PFF: How the Vikings Might Handle Their QB Dilemma

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Vikings might handle their QB situation by voting "None of the Above" and making a play for Cousins or Foles?

It puzzles me that pundits look at Bortles and expect the Jags to move on, but don't look at Keenum and say the same. 

Yes, this year he threw a lot of TD and minimized INT but he's 29 and it's the first year his completion percentage has risen above "Bortles like" and his TD/INT has been good.  One might make an argument that he disappeared against good D, especially outside and especially in the NFC championship against the Eagles.

Thrown completion percentage in the high to mid 60s, >25 TD/season, TD/INT of >2, 7.8 AY/A for three solid seasons at times behind a leaky OL and with "who? what? huh?" playing WR.

Flip the question, what have Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum done that gives you any indication they are as capable as QB as Cousins?

Exactly.  None of them have. Cousins is hardly a sure thing.  I cannot see any sane GM jettisoning those three for Cousins. Making a move like that is truly a boom or bust scenario that I dont think any GM would do.

I think Minnesota like Bridgewater and will sign him to a show me deal.  Than they will make a decent offer to Keenum than Bradford.  I think Bridewater most likley stays and than if Keenum takes less money to stay  he is the guy if he wants a big Deal he goes FA.  If that happen they go with Bradford.  I think 2 Qbs stay and one goes.  Keenum or Bradford will most likley be  one of the guys that leaves.

31 minutes ago, simool said:

Exactly.  None of them have. Cousins is hardly a sure thing.  I cannot see any sane GM jettisoning those three for Cousins. Making a move like that is truly a boom or bust scenario that I dont think any GM would do.

Um, not exactly .... the point I was making i that "none of them have" given any indication they are as capable a QB as Cousins over the long term.  I take it you disagree, and think that "none of them" includes Cousins, but we do disagree.

I agree that letting all 3 guys walk for Cousins would be a "big stones" move.  It's one of those "hard eyed assessment" things, like where KC knew Alex Smith was a very good QB with a handful of years left on him, but he's not taking you all the way to the championship so you make a bold move for Mahomes  then another bold move to trade Smith before M has proven himself. 

It all depends upon the Vike's assessment of Keenum and his performance in the NFC championship game.  He certainly played "out of his mind" against N'Orleans. 

My perception of Keenum is that he doesn't have the precision in passing that you want from a top guy.  He's making a lot of completions because Thielen and Diggs and Rudolph were willing to lay themselves out and take the big hits to go after his throws.  Keenum isn't going to stay for a "decent offer".  Some QB desperate team is going to offer him Osweiler money or even Smith dollars.  If the Vikes watch film on Cousins and think he can thread the needle that Keenum can't, maybe they bite.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, not exactly .... the point I was making i that "none of them have" given any indication they are as capable a QB as Cousins over the long term.  I take it you disagree, and think that "none of them" includes Cousins, but we do disagree.

I agree that letting all 3 guys walk for Cousins would be a "big stones" move.  It's one of those "hard eyed assessment" things, like where KC knew Alex Smith was a very good QB with a handful of years left on him, but he's not taking you all the way to the championship so you make a bold move for Mahomes  then another bold move to trade Smith before M has proven himself. 

It all depends upon the Vike's assessment of Keenum and his performance in the NFC championship game.  He certainly played "out of his mind" against N'Orleans. 

My perception of Keenum is that he doesn't have the precision in passing that you want from a top guy.  He's making a lot of completions because Thielen and Diggs and Rudolph were willing to lay themselves out and take the big hits to go after his throws.  Keenum isn't going to stay for a "decent offer".  Some QB desperate team is going to offer him Osweiler money or even Smith dollars.  If the Vikes watch film on Cousins and think he can thread the needle that Keenum can't, maybe they bite.

If Cousins was as good as you make him out to be, Washington would have signed him to a long term deal two seasons ago or been able to make a trade for him.

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

In layman's terms, since Teddy was placed on the PUP list in the final year of his contract, it is possible that the Vikings can "toll" or delay the final year of his contract to 2018. Think of it similarly to a medical redshirt for a player in college. The contract in this scenario remains very favorable for the Vikings as the rate would be the same as his 2017 rate would be ($1.345 million). Under the premise of the rule as it is written above, Teddy would be under contract for the 2018 season

This makes a lot more sense that having a player drafted, injured and becoming a free agent and I am surprised it does not happen more often.

6 hours ago, simool said:

If Cousins was as good as you make him out to be, Washington would have signed him to a long term deal two seasons ago or been able to make a trade for him.

It may be Washington's front office was not good enough to get a deal or too greedy.

*WHAT Washington's owner is greedy? What a surprise!*

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This makes a lot more sense that having a player drafted, injured and becoming a free agent and I am surprised it does not happen more often.

It may be Washington's front office was not good enough to get a deal or too greedy.

*WHAT Washington's owner is greedy? What a surprise!*

Could be... Time will tell.

Vikes OC won't leave 'stone unturned' in QB hunt

After coaching regular-season MVP candidate Carson Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles in Philadelphia last season, new Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo suddenly finds himself in the unfamiliar position of leading Minnesota's search for a quarterback.

The Vikes' brain trust has important decisions to make with incumbent starter Case Keenum, veteran Sam Bradford and wild-card Teddy Bridgewater all slated for free agency in March.

Will the quarterback-needy team be backed into the franchise tag for Keenum? Is the intriguing-yet-brittle Bradford a realistic alternative? Will an independent arbitrator end up ruling that Bridgewater's rookie contract tolls into 2018 as a result of time spent on the physically unable to perform list last year?

On 2/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Vikings might handle their QB situation by voting "None of the Above" and making a play for Cousins or Foles?

It puzzles me that pundits look at Bortles and expect the Jags to move on, but don't look at Keenum and say the same. 

Yes, this year he threw a lot of TD and minimized INT but he's 29 and it's the first year his completion percentage has risen above "Bortles like" and his TD/INT has been good.  One might make an argument that he disappeared against good D, especially outside and especially in the NFC championship against the Eagles.

Thrown completion percentage in the high to mid 60s, >25 TD/season, TD/INT of >2, 7.8 AY/A for three solid seasons at times behind a leaky OL and with "who? what? huh?" playing WR.

Flip the question, what have Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum done that gives you any indication they are as capable as QB as Cousins?

No. I said something similar in the Cousins thread. 

The vikings just make way too much sense. They have like $53 million in cap space, which is good for 7th best in the NFL. They have the #1 defense, numerous (very) good playmakers on offense (who I also believe are relatively young?). They're ready to compete for a Super Bowl again next season, and for seasons to come.

Cousins could step right in and compete for a championship. Seems like a pretty great landing spot for him IMO. And if you're the Viks, why not go for him? You have that tampering window. See if he's interested, if not go after Keenum/Bridgewater/Foles etc. 

As much as I'd love Cousins and hope like crazy the Bills get him, I think Minnesota is where he goes if they're interested. Minnesota or maybe Denver, but I think the Vikings could be higher on his list. 

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No. I said something similar in the Cousins thread. 

The vikings just make way too much sense. They have like $53 million in cap space, which is good for 7th best in the NFL. They have the #1 defense, numerous (very) good playmakers on offense (who I also believe are relatively young?). They're ready to compete for a Super Bowl again next season, and for seasons to come.

Cousins could step right in and compete for a championship. Seems like a pretty great landing spot for him IMO. And if you're the Viks, why not go for him? You have that tampering window. See if he's interested, if not go after Keenum/Bridgewater/Foles etc. 

As much as I'd love Cousins and hope like crazy the Bills get him, I think Minnesota is where he goes if they're interested. Minnesota or maybe Denver, but I think the Vikings could be higher on his list. 

Do you think there is any chance at all that the Eagles would deal Foles to the Vikings as one of the primary threats to win the NFC?  I don't.  I can see definitely the Vikings making a play for Cousins. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do you think there is any chance at all that the Eagles would deal Foles to the Vikings as one of the primary threats to win the NFC?  I don't  I can see definitely the Vikings making a play for Cousins. 

Good point. 

Yeah I don't see that deal happening now that you mention it. I do think they make a lot of sense for Cousins though. 

I think they'd probably just stick with Keenum anyway, if it came down to him or Foles. He wouldn't cost any assets and they're obviously very familiar with him (as opposed to more of an unknown in Foles). Plus he has chemistry with his teammates already. 

Im not sure how big of an upgrade one is over the other, and both have had their ups and downs. Neither is what I'd call "proven". 

Ill definitrly be inteested tomsee what the Vikings do at QB. 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

With all the stats you threw out on Cousisns, he only made the playoffs 1 season and was knocked out early, Also the Redksins have one of the best OL in football, for the past couple of years now actually. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

I agree his stats say he is a top flight QB, his comp % is excellent, I personally think he'd be an upgrade there but that OL is a major downgrade from Washington to Minny.

Cousins numbers and situation are very similar to Brees' last few years in San Diego.   3500 yard range, 25 td, a dozen picks.  QbR in the 90's range.  Good competitor with big upside in the right system.   

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They also play in a dome which is a big plus to someone with his style of play but he would have to deal with 2 potentially cold away division games each year - Green Bay and Chicago.

What they should do is pretty simple. Pay Keenum and let the other two walk. I'd have had a longer look and see at Bridgewater in one of their final 2 regular season games than they did if I loved him as much as the folks in Minny do. 

I fear for them that their love for Teddy will cause them to balls this up with some sort of "open competition" in camp after signing both of them.

Case Keenum is your starter. Pay him like a starter and be done with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:28 PM, cba fan said:

Vikings are Super Bowl contenders.

Who gives them best chance to win it? Cousins. I would go after him.

While I think this is true, signing Cousins may be a double edged sword as anything less than a SB after reaching the conference championship will be viewed as no progress at best. And after signing what will probably a record deal, how will teammates and fans alike view that outcome? 

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

While I think this is true, signing Cousins may be a double edged sword as anything less than a SB after reaching the conference championship will be viewed as no progress at best. And after signing what will probably a record deal, how will teammates and fans alike view that outcome? 

You are assuming they don't make it.

I am not. The starts are aligned for MN. QB is the missing link.

38 minutes ago, cba fan said:

You are assuming they don't make it.

I am not. The starts are aligned for MN. QB is the missing link.

I’m not really assuming anything, the Vikes could just as well win it all, too. All I’m saying is that after a conference championship appearance, anything less than a repeat and a win to advance to the SB will be considered a let down. I imagine there will be a certain pressure that comes with being the highest paid player in history and that compounds the expectations as well.

• Like (+1) 2