Refs miss obvious illegal formation penalty on Foles TD catch

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Usually it's because they neglect to ask, as was the case with Seantrel.

Ultimately it’s a few humans regulating the actions of a whole lot of humans. It won’t always be perfect or perfectly consistent - but hopefully it’s fair. In this case it was incredibly fair. 

As a fan, if you are seeking a PERFECT to the letter of the book game — you’ll never see it. And I don’t think you’d enjoy it all that much if you did.

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

If the bobbled catch and the illegal formation make it a harder on the Pats and their fans I'm all for it. Make this thing as painful as possible. Keep reviewing those tapes I'm sure they missed

a holding or two!

No waay !

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, here's the youtube clip.  Look at it with the sound off.  Especially the view at 0:31.

I think what people see is being influenced by the announcers.

What I see is that Clement has the ball caught between his R hand, his L arm, and his body.  He never bobbles it, ball never wobbles or starts to "pop up".  Both feet down.  Now, from the front, it looks like he has control, and he shifts it to his L arm so it will "survive the ground", steps OOB, and goes to the ground cradling the ball between his L hand and body.  It is allowed to manipulate the ball after you catch it!  You can cover it up, shift it from one arm to another, so forth.  Especially, the guy is an RB, that's what they're coached to do, shift the ball from one arm to another if it will better protect it from being knocked out by a defender as they go to the ground.

Collinsworth, looking at it from the side where you can't tell what is going on with Clement's hands, starts talking about how he starts to "lose control" then steps out before he recovers.  That's BS, Clement never loses control, he shifts the ball from his R hand to his L so as he goes down, he contacts first with his R arm and protects the ball with his L hand, arm, and body. 

I will admit, I thought it would be overturned, but that wasn't because I thought it should be overturned, it's because I've thought there have been outrageous overturns all season.

Chris talked it up. It was awkward but i did feel confident he had it.
Some of these folks viewing slo mo,  they want Recs to put a ribbon on it. or something. I had to see it more than once to in replay. but at the time of the call. catch

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, here's the youtube clip.  Look at it with the sound off.  Especially the view at 0:31.

I think what people see is being influenced by the announcers.

What I see is that Clement has the ball caught between his R hand, his L arm, and his body.  He never bobbles it, ball never wobbles or starts to "pop up".  Both feet down.  Now, from the front, it looks like he has control, and he shifts it to his L arm so it will "survive the ground", steps OOB, and goes to the ground cradling the ball between his L hand and body.  It is allowed to manipulate the ball after you catch it!  You can cover it up, shift it from one arm to another, so forth.  Especially, the guy is an RB, that's what they're coached to do, shift the ball from one arm to another if it will better protect it from being knocked out by a defender as they go to the ground.

Collinsworth, looking at it from the side where you can't tell what is going on with Clement's hands, starts talking about how he starts to "lose control" then steps out before he recovers.  That's BS, Clement never loses control, he shifts the ball from his R hand to his L so as he goes down, he contacts first with his R arm and protects the ball with his L hand, arm, and body. 

I will admit, I thought it would be overturned, but that wasn't because I thought it should be overturned, it's because I've thought there have been outrageous overturns all season.

look at 41 sec mark. dark line where left toe drags before it hits white. This was after he put it in left arm secure and right foot was down then left foot down.

42 minutes ago, MPT said:

How can one bring the football to his body if one does not already have control of it? "Bringing it to his body" is Riveron's asinine explanation that has never, and will never again, be relevant to a catch. Receivers catch the ball with their hands all the time without then bringing the ball to their body. Benjamin is the only receiver to have ever been held to a standard of "securing it to his body" in addition to catching it. His back foot was also still dragging when he brought the ball to his body, so that explanation doesn't even make any sense. It was a Patriots call, plain and simple. 

Speaking of Patriots calls, how embarrassing is it that their fanbase is riled up about an illegal formation call that wasn't even illegal? THAT'S the worst call they can choose to complain about. The Patriots had two touchdown drives made possible by ridiculous holding calls, and the play before Foles' TD reception was blatant pass interference against the Patriots that was just ignored. That's a potential 18-point swing (and 14-point actual swing) in favor of the Patriots due to referee bias. 

Illegal formation? GTFO. 

That is bull.

If you watch the Benjamin play - he does not catch it cleanly in his hands and bring it to his body.  The ball hits his hands (no control) and bounces toward his body.  It is not until he secures it to his body with his left arm that he gains control.  If he cleanly catches it with his hands it is a TD, but he does not.  

Looking at his toe at that point it is questionable whether it touches the ground or not once the ball is secured.  The issue is deciding the exact moment of control.  If you give him control the absolute very second it gets to his body the toe is maybe touching - if you extend that even a fraction of a second - it is not.

I think they got the call right - it sucks, but it was a close play and if Benjamin just catches the ball it is easy, but he does not catch it cleanly.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Exactly how it looks to me.  

What's the rule exactly?  He's at most a half yard behind the RT.  The entire line is a full yard or so off the ball, so does he have to be within a yard of the ball, or a the tackle at the end of the line?   I honestly don't know, but this alignment doesn't seem any more egregious than you see every Sunday in the league.   It's the very definition of much ado about nothing.

Right.  The way that teams line up they could force every teams tackles to move up, they dont.  The Wr split farthest is at mercy of the line judge and as long that they are close to the tackle they are fine.  Foles motion and he is a wing and not even with the Wr further shows he is not too far off the line.  There is a grey area  but Its like traveling in the NBA its not called unless its egregious IE covering an eligable reciever.    

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

The missed helmet to helmet hit on Cooks was a bigger play than this crap.

Its not college there is no rule of helment to helment on a runner.  Cooks made a move lost track of where he was and cut back right into Jenkins.  Clean hit.  College it could have beem seen as targeting, but at some point an offensive player is responsible for avoiding would be tacklers.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There was no missed helmet to helmet hit.  He was clearly a runner at that point.  Helmet to helmet not a foul on runner.

Coining it helmet to helmet instead of keying more on the defenseless player aspect was interesting to see fans struggle with the last several years

How they deliver rules during broadcasts has hurt the league as much as just about anything in the last decade. Better education for announcers would go a looooong way to fans understanding and in turn appreciating the game instead of feeling confused or jobbed by the refs.

Edited by NoSaint

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Coining it helmet to helmet instead of keying more on the defenseless player aspect was interesting to see fans struggle with the last several years

How they deliver rules during broadcasts has hurt the league as much as just about anything in the last decade. Better education for announcers would go a looooong way to fans understanding and in turn appreciating the game instead of feeling confused or jobbed by the refs.

I can't disagree with you.  IMHO just in yesterday's game the announcers created a bunch of confusion with their ruminations on various plays, but, at least they got the Cooks play correct.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Does 3 yards off the ball appear to be on the line? He is almost in the exact same place as the wing back.

If that is considered on the line its the most liberal definition I've ever seen the refs take...he clearly is not on the line.

Come on, that's not three yards.

The WR's foot is slightly inside the three yard-line and the LOS is the one and a half. As folks say, it wasn't a worry if he confirmed it with the ref, but that's no three yards. There was another play much earlier where it was clear a play went against the Pats. Can't remember what it was. But it happened.

Oh, yeah, the Philly TD that was out of the end zone and the guy never had possession. That was pretty clear. But the "it's a conspiracy for the Pats group will conveniently ignore that, as it doesn't fit their preconceptions.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's the clip in Youtube.  At about 0:21 you can see Jeffries raise an arm and point at the ref momentarily - this would be him checking - and the ref would thumb up or thumb down.  If he thumbed down, Jeffries would presumably move up.

If the zebra gave him the thumbs-up it would surely be ticky-tack to then call it.

Nice.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

look at 41 sec mark. dark line where left toe drags before it hits white. This was after he put it in left arm secure and right foot was down then left foot down.

I just don't see what either of you two do.

The whole foot has to get down inbounds. He's not sliding that foot, he's stepping. If any part of the foot hits out, it's out. And it's out.

As for "moving the ball," yeah, you can move the ball but when he initially catches it he appears to have control but not be sure of it. More than half of the ball is out but he's got what appears to be a good grip and both feet down.

But then his left foot comes off the ground and he lets go with both hands to move them to a surer grip. He gets the better grip but his left foot having been in the air lands half in and half out. Incompletion. 

A virtually impossible play to call at game speed but if there was a conspiracy, they'd have gone the Pats way initially and that might have been tough or even impossible to overturn.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It wasnt but the ref said it was.

And players in motion...99% of them are moving towards the line of scrimmage at the snap

Yeah, or guys in motion coming to a stop but not holding it for the second they're supposed to. The play starts milliseconds after they were moving. Never gets called. 

Edited by Thurman#1