Official: Colts Hire Frank Reich as their New HC - Signs Five Year Deal

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
The Colts should give Frank Reich a serious look. Can help Luck (or whoever is the QB), has play-calling experience, just won a SB as part of a tremendous offensive coaching effort by Philly, and was part of their organization for 4 years, including an AFC title season.

I agree completely as was being discussed in another thread.  Any team with a QB needing "tuning" or a new QB should consider Frank.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Have been saying this for years. Reich deserves a HC gig. Hard worker, dedicated, #lunchpail. 

Not just hard worker - smart and creative coach who builds consensuses. 

• Like (+1) 1

If they are looking to hire a HC from the offensive side of things, I don't think there's a much better candidate floating around, as it were.

McDaniels might have done the Colts a big favor, tbh, should they do that, as I think Reich would be a better guy to get the most out of Luck, than McDaniels, as I think McDaniels wants a Brady mk2 as his QB, and Luck is much more of a Manning 'type', but with a lot more mobility. I see Reich as way more adaptable than McDaniels, when it comes to types of offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Wonder if the 3 coaches McDaniels wanted hired in Indy still stay.  Indy is shaky  at best. 

Just saw a video on NFL Network that said they have all signed contracts and were already breaking down film expecting to work with McDaniels.

That's a tough situation right there. Unless you have praise for the people already in place why would any candidate take a HC gig with personnel already in place that he did not hand pick? 

There are only 32 spots in the world and their hard to get. Somebody will emerge from the shadows but don't expect a big name candidate.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

The Colts are becoming a complete "Shhh!t Show" of an organization. If I'm Frank, I would wait one more year for a better gig.

This doesn't make Indy a "Shhh!t Show"...   Not in my mind anyway.  It reflects badly on McDaniels, not Irsay.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KGun12TD said:

The Colts are becoming a complete "Shhh!t Show" of an organization. If I'm Frank, I would wait one more year for a better gig.

I think McDaniels is kind of a "Shi* Show" of a HC candidate.  Stunk in Denver (and had another videotaping scandal there), and gets cold feet because he's afraid he'll get exposed away from Brady.   Dude lacks confidence.  I'll be surprised if he gets offered another HC gig (except Pats**, but have fun w/ that after Brady retires).  

I am watching the press conference with Colts GM, Chris Ballard right now and he is doing a GREAT job! Talking about the Edwin Jackson tragedy, the Josh McDaniels situation, Andrew Luck, etc...

He is very well spoken, took the blame for announcing "too early" and has a positive attitude rather than a finger pointing pity party. He is definitely earning my respect. Kudos!

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am watching the press conference with Colts GM, Chris Ballard right now and he is doing a GREAT job! Talking about the Edwin Jackson tragedy, the Josh McDaniels situation, Andrew Luck, etc...

He is very well spoken, took the blame for announcing "too early" and has a positive attitude rather than a finger pointing pity party. He is definitely earning my respect. Kudos!

Yeah that guy is an amazing public speaker. He could pretty much sell anything. I'm 4 minutes into the press conference and he almost has me convinced this is a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yea. Took every step to save face for the franchise by takin the brunt of the media shotgun blast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah that guy is an amazing public speaker. He could pretty much sell anything. I'm 4 minutes into the press conference and he almost has me convinced this is a good thing. 

I didn't need any convincing it's a good thing, McDaniels hasn't really done anything outside of NE as a HC. They can certainly find better

As for Reich, I don't get the love outside of him being a former beloved Bills backup. He was let go in SD, goes to Philly where I believe the HC calls the plays and people keep talking about how great he is and would be a good option for a HC. I just don't see where he has shown he would be great at it. Not saying he wouldn't be, but what has he done that's so great as a co-ordinator?

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm Frank Reich or really any NFL coach, I let Irsays call go straight to voicemail and forget to call back. Sorry but there is no way I would take the job right now. Now before the "Well there's only 32 of these positions" people chime in let me retort with a different number. There's only ONE career. Ask Mike Pettine or Chud about going to such a dysfunctional situation. Going to Indy at this late stage of the hiring process is career suicide.

As head coach of the Colts you get:

- A possible franchise QB with a murkey future at this point.

- One of the most untrustable owners in the NFL

- To be known as the guy that only got the job because someone else turned it down

- A severely reduced coaching pool to assemble a staff from

- A roster full of holes

Just a no win situation. Indy will find someone to hire and most likely in 2-3 years they will be somewhat better, but whoever they hire here is nothing more than a "bridge coach".

The coach they end up with will either be a guy that is nowhere near ready but taking the job to accelerate his options (much like Pettine) or someone that flamed out and needs to rebuild his resume (much like Chud who should have had more time.)

One name that they may be able to get that would be, I think a nice hire...Jack Del Rio. I know the rumors about them wanting to hire an offensive guy, but Del Rio would be a nice "get" at this stage I think.

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

One name that they may be able to get that would be, I think a nice hire...Jack Del Rio. I know the rumors about them wanting to hire an offensive guy, but Del Rio would be a nice "get" at this stage I think.

Yeah, I am surprised he has not gotten more love during the head coach hiring circus. He only got let go because of Gruden, not necessarily because he did a bad job.