Jimmy G - Signs with 49ers - NFL's highest paid player

KDIGGZ

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Garoppolo, 49ers agree on 5-year, $137.5M deal

Those questioning the small sample size or the lack of touchdowns (7 TDs, 5 INTs) are either not watching Garoppolo play or forgetting that the 49ers owned a dead-on-arrival offense before he entered the lineup. The 49ers scored 28.8 points per game under Garoppolo; they scored 17 points per tilt in games he did not start in 2017.

Garoppolo immediately morphed the 49ers into one of the most enjoyable teams to watch down the stretch. He had Niners players espousing comparisons to Tom Brady, and giddily talking about his "different aura." More importantly, his arrival in San Francisco made playing hella more fun for his teammates.

Garoppolo's leadership and talent caused the greatest coach in NFL history, Bill Belichick, to balk at getting rid of the quarterback before he absolutely had to make a move. As colleague Chris Wesseling eloquently detailed, Belichick envisioned Jimmy G as the perfect post-Brady quarterback. Only TB12 stiff-arming Father Time caused a ripple in that plan.

This is what I posted in the goofy facebook thread---that there was no way the owners of the 49ers were going to sell Kirk Cousins after everyone had seen JG.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when 6 straight wins had ESPN claiming nobody wanted to face the Buffalo Bills,.  Then in the final week of the season the Steelers rolled into town and all the Bills needed to do was win and they were in the playoffs.  The Steelers steam rolled and crushed the Bills with their backup players.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

This is what I posted in the goofy facebook thread---that there was no way the owners of the 49ers were going to sell Kirk Cousins after everyone had seen JG.

The fact that people were seriously discussing the OP as if it was anywhere near the realm of possibility is pretty sad and hilarious.  SF found their guy and it should have been obvious to anyone who actually watched him play with the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Garopolo wasn't franchised.  SF wouldn't be the laughing stock of the league.

That award will go to the team that pays Cousins his ransom.  What team is in the position to give Cousins a bigger contract than JG?

And doesn't this say something about the market for Cousins?  SF didn't even bother to franchise JG--they just backed up the truck and paid him a ton, rather than give that money to Cousins.

Pre- Cousins, it would've been a no brainer to franchise Garropolo and make him prove it for more than 5 games before making him highest paid player in the game.  Garropolo probably would've accepted the tag and signed a long term deal if he had a good year.  Now, QB's and agents can point to Cousins and say 'if you don't believe in me to pay me now you can franchise me but I'll never sign a long term deal with you and you can watch me walk out the door in 2 years'.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Pre- Cousins, it would've been a no brainer to franchise Garropolo and make him prove it for more than 5 games before making him highest paid player in the game.  Garropolo probably would've accepted the tag and signed a long term deal if he had a good year.  Now, QB's and agents can point to Cousins and say 'if you don't believe in me to pay me now you can franchise me but I'll never sign a long term deal with you and you can watch me walk out the door in 2 years'.  

The 49ers placed value on Garoppolo as the long term solution at going rates which is something that was never the case with Washington and Cousins.

The Patriots could of traded away Tom Brady's replacement. If it comes back to haunt them it's a win.

The 49ers bet the largest stack ever on a QB. If they got that wrong it will make for a good story and that's also a win.

It's gonna be entertaining however it ends up. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 49ers placed value on Garoppolo as the long term solution at going rates which is something that was never the case with Washington and Cousins.

I don't care if you think he's the 2nd coming of Brady, it's not sound business to make him the highest paid player in the NFL after 7 starts.  I'm sure their hand was forced since Garoppolo and his agent were promising them the Cousins treatment if he got tagged, but it's still bad business.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1