Official: Colts Hire Frank Reich as their New HC - Signs Five Year Deal

Colts' 2nd head-coaching hire of offseason Frank Reich says, 'Backup role has suited me well'

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22425245/frank-reich-no-problem-ending-indianapolis-colts-backup-plan-coach

Frank Reich is ready to embrace being the backup option again.

He spent the majority of his 14-year NFL playing career as a backup quarterback. And he's the Indianapolis Colts' second choice for head coach after Josh McDaniels reneged on his agreement at the very last minute.

"The backup role has suited me well in my career," Reich said as he drew a roomful of laughs during his introductory news conference at Lucas Oil Stadium on Tuesday.

"We don't always choose what happens to us, but what we get a chance to do is choose how we react to it," Ballard said. "I really believe that's what shows what we're made of. I can't be more proud of our organization, the city of Indy and how they've handled this last week. Can't be any more proud of our new head coach Frank Reich."

Ballard had Reich on his initial list of nearly 10 candidates back in December, but Reich didn't make the general manager's top-five list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/frank-reich-answers-awkward-josh-mcdaniels-question-dominates-first-colts-presser/

Frank Reich answers awkward Josh McDaniels question, dominates first Colts presser

One thing Reich did reveal during his press conference is that he had zero interest in any other coaching jobs around the NFL. Once the playoffs started, Reich told his agent not to contact him about any possible coaching jobs until the Eagles season was over. 

"I'm going dark," Reich said. "I'm focused on the task at hand and that's to help our team win playoff games and the Super Bowl. No phone calls, no texts. Whether there was any activity or not, I was dark. I was focused on one thing."

Maybe McDaniels and Matt Patricia should have done the same?

Link without double redirect:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/13/frank-reich-indianapolis-colts-head-coach?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I’ve compared Reich to Tony Dungy in temperament and in knowledge and imagination on his side of the ball. Like all good coaches, he understands the chess match of the game, and in the Super Bowl, he knew that the plays he brought to head coach Doug Pederson—

Reich was in charge of the gameplan, Pederson could veto any plays that Reich had in the gameplan and then Pederson called the game—had to be original. “Every idea is open,” Reich said to me on Saturday.

Edited by Limeaid
added quote

23 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Exactly. I have a feeling the Colts will wind up being very happy that McDaniels bailed on them. Congrats to Frank Reich! We all know career backup QBs make the best coaches.

Totally agree.  Frank will be a much better NFL head-coach than McDaniels.  And, as a Bills fan, it's great to see Reich get a head coaching job.  And it's also great that we keep Frazier at DC!!

Wow! The Colts hired Rusty Jones out of retirement.

Rusty Jones: Jones has 28 years of NFL experience with the Chicago Bears (2005-2012) and Buffalo Bills (1985-2004). A pioneer in the strength and conditioning field, Jones was named the recipient of the 2016 NFL strength and conditioning Lifetime Achievement award.

Jones was named 2006 National Professional Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society in February of 2007. The award recognized his proficiency at enacting his renowned conditioning and nutrition program upon his arrival in Chicago.

As one of the most well-respected strength, conditioning and nutrition experts in the business, Jones’ philosophy focuses on designing specific nutritional and workout programs for each individual player on the roster to maximize their performance while maintaining year-round health. His approach takes nutrition and body composition down to the molecular level and is based on what players do at their position.

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wow! The Colts hired Rusty Jones out of retirement.

Rusty Jones: Jones has 28 years of NFL experience with the Chicago Bears (2005-2012) and Buffalo Bills (1985-2004). A pioneer in the strength and conditioning field, Jones was named the recipient of the 2016 NFL strength and conditioning Lifetime Achievement award.

Jones was named 2006 National Professional Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by the Professional Football Strength and Conditioning Coaches Society in February of 2007. The award recognized his proficiency at enacting his renowned conditioning and nutrition program upon his arrival in Chicago.

As one of the most well-respected strength, conditioning and nutrition experts in the business, Jones’ philosophy focuses on designing specific nutritional and workout programs for each individual player on the roster to maximize their performance while maintaining year-round health. His approach takes nutrition and body composition down to the molecular level and is based on what players do at their position.

Damn I have been advocating Bills sign him as a consultant since he retired from Bears.

He left the Bills because he was not hands on enough with promotion - I wonder if he will be more hands on with this director position?

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Damn I have been advocating Bills sign him as a consultant since he retired from Bears.

He left the Bills because he was not hands on enough with promotion - I wonder if he will be more hands on with this director position?

...his "era" was probably the best healthwise in the club's history...............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...his "era" was probably the best healthwise in the club's history...............

Yes when Ruben went to Bears he told them that Rusty was unhappy there after promotion and to get him.

Chicago at time had a lot of players with soft injuries and for next few years number of injuries went down while injuries for Bills went up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916582/article/steelers-shouldnt-pay-leveon-bell-johnny-manziels-best-path

REICH MAN FOR THE JOB: Why the Colts ended up with the perfect coach

The Indianapolis Colts didn't land their first choice as a head coach, but they might've lucked into a better option to build a championship team. While most of the talk in Indy has centered on Andrew Luck and the uncertainty surrounding his health and game, I believe Frank Reich's commitment to building a true team will give the Colts a chance to win at a high level, with or without No. 12 on the field.

"This game isn't built on any one player," Reich said at his introductory press conference on Tuesday. "[Luck] is magical. He is special. He has unique traits and abilities that I respect as much as anybody. I can't wait to work with him. But if we're going to win a Super Bowl -- and that's a plan -- it's going to be about surrounding our whole team and about how we're going to bring about the best in each other."

Now, I know that sounds like pie-in-the-sky optimism that runs counter to the "quarterback is everything" conversation that normally takes place, but football is a team game where the supporting cast routinely elevates the play of the quarterback. As I've stated on many occasions, quarterbacks are categorized as either "trucks" (QB carries the team) or "trailers" (team carries the QB), with the overwhelming majority of the league falling into the latter category.