10 minutes ago, JPP said:

LOL...so do the waterboys i guess.....earning a SB ring is one thing....

getting one and earning one .... vastly different 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet he doesn't...

did he sell it? 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Rob Johnson was the backup QB for the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers that defeated the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

19 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

NFL needs to institute a max salary limit like the NBA

Why??

Anyway, NFL players would love to be paid like players in the NBA...

And the NBA doesn't have a hard cap.  You want that too?

If you want to be competitive in the NFL, this is the kind of investment you need to make in the QB position.

The only decent starting guys who aren't getting paid at least $20 million+ are:

a)  Playing on a 4-5 year old contract

b)  Playing on a rookie contract

I will say this, however...  If a team can manage to land their guy in the draft, it does give them a distinct advantage on the salary cap for 4-5 seasons.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Gotta have dough to make bread amirite?

Indeed, Joey!  Indeed!  :lol:

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

Not sure how you can give an unproven player that much cash...

NFL teams are stupid.

T-Bomb you do make a good point.

As such, I think the Raiders are looking over at the Niners and saying, ''ooooohhh, ya sure?  Really...are you really sure?!"

Honestly though, man, just something about what I have seen out of the kid makes me think, yeah...don't play around with it.  Pull the trigger.