PFF: How the Vikings Might Handle Their QB Dilemma

27 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Why would Bridgewater be open to being a backup?  A QB needy team will take a chance if the knee passes an exam.

Immediately after the their season was over he said he sees himself as a starter even if it means going to another team. 

They will likely have Bradford be the odd man out, he simply can't stay healthy, he might also command the most money of the trio. Keenum might have been a one hit wonder but it should be fairly affordable to get him back, Teddy's knee exploded but I think they will bring him back as plan B.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They will likely have Bradford be the odd man out, he simply can't stay healthy, he might also command the most money of the trio. Keenum might have been a one hit wonder but it should be fairly affordable to get him back, Teddy's knee exploded but I think they will bring him back as plan B.

Pretty sure they are all UFAs and can go anywhere they choose. Bridgewater wants to start as already mentioned, and for that matter Bradford and Keenum want to be starters as well I assume. They probably can't keep more than 1.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Turk71 said:

Pretty sure they are all UFAs and can go anywhere they choose. Bridgewater wants to start as already mentioned, and for that matter Bradford and Keenum want to be starters as well I assume. They probably can't keep more than 1.

I know they are all free agents, I am just speculating where they could go based off of what the Vikings would want and what could be in their best interests. 

I am not sure Bridgewater gets a chance to start. He didn't light it up to begin with, his last full season he threw for 14 TD's and 9 INT's hardly anything great. What team is going to offer a starting job to him outright esp after his !@#$ing knee exploded to the point where he missed a full season and a part of another? I think if the Vikings offer Teddy the chance to compete with Keenum that's about as good as Bridgewater is going to get. Keenum is a very vulnerable as an incumbent and what other teams are going to be lining up for Teddy to be a starter? 

If our web plan is draft, then I think all 3 will be too much to obtain as a bridge QB. We may be willing to pay it for a 2 year deal, which they all should take. 

None of them have proven they can be a long term answer between durability and previous success. 

I think the Vikings keep Keenum and Bridgewater.  

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I know they are all free agents, I am just speculating where they could go based off of what the Vikings would want and what could be in their best interests. 

I am not sure Bridgewater gets a chance to start. He didn't light it up to begin with, his last full season he threw for 14 TD's and 9 INT's hardly anything great. What team is going to offer a starting job to him outright esp after his !@#$ing knee exploded to the point where he missed a full season and a part of another? I think if the Vikings offer Teddy the chance to compete with Keenum that's about as good as Bridgewater is going to get. Keenum is a very vulnerable as an incumbent and what other teams are going to be lining up for Teddy to be a starter? 

you may be right, but quite a few teams need qbs. I think he is a big risk and won t command too big of a salary. Somebody will pay Keenum. I agree with Bradford being gone. Big offseason.

Bradford would be a nice short term while the draft pick QB sits and learns.   We can't assume we go into  the season starting a rookie so I think if the asking price is right around 7-8 mill  a season we sign him up for a short 2-3 year contract and let the rookie watch until he's ready.

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. -- If Teddy Bridgewater's contract is tolled for the 2018 season, it won't be a decision that's made by the Minnesota Vikings.

According to general manager Rick Spielman, Bridgewater is "technically ready to become a free agent," but there remains the prospect that the Vikings quarterback could have his contract tolled for next season, meaning he would play for the same $1.354 million he earned in 2017, because of the time he spent on the physically unable to perform list for the first six weeks of the season during the last year of his rookie contract.

In layman's terms, since Teddy was placed on the PUP list in the final year of his contract, it is possible that the Vikings can "toll" or delay the final year of his contract to 2018. Think of it similarly to a medical redshirt for a player in college. The contract in this scenario remains very favorable for the Vikings as the rate would be the same as his 2017 rate would be ($1.345 million). Under the premise of the rule as it is written above, Teddy would be under contract for the 2018 season

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If I'm Spielman, I dont keep any of them. That team is built for a Super Bowl, albeit with an aging defense. I do everything I need to in order to get Cousins, then I draft all defense this year.

What has Cousins EVER done to give you ANY indication he is more capable of producing a Super Bowl than one of those three?

Am I the only one who thinks the Vikings might handle their QB situation by voting "None of the Above" and making a play for Cousins or Foles?

It puzzles me that pundits look at Bortles and expect the Jags to move on, but don't look at Keenum and say the same. 

Yes, this year he threw a lot of TD and minimized INT but he's 29 and it's the first year his completion percentage has risen above "Bortles like" and his TD/INT has been good.  One might make an argument that he disappeared against good D, especially outside and especially in the NFC championship against the Eagles.

5 minutes ago, simool said:

What has Cousins EVER done to give you ANY indication he is more capable of producing a Super Bowl than one of those three?

Thrown completion percentage in the high to mid 60s, >25 TD/season, TD/INT of >2, 7.8 AY/A for three solid seasons at times behind a leaky OL and with "who? what? huh?" playing WR.

Flip the question, what have Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum done that gives you any indication they are as capable as QB as Cousins?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Vikings might handle their QB situation by voting "None of the Above" and making a play for Cousins or Foles?

It puzzles me that pundits look at Bortles and expect the Jags to move on, but don't look at Keenum and say the same. 

Yes, this year he threw a lot of TD and minimized INT but he's 29 and it's the first year his completion percentage has risen above "Bortles like" and his TD/INT has been good.  One might make an argument that he disappeared against good D, especially outside and especially in the NFC championship against the Eagles.

The correlation is spot on.  

I heard some news the other day that may make the Jags think hard when dealing with a injury settlement  because Blake Bortles undergoes surgery  on his wrist

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-reportedly-had-wrist-surgery-which-could-affect-his-contract/

Ordinarily a team's starting quarterback undergoing surgery on the wrist of his throwing hand would be an interesting enough development, but it is made even more interesting by Bortles' contract situation. 

The Jaguars picked up Bortles' $19 million fifth-year option last offseason, but the option is guaranteed only for injury. In other words, if Bortles is still injured by the first day of the new league year, that $19 million will count against Jacksonville's 2018 books no matter what

ouch 

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thrown completion percentage in the high to mid 60s, >25 TD/season, TD/INT of >2, 7.8 AY/A for three solid seasons at times behind a leaky OL and with "who? what? huh?" playing WR.

Flip the question, what have Bradford, Bridgewater, and Keenum done that gives you any indication they are as capable as QB as Cousins?

With all the stats you threw out on Cousisns, he only made the playoffs 1 season and was knocked out early, Also the Redksins have one of the best OL in football, for the past couple of years now actually. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

I agree his stats say he is a top flight QB, his comp % is excellent, I personally think he'd be an upgrade there but that OL is a major downgrade from Washington to Minny.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The correlation is spot on. 

I heard some news the other day that may make the Jags think hard when dealing with a injury settlement  because Blake Bortles undergoes surgery  on his wrist

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-reportedly-had-wrist-surgery-which-could-affect-his-contract/

Ordinarily a team's starting quarterback undergoing surgery on the wrist of his throwing hand would be an interesting enough development, but it is made even more interesting by Bortles' contract situation. 

The Jaguars picked up Bortles' $19 million fifth-year option last offseason, but the option is guaranteed only for injury. In other words, if Bortles is still injured by the first day of the new league year, that $19 million will count against Jacksonville's 2018 books no matter what

Meh, the press is at least being less "soap-opera" like about this coverage, but it's the same thing as was "puffed up" after Taylor's groin surgery repair.

It's hard to even find any speculation, much less hard info, about what the surgery was and what the expected recovery timeline is, but a torn ligament surgically repaired I would think would be 8 weeks for the repair to heal and be assessed, then rehab.

How do they not keep Keenum? Offer him an incentive deal.

Bradford is a liability that the Vikings shouldn't have to invest in.  He's damaged goods heading into his 9th season.

Bridgewater would be a safe bet as a game manager type, low wattage guy (at best)---IF they still had AP in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

With all the stats you threw out on Cousisns, he only made the playoffs 1 season and was knocked out early, Also the Redksins have one of the best OL in football, for the past couple of years now actually. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

I agree his stats say he is a top flight QB, his comp % is excellent, I personally think he'd be an upgrade there but that OL is a major downgrade from Washington to Minny.

Making the playoffs is kind of a team effort, wouldn't you say?  Even Wonderdude (aka Aaron Rodgers) and Wonderboy (aka Drew Brees) don't make the playoffs when the rest of the team sucks.

Do you really think PFF's offensive line rankings have much relationship to reality?  I'm very skeptical.  IMHO, offensive line is as offensive line does, and PFF doesn't seem to match the "eyeball test" or match to actual team offensive performance very often.

If you want a metric for OL performance, try Cold Hard Football Facts Offensive Hog Index for 2017, which correctly (I think) puts Minnesota at #7 and Washington at #31.  It has its flaws, but IME it is a better match to the reality of how offensive lines actually seem to be working when you watch them.

I don't understand the PFF love, myself, outside Fantasy Football addicts.

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

you may be right, but quite a few teams need qbs. I think he is a big risk and won t command too big of a salary. Somebody will pay Keenum. I agree with Bradford being gone. Big offseason.

I think Keenum will get paid on a big 2 year deal with the Vikings, he had a good year but not a great year. I think Keenum kind of knows that he has a good amount of weapons in Minnesota (Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, and maybe Dalvin Cook if he recovers from injury) with a pretty solid offensive line and the Vikings defense being really good helps him play in his more conservative style more. 

I think Bridgewater also gets hurt by Bradford and Cousins being a free agent (Tyrod, Foles, and Bortles might also be out on the market) and there are a lot of other decent vet QB's out on the market and 3 QB's are going high in the draft. If there weren't that many QB's out there on the market I would actually think Teddy could get a good shot at a starting slot but with Alex Smith filling the Skins QB slot and Jimmy G filling the 49ers spot and several other higher end QB's out on the market I don't see where Teddy gets a better shot than competing with Keenum who is a shaky incumbent.