Refs miss obvious illegal formation penalty on Foles TD catch

Big Turk

48 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Eagles kick off to Cheats who down the ball.  On first and 10 from the 25, Cheats WR is stepping on 25 yard line, no offsides call.  The refs in this league miss plays every game, a lot of them.  It's why I stopped doing the Zebra Report, it was a waste of time.

It was a waste of time because that call rarely gets made anyways.

If that's what you are looking to point out, get over it. Tons of relatively inconsequential things are looked over in every sport.

17 minutes ago, papazoid said:

The Eagles committed pass interference on the last play of Super Bowl LII. Why didn't refs throw a flag ?

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/05/eagles-pass-interference-patriots-super-bowl-final-play-hail-mary/

Problem is that is not PI at most that is illegal contact since the ball is not in the air at that point.  They could of had an extra play, but I think it was a good no call.

Bottom line: he checked with the ref and the ref gave him the OK.  Ergo, it was not a penalty.  we of course have those here who claim the ref is wrong or that the player was lying, but no reason to take any of that seriously.  It is a judgment call, the ref makes the judgment, and that's that.  The ref makes the judgment because that is his job.

The call on the back of the end zone pass?  Could have gone either way.  But, again, it is a judgment.  And that's what refs do: make judgment calls.  Personally I wish they'd get rid of replay entirely, and allow the teams and the fans to simply accept that human error can happen at times.

I'm sorry some people want to have the world as all black and white when in reality the world is a series of grays. 

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

As for "moving the ball," yeah, you can move the ball but when he initially catches it he appears to have control but not be sure of it. More than half of the ball is out but he's got what appears to be a good grip and both feet down.

Then that's a catch right there, as long as he has control when he goes to the ground.

But then his left foot comes off the ground and he lets go with both hands to move them to a surer grip. He gets the better grip but his left foot having been in the air lands half in and half out. Incompletion. 

I don't see both hands come off the ball.  I can find no angle on the Interwebs where you can see both hands come off the ball.  The ball is not being bobbled or juggled - you agree with that, yes?  It's not slipping down his body or popping up towards his chin?

To call moving the ball as he steps out of bounds "losing control" or an incompletion, would be adding a new rule.

I agree there is no "toe dragging" but whether or not his foot steps out of bounds while he's moving the ball is irrelevant, as long as the ball is in control as he goes to the ground.

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

The Eagles committed pass interference on the last play of Super Bowl LII. Why didn't refs throw a flag ?

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/05/eagles-pass-interference-patriots-super-bowl-final-play-hail-mary/

Where was Brady at that point, is key.  Remember Sherman blowing up Powell in Seattle?

If Brady is in the pocket, it's PI.  If Brady has rolled out of the pocket at that point (I believe he had), it's not PI, it's a legal mugging.

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I know it wasn't a penalty per the rule book... but that was a dirty and unnecessary play by Malcolm Jenkins. 

I wasn't a fan of that hit on Cooks at all. 

I think he was headhunting, legally.  But while I'm sorry for Cooks, after Gronk mugged Tre White after the whistle and stayed in the game, I've had a big layer of "sorry" stripped right off the top of me where Pats as a team are concerned.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Come on, that's not three yards.

The WR's foot is slightly inside the three yard-line and the LOS is the one and a half. As folks say, it wasn't a worry if he confirmed it with the ref, but that's no three yards. There was another play much earlier where it was clear a play went against the Pats. Can't remember what it was. But it happened.

Apparently the relevant body parts are the center's hip and the WR helmet (head), not his hips.  I give him maybe half a yard.

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I know it wasn't a penalty per the rule book... but that was a dirty and unnecessary play by Malcolm Jenkins. 

I loved it. If you don't want to get knocked out stop dancing in the middle of the field.

I didn't realize by the letter of the law it was a legal hit.

It still is a bad look for the NFL, that a hit like that where he clearly targeted Cooks head with his helmet at full speed is tolerated. Remember how many people watch the Super Bowl. A lot of Moms just had confirmed in their minds why they won't allow kids to play.

I stand by my comment about it having a bigger impact than the Jeffery incident.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

I call that a good no call. Every Eagle is turned around, and contact is far less than the mugging than Gronk regularly doles out to DBs

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I just don't see what either of you two do.

The whole foot has to get down inbounds. He's not sliding that foot, he's stepping. If any part of the foot hits out, it's out. And it's out.

As for "moving the ball," yeah, you can move the ball but when he initially catches it he appears to have control but not be sure of it. More than half of the ball is out but he's got what appears to be a good grip and both feet down.

But then his left foot comes off the ground and he lets go with both hands to move them to a surer grip. He gets the better grip but his left foot having been in the air lands half in and half out. Incompletion. 

A virtually impossible play to call at game speed but if there was a conspiracy, they'd have gone the Pats way initially and that might have been tough or even impossible to overturn.

Yeah, or guys in motion coming to a stop but not holding it for the second they're supposed to. The play starts milliseconds after they were moving. Never gets called. 

It is hard to see unless you blow up the vid to full screen and play in slow mo due to navy blue end zone. At 41 sec mark you can clearly see a dark line mark made as his toes slide on turf kicking up rubber pellets of the turf. That means he is touching in bounds. Just like the dark strip KB made dragging his toes in NE on TD called back vs Pats this year. Except Eagle has ball secure as he already changed hands unlike KB did.

at 1:08 he clearly has ball secure in left arm. Right foot down and left foot toes ar starting to drag. He never steps down flat footed, and toes slide out of bounds.

The whole foot does not need to get in bounds. That only comes into play when a player steps straight down like a normal step walking, and contacts heel first then toes come down flat. For some reason then NFL considers that out of bounds if heel is in but flat footed toes are out. It was reversed in Bills favor in MN Super Bowl vs Wash on end line in end zone negating a Wash TD. You could argue if heel touches down first then completing the step flat footed with toes out could still be legal catch but NFL has set precedence for that and they say Out of bounds. If you are going to argue Eagles needed whole foot to be inbounds you are wrong. He never steps flat he slides his toes and that is all he needs to do.

Just when he gets full control in left arm after changing ball position his right foot is down, he then drags his left toes inbounds and maintains control in left arm before his toes reach the white. TD all day.

Edited by cba fan

On 2/6/2018 at 1:31 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

I thought it was just a great defensive play. Cooks was doing circles on the field completely unaware and unafraid . Jenkins tried to separate him from the ball and make a big play for his team. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 3